Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 27 Mar 2009, 01:19 (Ref:2425718)   #26
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1:25am, or so I've been told.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 01:29 (Ref:2425730)   #27
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No chain
Old 27 Mar 2009, 01:37 (Ref:2425736)   #28
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You have to wait another day for The Chain
Old 27 Mar 2009, 03:30 (Ref:2425820)   #29
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Thoughts after first practice - great commentary team in the Radio 5 Live crew. If the main TV commentators are as good as their radio counterparts, we're in for a treat this season. If not, I'll be watching the telly on mute with 5 Live on in the background As far as the TV feed is concerned (or in this case, the red button feed) we were given more car-to-pit radio footage as promised. There seemed to be more on-board shots too - Massa, for instance, had one camera on the nose and one behind his left shoulder.

A big thumbs-up from me so far.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 05:34 (Ref:2425857)   #30
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I'm struggling to find the BBC video stream of P2. Where is it?

OK. Scratch the above. I have found it. Now it is just a matter of getting it running. I keep getting a message telling me a script in the video is casuing Adobe Flash Player to run slowly, and this may cause probelms and what not. Like computer becoming unresponsive. It seems whether I say continue with the script or not, it still pops up the same message box in a few seconds time with the same message.

It means I am just stuck on the revolving dot circle loading image thing, rather than it making the final step to showing the video.

So, nearly there. Nearly but not quite. Anyone got any thoughts on resolving this issue?
Old 27 Mar 2009, 05:52 (Ref:2425863)   #31
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite enjoying the BBC Coverage. Not really a fan of Davidson. Got too much of an ego and keeps talking about himself. And they REALLY need to cut down on the SMS Messages later, since that's all it seems to be right now.

Other than that, loving it so far.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 06:29 (Ref:2425872)   #32
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pleasantly surprised by the commentary on FP, I must admit I wondered what they would find to talk about but I'd say they are doing OK.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 06:33 (Ref:2425874)   #33
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I've given up on the streaming working for the moment, but can't get the online radio commentary going either. Whether I use RealPlayer or Windows Player it says it can't find the thing (well, in the case of windows player I have got it to say it does not support the file type). Is there a way of getting some BBC player or anything?

I wonder if the proxy I am using just isn't working. Hmmm. Well, it lets me access the site and it is a UK proxy, but I dunno. I just ain't got the knowledge of the fine details of how these gizmos function.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 06:42 (Ref:2425877)   #34
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Been watching on the 'red button' (not the 'yellow Button' as he seems to now be judging by his new helmet design )

Nice to hear Radio 5's commentary team on the box so to speak, Maurice and Ian make a good pairing and there has been good encouragement for listeners/viewers to text in with questions. I could also have watched it online if I wished too.

Overall the availability of coverage at least is better than ever before, for me anyway.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 06:57 (Ref:2425880)   #35
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
I think the radio coverage works quite well with practice... they just natter about anything and everything and oooh and ah at the odd hairy moment...

Better than the nothingness ITV had anyways

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 07:01 (Ref:2425883)   #36
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
I've given up on the streaming working for the moment, but can't get the online radio commentary going either. Whether I use RealPlayer or Windows Player it says it can't find the thing (well, in the case of windows player I have got it to say it does not support the file type). Is there a way of getting some BBC player or anything?

I wonder if the proxy I am using just isn't working. Hmmm. Well, it lets me access the site and it is a UK proxy, but I dunno. I just ain't got the knowledge of the fine details of how these gizmos function.
Well you should always have been able to access the website. It is a worldwide site, and even if you set the websites location to UK you can still browse it. However you cannot get the BBC Steams due to licensing broadcasting laws and regulations. Whilst using a Proxy can by-pass some location restrictions it is not a fool-proof method. BBC probably has one of the most advanced live streaming systems in the world, so the chance of beating it is small. However proxies also have a habit of slowing down the connection, so even if it did connect to the stream fine, you probably couldn't get it stable anyway.

The script that it complains about is probably one that is done by the proxy anyway.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2425889)   #37
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I'm glad they liked my text-in question haha I asked about the KERS off the starting line during the race.

Selby
Old 27 Mar 2009, 07:18 (Ref:2425890)   #38
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Ha! Nice one Selby. I heard that.

So far, very impressed with the coverage. Watched FP1 online with the HQ stream. Very good. Watched FP2 on the red button, again very good. I like the mix of commentry, some good banter and general chittle-chottle.

I have no quarms paying a license fee now....
Old 27 Mar 2009, 07:57 (Ref:2425909)   #39
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.cosmic.pope View Post
Well you should always have been able to access the website. It is a worldwide site, and even if you set the websites location to UK you can still browse it. However you cannot get the BBC Steams due to licensing broadcasting laws and regulations.
Yuppers, I know this. Thanks, though, .

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.cosmic.pope View Post
Whilst using a Proxy can by-pass some location restrictions it is not a fool-proof method. BBC probably has one of the most advanced live streaming systems in the world, so the chance of beating it is small. However proxies also have a habit of slowing down the connection, so even if it did connect to the stream fine, you probably couldn't get it stable anyway.

The script that it complains about is probably one that is done by the proxy anyway.
Yeah, I figured it would likely be something of this gist. Thanks for the info.

I figured it would be worth a try. I'll just justin.tv it in future, I think.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 12:51 (Ref:2426098)   #40
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Brilliant coverage, better picture quality too. Then again, I have seen pre-war television with better pictures than ITV.

Almost as good as F1 Digital.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2426112)   #41
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The red button coverage was great. I preferred the Maurice Hamilton/Ian Philips team in FP2 rather than Croft/Davidson but that's probably because I'm used to listening to F1 practice on 5LiveX.

Having re-runs of all practice sessions on line is also good idea.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 13:18 (Ref:2426115)   #42
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Freeview Channel 302 are showing both sessions on a loop all day.

Been great working having it on in the background.

Commentators also get my thumbs up
Old 27 Mar 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2426118)   #43
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
Freeview Channel 302 are showing both sessions on a loop all day.
Cool. I'll take at look at that this evening then

This may be the first F1 season in ages that I'll pay attention to.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2426123)   #44
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Recorded both sessions on the freeview recorder and have just watched both back-to-back.
Picture quality was superb.
I'm not a Five Live listener so it's the first time I've heard their free practice format. I was sceptical when I heard that it would be two different teams as it were but I thought that they managed to avoid covering the same ground very well. Obviously they were at the mercy of the Text questions but their answers to similar questions were diverse enough to keep it fresh.

Not sure I'll make the Qually live in the morning so might record FP3 and Qually and watch them back to back again.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 13:43 (Ref:2426131)   #45
Canberra>karter
Rookie

Canberra>karter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Brilliant coverage, better picture quality too. Then again, I have seen pre-war television with better pictures than ITV.

Almost as good as F1 Digital.
That may be less to do with BBC and more to do with the F1 hosts broadcasting in HD and 5.1 surround sound now.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 13:47 (Ref:2426134)   #46
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canberra>karter View Post
That may be less to do with BBC and more to do with the F1 hosts broadcasting in HD and 5.1 surround sound now.
I seriously doubt it given that it's Bernie Vision that is the Host and it's not in HD. In Australia it's being upscaled onto their HD channel.

The improvements on the BBC feed is due to the much higher quality (bit rate and bandwidth) that the BBC use on both Satellite and Digital Terrestrial TV than ITV did.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 13:55 (Ref:2426141)   #47
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'm really enjoying the coverage so far.

Tremendous.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 14:00 (Ref:2426145)   #48
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I'm really enjoying the coverage so far.

Tremendous.
The commentary was brilliant during the practice sessions. Croft and Davidson mesh really well and I'm especially surprised by the all-rounded high quality Ant brings to the table in that mix. Techie gearhead, driver's perspective insider and engaging talker. Good mix.

Thumbs way up.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2426150)   #49
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I enjoyed Maurice Hamilton and Ian Phillips too. But it isn't just the commentary, the Beeb's whole approach is spot on. Being able to sit here and call-up practice sessions and classic Grands Prix on the telly is just fantastic.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 14:10 (Ref:2426154)   #50
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is an anoraks dream.

And good coverage works wonders towards helping your overall enthusiasm.