Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Mar 2020, 18:49 (Ref:3962825)   #51
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Is the ramp of big SU's with nicely designed trumpets (air horns?) fitted to a XK engine. The white 9 Jag' may be?
Indeed that is the car that engine is from.
Old 10 Mar 2020, 19:06 (Ref:3962831)   #52
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Ha ça y est, tu es sorti de ton lit! C'est pas trop tôt… Quelle est cette mob' fabuleuse déguisée en café racer, the Dutchman moped? They dont make electric ones only? The fuel is in the frame Ã* la mode Buell if I'm right? What a piece of kit with handlebars en forme de moustache de gendarme! Love it.
Old 11 Mar 2020, 00:31 (Ref:3962908)   #53
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ha ça y est, tu es sorti de ton lit! C'est pas trop tôt… Quelle est cette mob' fabuleuse déguisée en café racer, the Dutchman moped? They dont make electric ones only? The fuel is in the frame Ã* la mode Buell if I'm right? What a piece of kit with handlebars en forme de moustache de gendarme! Love it.
Hehehe the cafe racer moped,which I dont know the history of, the 1938 Australian delivered unrestored /original 1 previous owner (1938-2018) Harley with sidecar, Red Fully modded Stingray, Lucky Strike ex Lauda /Scheckter March 73S and ex Carroll Shelly Allard are all owned by the same guy, Joe Calleja. Oh and the brother of the original Harley owner owns one exactly the same, also Aus delivered in 1938, which Joe also owns!
He raced all of the cars over the weekend, riding the other toys round the paddock.. Actually that is not true, Aussie touring car legend John Bowe drove the Allard.
Old 11 Mar 2020, 02:02 (Ref:3962921)   #54
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or were you referring to the red "postie bike" - I was going to say Honda CT110 but it appears the one photographed may be another model.

I don't think I've seen a Valiant S-series racing in Group N before - here's the 225 slant six engine with triple webers. Does anyone recognise car 77? It's on a Victorian club permit and was running in the regularity category.
Attached Thumbnails
Valiant engine.jpg   Car 77.jpg  
Old 11 Mar 2020, 02:57 (Ref:3962934)   #55
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Or were you referring to the red "postie bike" - I was going to say Honda CT110 but it appears the one photographed may be another model.

I don't think I've seen a Valiant S-series racing in Group N before - here's the 225 slant six engine with triple webers. Does anyone recognise car 77? It's on a Victorian club permit and was running in the regularity category.
According to the results, it is a 1963 Elgaram Jaguar driven by John Noble (VIC)
Not a car I recognise, so I can't help you with more details sorry.
Old 11 Mar 2020, 03:06 (Ref:3962941)   #56
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Tilleys raced one...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aussie...ts/33557563138
Old 11 Mar 2020, 06:22 (Ref:3962956)   #57
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Obviously in Aus, you're good musicians too! Looking at all those trumpets many nice mechanical orchestras around! The longer the better, then…
Old 11 Mar 2020, 06:40 (Ref:3962959)   #58
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Dis moi Chris, juste entre toi et moi… Il n'y a pas de SIMCA!!!
Old 11 Mar 2020, 07:38 (Ref:3962964)   #59
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:

A guy called Karl Prosenic used to run a Valiant S Series in Vic back in the late 80's early 90's. A blue one IIRC, complete with push button manual gear selection!

#77 is Jon Noble's Elgaram Jaguar from 1963.
Old 11 Mar 2020, 07:46 (Ref:3962965)   #60
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Dis moi Chris, juste entre toi et moi… Il n'y a pas de SIMCA!!!
No usually the Group N Historic Tourers had seperate races for the smaller and larger engine sizes. This year it was all together meaning some may have been knocked back on grid limits? But no Simca there unfortunately. That and a near $800 entry fee which I know scared a few away, especially as decent price accomodation at PI is always scarce, this last weekend also being a long weekend public holiday would have had non motorsport people taking up accomodation.
Old 11 Mar 2020, 09:52 (Ref:3962994)   #61
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
No usually the Group N Historic Tourers had seperate races for the smaller and larger engine sizes. This year it was all together meaning some may have been knocked back on grid limits? But no Simca there unfortunately. That and a near $800 entry fee which I know scared a few away, especially as decent price accomodation at PI is always scarce, this last weekend also being a long weekend public holiday would have had non motorsport people taking up accomodation.
Exactly how to kill the Goose that laid the Golden Egg...well done VHRR

I'm sure Geoff would have been there if the opportunity presented itself...
Attached Thumbnails
P1040286 Simca.jpg  

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 11 Mar 2020 at 10:04.
Old 11 Mar 2020, 16:13 (Ref:3963087)   #62
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
If you dont mind, please tell your S.I.M.C.A bloke he has several fans here!
Re the organisation its absolutely not my business but let me tell you that if I count well 800 A$ are 460 € for this price you only have a clubby day here! Ex VAT and insurances!!!
One hour at Bugatti track end of the season will be around 1200 €…
Old 12 Mar 2020, 00:28 (Ref:3963204)   #63
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Re the organisation its absolutely not my business but let me tell you that if I count well 800 A$ are 460 € for this price you only have a clubby day here! Ex VAT and insurances!!!
One hour at Bugatti track end of the season will be around 1200 €…
With all due respect Gerard...you have many, many more competitors trying to get onto each European track...Australie is a long, long way from anywhere and we have a relatively small population...therefore, it is all relative...we are not used to paying large amounts of Pesos to compete at a meeting...
Old 12 Mar 2020, 01:43 (Ref:3963214)   #64
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Also Vince Parisi who last year ran in the Simca Vedette.
Old 12 Mar 2020, 01:56 (Ref:3963221)   #65
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
With all due respect Gerard...you have many, many more competitors trying to get onto each European track...Australie is a long, long way from anywhere and we have a relatively small population...therefore, it is all relative...we are not used to paying large amounts of Pesos to compete at a meeting...
Plus given the distance of cities from each other.....look at the costs incurred by the many who brought their rigs, be it car and trailer or huge transporter, the 8000+klms return from Western Australia to PI. Paris to Istanbul is much closer (Prob 1500 klms closer) than Perth to PI!
Old 12 Mar 2020, 03:17 (Ref:3963250)   #66
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Thanks bludvl & EB for the info - I'd only checked the program & should have known better.

Now that you've reminded me 275GTB4 I think I have seen the Tilley Val on the tv, definitely not in person.

This year was year of the Volvo with a 144, 142 and 122 running. Also the Valiant mentioned earlier plus for Gerard the Citroen.
Attached Thumbnails
PI HTC12.jpg   PI HTC142.jpg   PI HTC51.jpg  

PI HTC61.jpg  
Old 12 Mar 2020, 07:28 (Ref:3963279)   #67
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thanks John875, love those pics specially the 122, my first love.
GTB and EB, you pointed right, all is relative. All I can say is that looking at a road map or even Googling your country its impossible to image those distances. The longer journey I made in EU by passion helped by some start money was Paris Enna Pergusa. What hassle… Sorry, was so young!
Old 12 Mar 2020, 08:19 (Ref:3963297)   #68
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How long does it take teams to travel from Western Australia to Phillip Island ?
Old 12 Mar 2020, 11:52 (Ref:3963403)   #69
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
How long does it take teams to travel from Western Australia to Phillip Island ?
Google maps says 38 hours for 3550 km. That's non-stop too, so 4-5 days would be a more usual duration.
Old 12 Mar 2020, 14:00 (Ref:3963449)   #70
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allowing setting up, dismantling, and the four days of the meeting the Western Australia teams must be away for the best part of a fortnight, some undertaking.
Old 12 Mar 2020, 20:52 (Ref:3963591)   #71
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just home!! Had a great time, got lots of photos I am just starting to process, some of which may yet appear here.

Great to meet Dr Bob, and pleased to see the Bimmer went well!
Old 12 Mar 2020, 22:41 (Ref:3963647)   #72
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks bludvl & EB for the info - I'd only checked the program & should have known better.

Now that you've reminded me 275GTB4 I think I have seen the Tilley Val on the tv, definitely not in person.

This year was year of the Volvo with a 144, 142 and 122 running. Also the Valiant mentioned earlier plus for Gerard the Citroen.
There was also a 242GT running in Group C&A
Old 19 Mar 2020, 04:26 (Ref:3965458)   #73
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
There was also a 242GT running in Group C&A
Yes that's correct; for the benefit of readers the other cars were running in Group N historic touring cars which can be new builds to quasi-period regs, compared to Group C & A which must be original cars raced in period. Here's the 242GT - I was trying to get a scenic background in the shots from the end of the straight - not many race tracks can match this!

On a different note, this car is what I think was Mark Skaife's 1991 & 92 Gold Star winning SPA 003. Or do I have it wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
PI HTC441.jpg   PI RR111.jpg  
Old 19 Mar 2020, 09:19 (Ref:3965472)   #74
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a few from my track action gallery https://edcory.smugmug.com/Motorsportphotos/2020-Phillip-Island-Historics-Pit-Paddock/

Very neat Elfin-Alfa

Nalla Special, blown Holden grey.
Old 19 Mar 2020, 09:21 (Ref:3965473)   #75
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Hmm, I must have overstepped some limit. They are not track action, obviously. More to come.