Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jul 2019, 18:31 (Ref:3919340)   #1376
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Personally, I'd say that it does. It is 'natural' for cars to race in wet conditions - always has been. Mother nature intervenes from time to time and provided the conditions aren't monsoon-like, there is an expectation that racing will take place. Artificially creating those conditions sounds very different to me in that there is control being exercised over them and the decision to race. I suppose if all teams signed up to a contractual agreement to race in whatever conditions are presented/dictated to them, natural or otherwise, maybe that would cover it, but is there ever any chance of that happening....... No. And would I want to see that? No.
Old 25 Jul 2019, 19:43 (Ref:3919350)   #1377
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Thats the end of F1 then,it's far too dangerous for humans to participate in these days of Health & Safety gone mad.
Old 25 Jul 2019, 20:52 (Ref:3919356)   #1378
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep. Have you seen the new H&S compliant race suits for next season yet?
Attached Thumbnails
michelin-man-tyre-mascot-cartoon-mascot-costume.jpg  
Old 25 Jul 2019, 21:05 (Ref:3919357)   #1379
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Thats the end of F1 then,it's far too dangerous for humans to participate in these days of Health & Safety gone mad.

Not all; there is a world of difference between the track becoming wet by virtue of the natural elements of the weather, and a contrived situation where the circuit is soaked by artificial means.

Lest people forget, the Bianci family are still pursuing legal action because of the actions taken by the Race Director that they believe was the primary cause in the unfortunate death of Jules - which I personally believe is doomed to fail because it was evident that Jules was not driving in a manner that accorded to a) the conditions and more importantly, b) his knowledge that another car had already gone off heavily at that exact spot (he had already observed the scene on the previous lap, or he should have done so) and the fact that his telemetry showed that he didn't slow anywhere near enough when double yellows were being waved.

However, it doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to believe that if that accident had occurred as a result of the track being wet because the Race Director had had the sprinklers turned on, that the legal argument might well be won by a suing plaintiff.
Old 26 Jul 2019, 00:30 (Ref:3919363)   #1380
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Not all; there is a world of difference between the track becoming wet by virtue of the natural elements of the weather, and a contrived situation where the circuit is soaked by artificial means.
How exactly is there a world of difference? The complex corners in the track that make it difficult to navigate are contrived and are not natural. Parts of the sport are purposefully made to be difficult. The entire sport is artificial. If anything, natural weather may be MORE "unpredictable" in both timing and volume than a human created version. I think a more winnable argument would be... why do we race in the rain?

Quote:
Lest people forget, the Bianci family are still pursuing legal action because of the actions taken by the Race Director that they believe was the primary cause in the unfortunate death of Jules - which I personally believe is doomed to fail because it was evident that Jules was not driving in a manner that accorded to a) the conditions and more importantly, b) his knowledge that another car had already gone off heavily at that exact spot (he had already observed the scene on the previous lap, or he should have done so) and the fact that his telemetry showed that he didn't slow anywhere near enough when double yellows were being waved.
IMHO totally irrelevant. While his accident happened in wet conditions, the entire thing could have happen in dry conditions, or in some other scenario (oil on track, etc.) Broadly speaking the Bianci situation is about alleged negligence, which just happened in a wet situation. Other examples (Senna) happened in the dry. It was not about the expected, potential or allowable level of risk that everyone signs up for.

Quote:
However, it doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to believe that if that accident had occurred as a result of the track being wet because the Race Director had had the sprinklers turned on, that the legal argument might well be won by a suing plaintiff.
Again, IMHO it actually is a huge stretch.

The sport is inherently dangerous, but there are controls in place to mitigate risk (crash barriers to protect spectators, crash cells for the drivers, etc.). The sport has already deemed that racing on a wet track is OK. It makes provisions for it in both the rules and the equipment.

I would say that assuming the human created situation is no worse (quantity of water, advanced notice, etc.) than that of the natural event, that it would be hard to make a winnable legal case.

I don't advocate for artificial wet tracks, but do think it's silly to assume it would clearly result in significant legal risk. With that being said... At least here in the US, you can sue anyone for just about any reason.

Richard
Old 26 Jul 2019, 08:14 (Ref:3919398)   #1381
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the problem in the past is we've had cars stacked up behind the safety car when they are on wets, then as soon as the SC comes in, they're immediately in for inters! Used to drive me mad
Old 28 Jul 2019, 15:58 (Ref:3920058)   #1382
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
So that’s three excellent races in a row.

Remind me again what we’re trying to fix?
Old 28 Jul 2019, 16:03 (Ref:3920059)   #1383
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A bloke in the pub told me that he thinks F1 isn't what it used to be, so that's what we're trying to fix.

He also mentioned that he knows where Lord Lucan went, so his opinion is completely valid.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 16:13 (Ref:3920060)   #1384
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How to fix F1?

Hockenheim grade tarmac.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 16:15 (Ref:3920061)   #1385
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
To make a less flippant observation, perhaps the ‘problem’ is some of the tracks. Maybe the answer starts with ‘don’t race at Paul Ricard’.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 16:24 (Ref:3920066)   #1386
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
To make a less flippant observation, perhaps the ‘problem’ is some of the tracks. Maybe the answer starts with ‘don’t race at Paul Ricard’.

I reckon Paul Ricard would already be a lot better for F1 (racing at least) if the chicane was much closer to the start or the end of the mistral straight (I would prefer a corner corner combination closer to the start. That way you get much more high speed action into Signes.

That said, the direct surroundings off the track would still not be ideal.

P.S. I vote for a Sottish Grand Prix...
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 19:42 (Ref:3920093)   #1387
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
more races like that
Old 29 Jul 2019, 01:56 (Ref:3920162)   #1388
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got an idea. Sprinklers all around the circuit so the whole thing is wet and the teams get told 30 minutes before the race start whether it will be a wet race or not. During the race the water added could be varied to change the grip and if they all come in to change tyres then put it back to what it was before the tyre changes and they can do it all again. The main advantage of doing this would be the pit teams would running around like headless chickens, chaos would ensue and everyone would get P'd off. If it is a dry race we would see things as they are.
Old 29 Jul 2019, 04:03 (Ref:3920175)   #1389
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Amazing to think that the last three races which have been so good are all on traditional old school circuits..
Old 29 Jul 2019, 12:35 (Ref:3920225)   #1390
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Amazing to think that the last three races which have been so good are all on traditional old school circuits..
I wonder if that is a significant differentiator? Is it the layouts or the crowds that spur the drivers on to better results? Combination no doubt.

Either way, its very fortunate that such fun races happened in front of large live audiences. The fans deserve that.
Old 29 Jul 2019, 12:37 (Ref:3920228)   #1391
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think we need cars with more power than grip if Hockenheim is anything to go by
Old 29 Jul 2019, 12:44 (Ref:3920230)   #1392
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think we need cars with more power than grip if Hockenheim is anything to go by
A fairly succinct summary of what needs to be done.

Although i would prefer they found a better way to achieve this then pray for rain (or artificially wet the track which i of course dont mind) and/or continue to make marginal tires.

Although i do think it is fair to say that Austria and GB benefitted from the harder compound allotments.
Old 29 Jul 2019, 19:27 (Ref:3920298)   #1393
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Amazing to think that the last three races which have been so good are all on parts of traditional old school circuits..
(My addition in bold)

Don't forget that the "traditional" circuit makes up very little of the current circuit in all three cases - the Red Bull Ring is only about 1/2 of the original Österreichring, Hockenheim is the same having lost the blast out into the forest & back while Silverstone has been re-modelled many times over the years.
Old 29 Jul 2019, 20:09 (Ref:3920302)   #1394
S griffin
Veteran

True point there, although Silverstone has managed to retain a similar character throughout.
Old 29 Jul 2019, 20:14 (Ref:3920305)   #1395
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
True point there, although Silverstone has managed to retain a similar character throughout.
Spot on. Every one of Silverstone's layouts has been wide, fast, flat, windy and cold!
Old 29 Jul 2019, 23:49 (Ref:3920329)   #1396
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm confused. I thought that we hated Hockenheim because it isn't as good as the old school high speed blast that Tilke ruined. Isn't the Red Bull ring was a pale imitation of the old school Österreichring that Tilke ruined. Silverstone was ruined in 2010 for MotoGP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
(My addition in bold)

Don't forget that the "traditional" circuit makes up very little of the current circuit in all three cases - the Red Bull Ring is only about 1/2 of the original Österreichring, Hockenheim is the same having lost the blast out into the forest & back while Silverstone has been re-modelled many times over the years.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 00:02 (Ref:3920330)   #1397
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
...and run-offs that actually punish driver errors.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 00:16 (Ref:3920332)   #1398
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hear hear. And doubly so when it is a Mercedes.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 01:14 (Ref:3920334)   #1399
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Spot on. Every one of Silverstone's layouts has been wide, fast, flat, windy and cold!
They missed a trick with Silverstone. They could have run two different layouts, alternating each year. A bit like Brands and Silverstone.

2003-9 Layout:

2010 Layout:

Current Layout:

The big difference between 2010 and now, is the location of the pits.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 01:58 (Ref:3920335)   #1400
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I like that. Change each year. Variety. Give the teams more to do with set-up.