Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Jun 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3415242)   #1
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Historic Rallies

Us old farts ( and some young farts) are about to start the Alpine Trial.

Note that a few well known track drivers are joining in these days as it isn't a jog round the back lanes.

Think some of you lot would enjoy it although not in one of those American things!
Old 4 Jun 2014, 16:02 (Ref:3415288)   #2
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry list looks very healthy / diverse and the route isn't half-bad either. Hope all goes well!
Old 9 Jun 2014, 16:48 (Ref:3417649)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Alpine Trial

Tough Rally Won by Gareth Burnett and Jez Haylock in Talbot 105 who were also only crew to gain an Alpine Cup.

Not bad for Pace prepared Talbot 80 years anniversary of Talbots 1934 win and Alpine Cup award.

The car now goes to Classic Le Mans in Grid 1

That's versatile!
Old 9 Jun 2014, 18:20 (Ref:3417711)   #4
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Link to report / results / photos etc:

http://www.endurorally.com/pages/alp...l-2014-reports

Note to the easily confused - the report as currently written ends with Day 3, so start at the bottom and work upwards!
Old 16 Jun 2014, 10:48 (Ref:3422525)   #5
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
For those on Twitter, the ERA have today tweeted a photo of the winning drivers in the Talbot - via @EnduroRallyERA
Old 16 Jun 2014, 10:50 (Ref:3422527)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

That's worrying!

Good thing I know nothing about Twitter!
Old 16 Jun 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3422533)   #7
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
I should probably change my signature to 'closet Twitter user '! It's mainly drivel but very useful for picking up Motorsport and photography news.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 11:17 (Ref:3422540)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
That's worrying!

Good thing I know nothing about Twitter!
bit OT but I reckon Twitter is right in your sweet spot - 140 characters is the perfect domain for one line put downs!

back OT rallies are looking increasingly more interesting for many of us gravitating towards cars which originally successfully competed in rallies as well as tracks
Old 16 Jun 2014, 16:51 (Ref:3422670)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
For those on Twitter, the ERA have today tweeted a photo of the winning drivers in the Talbot - via @EnduroRallyERA
I saw that. Some bloke with a beard passengering.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3422757)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

No one with a beard in winning car and the other Talbot was driven by a fat bloke by a beard. navigator very clean shaven
Old 13 Jul 2014, 09:04 (Ref:3433374)   #11
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
At the risk of turning this thread into a generic historic rallies thread, I note that the 1000 Mile Trial for pre-1940s cars is underway today until the 19th July. Visiting various parts of the UK. I might have a look Wednesday or Thursday as they head back south through the north east and Yorkshire.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 09:55 (Ref:3433388)   #12
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

We would have done it but..

To long in Pre War and week after LMC

If only they had picked early September.

Have had problems getting entries.

The route and C of C is first class

Pity, opportunity missed.

Should get lots of press telling us it's wonderful
Old 13 Jul 2014, 10:04 (Ref:3433389)   #13
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The Dolomite should be making its debut since rebuild.

Brits answer to Alfa 8 C .They only made a couple and did odd rally in period

Engine copy of 8 C.

Talbot 105 took 8 C on direct and was probably a better car. Needed an Italian stylist but as a car head and shoulders above the rest.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 10:29 (Ref:3433395)   #14
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Yes, the Dolomite is taking part. I see there's a Talbot as well. Entry list:

http://www.heroevents.eu/Events/thou..._2014/entries/
Old 13 Jul 2014, 13:06 (Ref:3433432)   #15
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The Talbot 105 is not one of front runners more a touring entry.

The event should be between John Able and Sue Shoosmith as the top few teams have not entered.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 18:25 (Ref:3433520)   #16
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the organisers are a bit let down by the turnout. Even for those with the megabucks needed to pay the entry fee perhaps the length of time away from home is too great. There ar eonly a certain numbe rof folk with the time and moeny to dot hse commercial events.
At the other end of the scale a typical one day event using the same format but organised by a genuien club will cost under £100 including all your food for the day!
Old 13 Jul 2014, 18:49 (Ref:3433537)   #17
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Not sure what that last post means.

Flying Scotsman entry forms have been out ten days and it's virtually full with 110 pre war cars

The Trial has a major problem due to date as the entry fee is in line with similar events.

We along with others would have been there if it was the first week of September and its Pre War only.

Alpine Trial was same cost and filled in a week.

The International was only a couple of weeks ago with most of top European Teams

Up and down London to Edinburgh is going to cost 10K wether it's Flying Scotsman or Trial
Old 13 Jul 2014, 18:58 (Ref:3433542)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Had a thought that at least fifteen possible entries were at Le Mans Classic and another dozen at Silverstone.

The organisers were let down by nobody except perhaps RAC who lent their name to it and bought nothing to the table.

A bit harsh but reasonable thought.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 19:31 (Ref:3433563)   #19
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Had a thought that at least fifteen possible entries were at Le Mans Classic and another dozen at Silverstone.

The organisers were let down by nobody except perhaps RAC who lent their name to it and bought nothing to the table.

A bit harsh but reasonable thought.
Originally the 1,000 Mile Trial was supported by the Royal Automobile Club because it was to be a re-run of the 1900 event, organised by the Club and bearing the same name. Sadly, it seems owners of eligible cars were not prepared to risk them or their value in 2014. Thus this has become just another rally for Pre-war cars. The RAC acted in good faith, if anything they were led by HERO who possible thought they had found a new promotional platform on which to sell another event. One thing is for sure. This is a difficult and demanding seven days, and whoever wins, my bet is Alistair Caldwell, Deserves the honour. I'm just sad no cars registered before 1925 are taking part. These are my observations and are not engineered to be be a criticism of either party.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 19:38 (Ref:3433566)   #20
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

There was never a hope of getting enough Very early cars to fill an entry list.

I didn't notice A C name so he would be third possible winner!
Old 13 Jul 2014, 20:01 (Ref:3433573)   #21
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There was never a hope of getting enough Very early cars to fill an entry list.

I didn't notice A C name so he would be third possible winner!
I attended the press launch of the event at Pall Mall. RAC/HERO were going to incorporate a separate, one day event for London-Brighton cars finishing at Woodcote Park. Considering the number of cars entered on the London to Brighton, in the hundreds (and bearing in mind that for the first time in its history, last November, a regularity section was included) I would have expected at least ten or more owners would have accepted the challenge. But no.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 20:23 (Ref:3433580)   #22
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

There are always two or three very early cars do a Flying Scotsman.

The fundamental flaw is the date and it did not need return trip south.

The most successful of these rallies Liege Rome Liege did not do return trip so no reason why this one should.

It will have a good route as the competition organisers are some of the best but the promotors didn't look at what else is on calendar when date was sorted.Pity.

I received a few calls asking about entering cars but no chance with LM C and Silverstone.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 20:52 (Ref:3433603)   #23
retrognome
Racer

Quote:
There are always two or three very early cars do a Flying Scotsman.

The fundamental flaw is the date and it did not need return trip south.

The most successful of these rallies Liege Rome Liege did not do return trip so no reason why this one should.

It will have a good route as the competition organisers are some of the best but the promotors didn't look at what else is on calendar when date was sorted.Pity.

I received a few calls asking about entering cars but no chance with LM C and Silverstone.
True, although the early cars are not quite, shall we say standard. I competed on the Liege-Istanbul-Liege and that was certainly a round trip.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 22:24 (Ref:3433651)   #24
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The successful Liege Rome events from about 1998 to 2005 until they had problems with the name were one way with up to 175 entries.
Old 14 Jul 2014, 06:24 (Ref:3433738)   #25
retrognome
Racer

Quote:
The successful Liege Rome events from about 1998 to 2005 until they had problems with the name were one way with up to 175 entries.
Also, cars were not allowed additional trip meters. John Ebel and Martyn Taylor lead 1000 Mile Trial after day One with Alistair Caldwell and Catriona Rings just three points in arrears. Between them they are nine points ahead of the field.