Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 2 Jun 2014, 10:24 (Ref:3414148)   #1
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Rouen Updates

Well we went down for the test day so i thought i would give an update on the problems around Rouen, the bridge is still closed but we have few problems, the sat nav took us on the route through the city centre and to be honest on saturday evening we had no problems and coming back again we went through the city centre, this was the route we always used before the ring road and few delays to be honest.
On tuesday when we go down we will be hitting rouen lunch time so we will probably take the Yvelot route, it is longer but should be few delays and it brings us out onto the D338 and that is where we want to be.
We did take the new motorway on the way down but joined it after bourgtheroulde which cuts off 30 KM and saves a good 20 mins
Old 2 Jun 2014, 10:32 (Ref:3414153)   #2
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yvetot added a minute or two maximum both there and back for us last year - and was far more picturesque.
Old 2 Jun 2014, 10:40 (Ref:3414157)   #3
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last year was fine just taking the N28 around Rouen to the North.

Admittedly only after we had driven the wrong way towards Paris for 20 minutes...
Old 2 Jun 2014, 10:45 (Ref:3414162)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
Yvetot added a minute or two maximum both there and back for us last year - and was far more picturesque.
Yep we enjoyed the detour that way last year, but would suggest that on quite times people use rouen centre, sign posts are very good and no problems, but during the day best avoided
Old 2 Jun 2014, 12:56 (Ref:3414230)   #5
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well we went down for the test day so i thought i would give an update on the problems around Rouen, the bridge is still closed but we have few problems, the sat nav took us on the route through the city centre and to be honest on saturday evening we had no problems and coming back again we went through the city centre, this was the route we always used before the ring road and few delays to be honest.
On tuesday when we go down we will be hitting rouen lunch time so we will probably take the Yvelot route, it is longer but should be few delays and it brings us out onto the D338 and that is where we want to be.
We did take the new motorway on the way down but joined it after bourgtheroulde which cuts off 30 KM and saves a good 20 mins
Last year we headed south via Yvetot and the Pont de Brotonne: no problems and it made a pleasant change of scenery.

We returned via Rouen City Centre and equally had no problems, but this was on the Tuesday after the race, so minimal race traffic.

"Cutting the corner" - i.e. going via Bourgtheroulde Infreville not only saves time and distance, it's also marginally cheaper because you save one junction on the autoroute. Heading north on Monday saves a long wait at the Péage. Additionally, there's a small rest area where you join the motorway which is roughly halfway between the Channel ports and Le Mans and where they serve excellent frites!
Old 2 Jun 2014, 17:00 (Ref:3414381)   #6
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
I've lived just north of Rouen for 15 years now and can update you on the current situation.
If you are coming to the area in off-peak times, take Simon's advice and just follow the A28 and then the diversion signs.
In rush hour it's best to follow the HGV diversion signs via the A29 (take the Le Havre exit on the A28) and around the west of Rouen.
I have to admit that the Yvetot route, although quite pleasant in parts, always results in our having to overtake slower vehicles we had passed earlier on our journey.
Do not under any circumstances take the route back via Yvetot or Rouen involving the A29 on the Sunday after the race: there will be a 2 mile queue before the St Saens toll.
I'm not sure about Simon's arithmetic - using the Bourgtheroulde route to the second junction saves 6km, not 30 and probably takes about the same amount of time going south - but come off at the Bourgtheroulde junction going north on the Sunday - as Le Vieux says, there will be queues at the tolls at the next junction.

I have a crafty route to the east of Rouen from the A28 after the tunnel to the A13 which is particularly useful in reverse coming north:
http://www.google.com/mapmaker?saddr....1286536328666
Old 2 Jun 2014, 17:49 (Ref:3414405)   #7
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well i was probably a little over the top but it seems a lot shorter on the map and i always enjoy shortcuts
Old 13 May 2015, 13:27 (Ref:3537080)   #8
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Can anyone please tell us if the problems with the bridge are gone / works are finished?
Old 13 May 2015, 14:35 (Ref:3537107)   #9
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
yes all finished now and bridge open
Old 13 May 2015, 15:06 (Ref:3537121)   #10
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
yes all finished now and bridge open
And about time, I think it is being discussed for over 3 years now....... in that period they could have rebuild the whole city
Old 13 May 2015, 15:46 (Ref:3537136)   #11
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
And about time, I think it is being discussed for over 3 years now....... in that period they could have rebuild the whole city
The bridge was reopened last August - not after 3 years.
Lest we forget, the whole city was rebuilt after it was reduced to rubble in the second world war.
Old 14 May 2015, 17:28 (Ref:3537434)   #12
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
The bridge was reopened last August - not after 3 years.
Lest we forget, the whole city was rebuilt after it was reduced to rubble in the second world war.
Was that because of the mashalling yards? Can imagine that was a major target.
Old 14 May 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3537463)   #13
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
From Wikipedia
Quote:
The city was heavily damaged during World War II - approximately 45% was destroyed. In June 1940 the area between the Notre-Dame Cathedral and the Seine river burned for 48 hours because the Germans did not allow firemen access to the fire. Other areas were destroyed between March and August 1944 just before and during the Battle of Normandy, which ended on the left bank of the Seine with the destruction of several regiments belonging to the German 7th Army. Rouen's cathedral and several significant monuments were damaged by Allied bombing. During the German occupation, Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine had its headquarters located in a château on what is now the Rouen Business School (École Supérieure de Commerce de Rouen). The city was liberated by the Canadians on 30 August 1944 after the breakout from Normandy.
Old 14 May 2015, 18:29 (Ref:3537464)   #14
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
Between 1940 and 1944, 45% of Rouen was destroyed by bombing.
In June 1940, the entire area between the cathedral and the river Seine was destroyed by German incendiary bombs, as advancing German troops prevented firefighters from accessing the area.
In 1944 the town was bombed again by the Allies in March and again in August.
A friend of mine, whose family survived despite living in Rouen, was lifted on the shoulders of a Canadian soldier in late 1944, for a better view of the fireworks display celebrating liberation. Being a youngster, his involuntary reaction was to mistake the fireworks for bombs and he wet himself down the soldier’s neck.

Thanks Brix!

Last edited by Kpy; 14 May 2015 at 18:31. Reason: Reaction to simultaneous post
Old 14 May 2015, 18:41 (Ref:3537472)   #15
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Hope you noticed the Beleive me I know the stories.
Old 15 May 2015, 11:56 (Ref:3537696)   #16
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Between 1940 and 1944, 45% of Rouen was destroyed by bombing.
In June 1940, the entire area between the cathedral and the river Seine was destroyed by German incendiary bombs, as advancing German troops prevented firefighters from accessing the area.
In 1944 the town was bombed again by the Allies in March and again in August.
A friend of mine, whose family survived despite living in Rouen, was lifted on the shoulders of a Canadian soldier in late 1944, for a better view of the fireworks display celebrating liberation. Being a youngster, his involuntary reaction was to mistake the fireworks for bombs and he wet himself down the soldier’s neck.

Thanks Brix!
Cheers for the reminder that the battle of France went on long after Dunkirk, something we on this side of the channel will often forget.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 05:24 (Ref:3841523)   #17
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Appel Kpy! :-)

I hope to visit Rouen soon, is it still possible to follow the circuit?

Merci, Mick
Old 5 Aug 2018, 06:30 (Ref:3841533)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes. Most of it is still there. The pits and paddock are no more, but you can drive the old roads. We did again on the way back this year.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 08:09 (Ref:3841540)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Somewhere I've always wanted to detour to..... That and Reims......
Old 5 Aug 2018, 08:28 (Ref:3841543)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rouen is the better circuit, but there are the old grandstands, pits and paddock at Reims. More of a detour on the way back, but it is almost perfect for the Le Mans to Nurburgring route!
Old 5 Aug 2018, 10:24 (Ref:3841565)   #21
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to here! Cheers...is there a definitive map or instructions available?? s’il vous plait?
Old 5 Aug 2018, 10:49 (Ref:3841570)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
On any map or sat nav search for Rouen Les Essarts.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 13:50 (Ref:3841600)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or get yourself a copy of GPL and drive it..... I've been driving it since last October, the longest stint I've ever had at a single circuit...... Frustrating difficult to put best sectors together. On my best deltas, I should be able to do a 1m54 or a low 55, but I just can't get below 1:55.9
Old 5 Aug 2018, 19:49 (Ref:3841677)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
What car is that in?
Old 6 Aug 2018, 09:56 (Ref:3841802)   #25
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
On any map or sat nav search for Rouen Les Essarts.
One Adam 12: Received and Understood