Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Sep 2009, 03:32 (Ref:2550213)   #26
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by #76sprinter View Post
Hey David,
My uncle is Peter Verheyen.
I do have some earlier pics somewhere......ill have to dig them out.
The 2nd pic is 91...the rest are 92
In the 90 ATCC the car was blue.
It got painted for the 91 season.
Im not sure if it was a TTA car to start with?
I'm pretty sure that Peter Verheyen's blue car from the 1990 ATCC was ex-TTA. I've also been told that TTA only had one 3-door AE86. There's a fellow in Sydney or Melbourne who is restoring an ex TTA AE86 3-door, it appears to be nearly complete but i have lost contact with him.

I'm presently restoring the #72 car from your first pic.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 03:51 (Ref:2550221)   #27
#76sprinter
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
#76sprinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh awesome.........
I think the car was red when my uncle first got it.......which would make sense with the TTA bit.......But i think it was red all over?
Old 29 Sep 2009, 04:01 (Ref:2550225)   #28
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh awesome.........
I think the car was red when my uncle first got it.......which would make sense with the TTA bit.......But i think it was red all over?
All red then all blue would make it the car raced at the time by David Ratcliffe.

Psumably then long time Toyota tuner Mike Quinn's Phoenix Motorsport operation would have had some connection with the car.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 04:06 (Ref:2550227)   #29
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
I'm pretty sure that Peter Verheyen's blue car from the 1990 ATCC was ex-TTA. I've also been told that TTA only had one 3-door AE86. There's a fellow in Sydney or Melbourne who is restoring an ex TTA AE86 3-door, it appears to be nearly complete but i have lost contact with him.

I'm presently restoring the #72 car from your first pic.
Patto, that follows on from TTA's original two cars from 1985 being one fastback three-door AE80 series car and a notchback AE80 series two or four (can remember which) door car. The notchback car was retired from racing fairly early on and was a static display car by the 1990s.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 04:09 (Ref:2550228)   #30
#76sprinter
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
What years?
Old 29 Sep 2009, 04:32 (Ref:2550237)   #31
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only all-red AE86 hatch I can think of is Richard Stiegler's Alltoy-backed car. IIRC, that might have been ex-TTA. Mike Mortimer ran that car at Bathurst in '88 but I'm not sure what happened to it after that.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 04:37 (Ref:2550239)   #32
#76sprinter
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
The Quinn/ Ratcliffe car was running in the red and white colours....#78 in 90.....so i guess that means it wasnt that car.....i think that is the car that Geoff full and mike conway ran in 91 was it?.....cant remember......i was only 6 yrs old.....lol...
And i thought they were sprinters not Levin's........I know some will say no difference but there is......but the parts are interchangable too.......
Old 29 Sep 2009, 04:57 (Ref:2550243)   #33
#76sprinter
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
sorry guys.........Geoff Full ran with Morris in 91 and Mike Conway with Calvin Gardiner......
Old 29 Sep 2009, 06:21 (Ref:2550262)   #34
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
Patto, that follows on from TTA's original two cars from 1985 being one fastback three-door AE80 series car and a notchback AE80 series two or four (can remember which) door car. The notchback car was retired from racing fairly early on and was a static display car by the 1990s.
TTA ran a pair of AE86 notchback two door cars in the 1987 B1000. They never raced a four door Corolla.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 06:30 (Ref:2550266)   #35
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
The Quinn/ Ratcliffe car was running in the red and white colours....#78 in 90.....so i guess that means it wasnt that car.....i think that is the car that Geoff full and mike conway ran in 91 was it?.....cant remember......i was only 6 yrs old.....lol...
And i thought they were sprinters not Levin's........I know some will say no difference but there is......but the parts are interchangable too.......
The AE86 Corolla was called the Levin in Japan, the Corolla GT in England and the Corolla Sprinter in Australia. They were virtually identical, but the Australian version was grossly inferior to the Levin and Corolla GT mechanically. The Australian Spec was not homologated for Group A.

Ratcliff's team always referred to their car as a Levin and Bob Holden's team called their's Sprinter, even though all three of them were Sprinters which had been built up to Levin specification.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 06:34 (Ref:2550268)   #36
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
sorry guys.........Geoff Full ran with Morris in 91 and Mike Conway with Calvin Gardiner......
I'm quite sure Geoff Full took over the Ratcliff car when they got out of the class. I don't know where that car is now.

The Mike Conway/Calvin Gardiner car from 1991 was Bob Holden's car, it was the first Group A car in Australia and i believe it holds the record for Bathurst starts, 10 of them!!!! That car is currently being restored by forum member terryO.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 07:46 (Ref:2550295)   #37
#76sprinter
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
Dont stop now guys!
Im fascinated.......lol
I will have to get all the photos scanned so i can throw them up......i dare say there are a few with your cars in them!
Old 29 Sep 2009, 14:27 (Ref:2550553)   #38
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Mortimer/Ratcliff Sprinter was all red in 1988 Bathurst 1000. Verheyen/Searle Sprinter was all blue in 1990 Bathurst.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 00:27 (Ref:2550913)   #39
jiminee
Racer

jiminee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please do #76Sprinter, I am painting David's car in its various liveries for rFactor and wuold love any additional reference material you have!
Old 30 Sep 2009, 11:40 (Ref:2551142)   #40
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminee View Post
Please do #76Sprinter, I am painting David's car in its various liveries for rFactor and wuold love any additional reference material you have!
And I will be signwriting it once it is painted so the more pics the better.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 1 Oct 2009, 05:40 (Ref:2551666)   #41
dougcharli
Rookie

dougcharli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greg Whittaker in Queensland ended up with the original Group A TTA Sprinter, having campaigned a 1974 Twin Cam celica rally car for many years.
He campaigned spasmodically over the next seson or two, but where it is now, I have no idea.
Old 4 Oct 2009, 04:55 (Ref:2553578)   #42
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr View Post
The only all-red AE86 hatch I can think of is Richard Stiegler's Alltoy-backed car. IIRC, that might have been ex-TTA. Mike Mortimer ran that car at Bathurst in '88 but I'm not sure what happened to it after that.
Richard Stieglar or "Biggles" to his mates would be stoked to see his name and former business talked about. Years ealier he also had a very succesful FFord team sponsored by Bracks Slacks and his team mate was one Wally Storey...