Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 27 Nov 2006, 22:34 (Ref:1776204)   #26
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well thats precisely why Schumacher got his name on the front - if it hadn't been there the circulation would probably have dropped with it being a Touring Car front cover.

(it's the first I can remember in 7 years of subscribing!)
Old 27 Nov 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1776216)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was just a frame of reference that everyone knows and the most catchy thing anyone said about him. No need to be picky here I feel.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 09:00 (Ref:1776436)   #28
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the general theme of Autosport, I've always wondered why the don't offer extra-cheap rates for subscriptions (like the American magazine business model) which would get all the enthusiasts like ourselves to subscribe and they'd have a guaranteed quality readership over the off-season when there isn't much real news, which would encourage advertisers.

Right, onto Motoring News.... 1) print it in "magazine size" so it gets on the shelf with the other motoring mags rather than hidden away with Dalton's Weekly and Doggie News. 2) That is all.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 17:37 (Ref:1776834)   #29
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The thing is, Theissen was the one who gave that Schumacher comparison. Slam him, not Autosport!

It's a nice comparison though.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1776901)   #30
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I doubt very much it is simply because of 'appealing to the wide audience.'
Its a motor racing related magazine. F1 is the pinacle in this country so that's why its at the top. When there is no F1 racing, it feels obviously that other stuff is worthy of being no1. Take Le Mans, Indy 500, WRC, Touring cars. If it was purley devoted to the wide audience all the time it would never and only feature F1.
If the same publication wanted to appeal to the general public/casual fans and not big motor sport or even hardcore fans if you say then why do you think their sister mag F1 Racing was made? If that isn't enough, it also contains pretty pictures and glitz and glamour of F1 which is ITV all the way in terms of its TV show, which is right down the street of attracting the casual fan and general public.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1776906)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
On the general theme of Autosport, I've always wondered why the don't offer extra-cheap rates for subscriptions..
I thought they did? I certainly don't pay the cover price for the magazine on my subscription.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T
Right, onto Motoring News.... 1) print it in "magazine size" so it gets on the shelf with the other motoring mags rather than hidden away with Dalton's Weekly and Doggie News. 2) That is all.
Make it more like Autosport?
Old 28 Nov 2006, 21:54 (Ref:1776992)   #32
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I thought they did? I certainly don't pay the cover price for the magazine on my subscription.
True, but not by US standards, which is what Truckosaurus was refering to. Most US mags are heavily discounted to subscribers, as much as 50% of the cover price in some cases.

Quote:
Make it more like Autosport?
How about more like Auto Express. Magazine sized but newspaper in style.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1777004)   #33
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
True, but not by US standards, which is what Truckosaurus was refering to. Most US mags are heavily discounted to subscribers, as much as 50% of the cover price in some cases.

More than that, more like 80% in many cases if you shop around. For instance, RACER mag has been offered by them recently for $15 for a 12 issue sub.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 22:21 (Ref:1777010)   #34
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
I didn't realise it was that much. Having said when posting above I didn't know what my subscription costs and I don't know what a single issue costs at the news agent! I think I pay £26-a-quarter subs and I have just checked an issue costs £2.90.
Quote:
I have no problem with the current format. I would hate to think that a change like that makes a difference. Surely content is the most important thing for people when buying something? Hmmm, perhaps I'm being silly Anyway if it helps I guess that is a good thing.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 13:06 (Ref:1777750)   #35
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Co-incidental I've just received some junk mail from The Spectator magazine which is also a weekly publication, offer subscription deals for less than a pound an issue.

As others have confirmed, I can subscribe (in the UK) to American publications like Car&Driver, Road&Track or Automobile for about a pound an issue. (In the States the sub price is less a dollar, (about 50p an issue these days)).

My idea about Motoring News (sic) becoming more magazine sized was so that it could be stocked along the car magazines, I like MN's content, but I never seem to make an impulse purchase of it as it has to be searched out in most newsagents.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1784411)   #36
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, after moaning for many years - the last four in particular - that "there is nothing in it nowadays" {well at least that interests me}, in the National Racing bit at the back, I've gone and done it.
Having subscribed for many a long year, two days ago I finally got off my butt and cancelled the sub. Today's issue and three more and that is it for me.
It has gone too sensationalist and tabloid style for my liking and the non F1 coverage is abysmal, as is the lazy journalism - where a four page spread is full of large photos and just shy of a page worth of text.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1784485)   #37
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It did have a shiny cover this week though.

The downer for me was the inclusion of two DC "jokes" in the quotes section.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 22:28 (Ref:1784510)   #38
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest, there was one I did find quite funny!
Old 7 Dec 2006, 22:47 (Ref:1784525)   #39
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
The downer for me was the inclusion of two DC "jokes" in the quotes section.
However the caption for the DC photo in the awards section makes up for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
To be honest, there was one I did find quite funny!
You should see someone about that.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 22:49 (Ref:1784528)   #40
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Adam...it worries me. Something is wrong when you find DC's comments amusing

Hopefully a van will come for me tomorrow
Old 8 Dec 2006, 10:37 (Ref:1784981)   #41
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
However the caption for the DC photo in the awards section makes up for it.
Hadn't noticed that!