Old 30 Mar 2008, 16:15 (Ref:2165258)   #26
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggs
If the figures I've recently read are anything to go by. Silverstone only pays 8 million to host the BGP, whereas some of the newer circuits like China are paying 20 million to host their respective races.
I was refering to wether or not Silverstone kept 100% of the gate, or does Bernie get a cut of the ticket money too?
Old 30 Mar 2008, 16:20 (Ref:2165276)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
As a marshal, I could go to the GP free and gratis every year, but I don't. Regardless of the thrill of a 'big meeting' I really don't get the fuss over a below par event over hyped by it's own importance. I completely fail to understand the whole hoop-la surrounding F1. Not only is it extremely dull (I actually slept through the last one I went to even though I was standing up throughout) I find it has a malign effect on the whole of the rest of motorsports.

Personally, I agree 100%. But I see bella's point too. Perhaps I'm just a bit too conciliatory today..... But I was thinking to myself - if the ACO decided to charge me £120 instead of the £35-40 that I pay for Le Mans (actually, I pay less than that as a member), I know I'd still pay it. So I guess that proves something........
Old 30 Mar 2008, 19:06 (Ref:2165396)   #28
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
You could also add certain other high profile series into that list - BTCC for a start.
you having a laugh

BTCC doesn`t charge the earth to watch and you get a full days mix of racing.

i take it you`ve done BTCC then Stig.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 20:54 (Ref:2165499)   #29
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel
you having a laugh

BTCC doesn`t charge the earth to watch and you get a full days mix of racing.

i take it you`ve done BTCC then Stig.
I have, but as a spectator and a little while back, so maybe my views are outdated!

My comment on the BTCC was in response to this quote, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolley
Regardless of the thrill of a 'big meeting' I really don't get the fuss over a below par event over hyped by it's own importance
I think the racing in BTCC leaves a lot to be desired - as most of it is a motorised shoving match.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 23:14 (Ref:2165665)   #30
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's getting off topic here, but I don't do BTCC either...

On the one hand I think it's good GB has the GP (on the whole), and I wish the number of spectators turning up was given some importance in where the GPs go - seems Bernie would rather get a huge fee from some motor-metropolis where the crowd would be considered embarassing at a minor-leage football match then somewhere that gets 100,000 enthusiastic punters - but the prices are ludicrous and I fail to understand why anyone would pay them. Seriously poor value for money.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2166088)   #31
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I marshalled at British GP's in the late 70's & gave it up in the 90's when WE the marshal started to get "shoved out of the way", and taken over by corporate hospitality.

I now go to Spa, Monza or Germany, when I want to watch a G.P.

As a previous post said the beer & hospitality is much better !
Old 31 Mar 2008, 14:57 (Ref:2166200)   #32
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacko,

Sounds like contacting Mr. Philips has had an affect!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66264

What did you say to him
Old 31 Mar 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2166244)   #33
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
ALL circuits have a pricing structure whether we like it or not and when a certain type of ticket has sold out, they may have other combinations or options available at higher prices. Rather like the pricing structure on budget airlines if you see what I mean.

Whether you choose to attend a GP as spectator or marshal is purely a matter of personal choice. Some enjoy it (as I do) and for others it's not their cup of tea. If we all liked or agreed with the same things life would be rather tiresome.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2166245)   #34
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
*edit* double post *edit*

Last edited by Stephen Green; 31 Mar 2008 at 15:51.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2166269)   #35
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I took my son to quali last year for his first taste of F1. I went to most GPs in Britain in the seventies and early 80's with my family and have fantastic memories of those weekends. Last year was expensive for one day, but he asked if we could go to the race this year. As I wasn't impressed with the view from the bank I thought I might look at the stand at Abbey this time. Weekend tickets for the 3 of us nearly £600!! They can forget it. We went to the Robin Hood Rally a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed a full day of high class motorsport free and my young son loved it. Future F1 fan probably lost for good by ridiculous pricing. Bernie will have to make his money from somebody else.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 16:42 (Ref:2166271)   #36
Jacko
Rookie

England
Frimley, Surrey
Jacko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99
Jacko,

Sounds like contacting Mr. Philips has had an affect!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66264

What did you say to him
I told him that he needed to build a new stand IF ONLY!!

I was impressed tho he replied to my E-mail with some ticket options and when I mailed him again to say that I now had the tickets I needed he replied to that. So in my book a jolly good bloke.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 18:41 (Ref:2166354)   #37
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
the prices are ludicrous and I fail to understand why anyone would pay them. Seriously poor value for money.
Thing is, what do you compare them to?
Premiership football matches at certain clubs are around £20 now - and for that you get to watch 90minutes of action.
So, for 6 times as much (taking the £115 3-day ticket price) for three days of action (I'm not saying 'full days' as the track actions isn't jam packed - but there's enough) seems comparitively good value to me!
Old 31 Mar 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2166368)   #38
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
- if the ACO decided to charge me £120 instead of the £35-40 that I pay for Le Mans (actually, I pay less than that as a member), I know I'd still pay it. So I guess that proves something........
Absolutely!!! In 2005 I paid 54 Euros for a 4 day ticket..... - Qualifying, a full 24hr race, plus supports, plus atmosphere. I'll still watch F1, but if you're going to watch in the flesh, give me Le Mans 24hr anyday for value for money top notch motorsport
Old 31 Mar 2008, 19:10 (Ref:2166380)   #39
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=Asp]Thing is, what do you compare them to?
Premiership football matches at certain clubs are around £20 now - and for that you get to watch 90minutes of action.[quote]

I recently paid double that for a ticket to watch a high profile premiership game.

£40 to watch some of the best players in the country/europe kick a ball of air for 90 minutes - and if your lucky see a few goals. And for me its a further £20 on travel on top of that.

£170 for 6 1/2hrs of Formula One track action to watch some of the best drivers in the world drive incredibly fast.

I love my football and my F1. For me, F1 gives far greater value. It just so happens that its admission prices have steadily risen year on year, where as most other forms of motorsport have not risen a great deal. Thats what makes it seem so expensive.
Old 31 May 2008, 09:04 (Ref:2215783)   #40
ford prefect
Racer

United Kingdom
Wellingborough
ford prefect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ticket prices are high, however when looked at in context I think are are reasonable.

West End Show top price tickets £60.00, balcony tickets £35
West Ham Season ticket £895.00 (I am not a fan of football and not suggesting that one club represents good value or not.)
Alton Towers 1 Day ticket £35 adult £26 child.

So a family of four to Alton Towers costs £122, the family ticket to BGP £109.

Fan ticket bought in advance £99. 3 days entertainment, a fun weekend and a great sporting spectacle.

I like Silverstone (whilst I maybe in the minority) and, having received my tickets today, am very excited about the weekend.

4 adults and 2 children are going for £500.

I respect others viewpoints, but no one is forced to go and no one is forced to buy grandstand tickets.