Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Mar 2019, 20:22 (Ref:3887851)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Driver Health & Safety

Mr Waters has a right old whinge on the teev yesterday, and Here about the new-for-2019 coolsuit temperature monitoring forcing him to the pits for repairs.

It makes absolute sense that Supercar did this, to assure the wellness & safety of the driver as their core temperature climbs to unsafe levels, and equally you can understand and Waters’ frustration at being the first to be called in and disadvantaged for what is fundamentally a team preparation error.

The question for me is whether Supercar has gone far enough, if the maximum temperatures selected are actually too high, or whether additional measures of temperature should also be included.

If you saw Mr Davison exit his 23Red car at the end of the race, he must have onboarded half a dozen bottles of ice cold water, and complained of blurred vision, and a lack of concentration during his last stint.

Mr Owen has a similar ‘away with the pixies’ moment back in the Autobarn RNR/ARCA day’s from heat related issues.

The simple answer is to not run in the heat, which makes no sense..
There must be something that could be done to reduce ambient cabin temperatures, and protect the driver from the massive heat infusion from driving the cars, in high or low ambient temperatures.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 Mar 2019, 20:34 (Ref:3887852)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i disagree with him that it should be a driver choice. the fact that davison continued with blurred vision and struggled to concentrate says that drivers aren't able to make the decision themselves in the heat (no pun) of competition. but otoh, everyone copes with heat differently and has different thresholds.

i assume the cars don't have air conditioning? if not, then maybe that's something that needs to be mandated for future seasons. otherwise they have to look seriously at a maximum temperature/humidity combination.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 21:41 (Ref:3887858)   #3
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As above - air conditioning!!!!

Talk of hybrid car this, turbo car that, but the current cars don't even have aircon
Old 2 Mar 2019, 21:53 (Ref:3887861)   #4
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, is the proposed 'Summer Series' really a good idea then?
Old 2 Mar 2019, 22:01 (Ref:3887863)   #5
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely there could be a refrigerant-driven cool suit system to replace the problematic dry ice ones we have now? Also massively increase airflow through the cabin for hot races; design it in, not just take a window out. A filtered, cooled air system like Baja racers use would help, there were comments about the heat of the air they breathe.

Also after seeing Rick Kelly's piece showing the underside of the car, work could be done on heat insulation to avoid burning feet too.

Did Davison have a cool suit failure, or not get picked up by the new monitoring system?
Old 2 Mar 2019, 22:19 (Ref:3887868)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
what exactly is the monitoring system they use at the moment?
Old 2 Mar 2019, 22:21 (Ref:3887870)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
what exactly is the monitoring system they use at the moment?
Measures the water temp of the cool suit system.. 32.7C is the cutoff, then the driver is required to go to the pits & get the issue corrected.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 22:23 (Ref:3887871)   #8
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Surely there could be a refrigerant-driven cool suit system to replace the problematic dry ice ones we have now? Also massively increase airflow through the cabin for hot races; design it in, not just take a window out. A filtered, cooled air system like Baja racers use would help, there were comments about the heat of the air they breathe.

Also after seeing Rick Kelly's piece showing the underside of the car, work could be done on heat insulation to avoid burning feet too.

Did Davison have a cool suit failure, or not get picked up by the new monitoring system?
The catagory mandated a NACA duct in the roof probably 15 or so years ago.

But I agree that more could be done to improve on it.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 22:31 (Ref:3887875)   #9
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not compulsory for drivers to wear cool suits is it? I recall Lowndes saying he and Richo didn't use them in the Supercheap 1000 last year?
Old 2 Mar 2019, 23:18 (Ref:3887884)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mr Golding mentioned overnight that he was cramping up at the end of his stint as well, hydration and temperature the likely causes.

A driver is unlikely to take themselves out of the game, as we saw with Mr Reynolds last year at Bathurst.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 23:31 (Ref:3887885)   #11
M91
Rookie

M91 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridM91 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
It's not compulsory for drivers to wear cool suits is it? I recall Lowndes saying he and Richo didn't use them in the Supercheap 1000 last year?
It's compulsory if the temperature is forecast to be above a certain level. Can't remember what the temperature has to be but I think it's somewhere around 32°C
Old 3 Mar 2019, 00:35 (Ref:3887893)   #12
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has always puzzled me:
  • Why they don't use lightweight flame retardant insulation on the floors and roof. It isnt rocket science, yet NASA had some very light materials on the outisde of the shuttle....
  • The coolsuit system must have some weight associated with it. So surely, put in aircon in its place. Combine that with insulation and off you go.
If you are worried about weight, everyone would be in the same boat if it is mandated.
Old 3 Mar 2019, 00:45 (Ref:3887894)   #13
M91
Rookie

M91 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridM91 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
It has always puzzled me:
  • Why they don't use lightweight flame retardant insulation on the floors and roof. It isnt rocket science, yet NASA had some very light materials on the outisde of the shuttle....
  • The coolsuit system must have some weight associated with it. So surely, put in aircon in its place. Combine that with insulation and off you go.
If you are worried about weight, everyone would be in the same boat if it is mandated.
There are systems available that blow chilled air into the helmet and cool the coolsuit with a refrigeration system. Not sure why they aren't used, perhaps they draw too much power?
Old 3 Mar 2019, 01:03 (Ref:3887897)   #14
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
So, is the proposed 'Summer Series' really a good idea then?
Great question. That Eastern Creek round will be a beauty.
Old 3 Mar 2019, 01:09 (Ref:3887898)   #15
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Paul Morris develop a refrigerant AC system many years ago?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 3 Mar 2019, 01:17 (Ref:3887900)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Didn't Paul Morris develop a refrigerant AC system many years ago?

Yes they did, it was driven off the engine (I.e. not electric) and cost engine horsepower.
Old 3 Mar 2019, 21:49 (Ref:3888062)   #17
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Couldn't dry ice be replaced with a supremely cold glycol-type product? I'm thinking in the same context as vodka slushy-type blend.

Also, could a fan unit be added to the cars that had housing around it for dry ice to be put in and topped up during each pit stop? This would be done in such a way that the dry ice is sealed in the box in the event of a crash.
Old 3 Mar 2019, 22:18 (Ref:3888064)   #18
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Teams are always reluctant to add extra tasks to put stops. I suppose you could circumvent that with minimum pitstop deltas, but that wouldn't go down well with the purists.
Old 3 Mar 2019, 22:40 (Ref:3888072)   #19
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Yes they did, it was driven off the engine (I.e. not electric) and cost engine horsepower.
Morris' was AC for the whole cabin, which is a completely different story.

I would be surprised if AC for a driver cool suit and helmet air supply used more than 2 horsepower.

The comments by Tim Edwards in the story below describe just how finicky the dry ice system is - really should replace it with a refrigerated system similar to a beer tap chiller. (before anybody else gets in, then if the car retires the driver will be able to have a cold one while waiting for the tow truck...)

https://www.supercars.com/news/champ...it-knife-edge/

edit: they already add dry ice to the systems at pit stops - again a potential failure point if too much is added
Old 3 Mar 2019, 22:42 (Ref:3888073)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Couldn't dry ice be replaced with a supremely cold glycol-type product? I'm thinking in the same context as vodka slushy-type blend.

Also, could a fan unit be added to the cars that had housing around it for dry ice to be put in and topped up during each pit stop? This would be done in such a way that the dry ice is sealed in the box in the event of a crash.
There is a building in Sydney full of very smart engineering types who work for the mob that sell the dry ice to the teams... there may be another chemical based solution to cooling drivers.

Or more logically, the teams could be mandated to build a cool cell around their drivers, including their feet, completely insulated from the floor of the car (and the hot exhaust underneath)... crank up minimum weight by 20kg to cover the additional material...
Old 3 Mar 2019, 23:04 (Ref:3888075)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
the thing is, whilst driver cool suits are a good idea, it doesn’t address the temperature of the air they have to breathe in.
Old 3 Mar 2019, 23:41 (Ref:3888078)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
the thing is, whilst driver cool suits are a good idea, it doesn’t address the temperature of the air they have to breathe in.
The major issue in Adelaide seemed to be burning feet, lower cockpit areas without airflow to keep the soles cool. The coolsuit does not go down that far anyway
Old 3 Mar 2019, 23:55 (Ref:3888079)   #23
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Couldn't dry ice be replaced with a supremely cold glycol-type product?.
Was mentioned during the telecast they're allowed a maximum of 2% glycol in the coolsuit water piping due to it's flammability.

Old 4 Mar 2019, 00:28 (Ref:3888084)   #24
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
The major issue in Adelaide seemed to be burning feet, lower cockpit areas without airflow to keep the soles cool. The coolsuit does not go down that far anyway
You'd expect some sort of woolpack insulation beneath the leg capsule.
Old 4 Mar 2019, 02:49 (Ref:3888101)   #25
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
The teams do vent air to the footwell, but that can only achieve so much. Better to insulate the engine compartment side of the firewall, for a starting point why not try the turbo heat shield material, with a stand-off mount and an air gap behind it?