Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 18 Oct 2017, 07:55 (Ref:3774805)   #1
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
2018 World Rally Championship

Thought I'd start a new thread for any news regarding the 2018 World Rally Championship to keep news separate from the 2017 stuff.

In driver news Ott Tanak has signed for Toyota:

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/octob...0--12-12-.html

I thought he'd stick with M-Sport as he's been going well in the Ford. It leaves M-Sport with a real problem too - if they don't keep Ogier then they're going to be short of a lead driver. Presumably Suninen can step up to replace Tanak but they'll need an experienced driver too.

Tanaks move also means Haninen is out at Toyota - no real surprise as he's been some way off Latvala all year.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 12:17 (Ref:3774838)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Latvala-Tanak Toyota team would be a good lineup and hopefully they can be up there consistently in 2018
Old 18 Oct 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3774923)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Latvala-Tanak Toyota team would be a good lineup and hopefully they can be up there consistently in 2018
The Toyota lineup looks good doesn't it? With Lappi in the 3rd car that's a very strong lineup.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3774927)   #4
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't four cars a possibility? Hyundai for example are considering it and there has been talks among the teams with FIA to maybe have four-car teams. Tidemand for example is hoping that this will happen.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 03:00 (Ref:3783927)   #5
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ogier and Evans sign for M-sport for 2018
https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/...d-2018-983975/

Old 29 Nov 2017, 04:27 (Ref:3783934)   #6
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post

Rumours was he/MSport were waiting on Ford to kick the sponsorship tin a bit harder. Any news if this happened?
Old 29 Nov 2017, 04:50 (Ref:3783939)   #7
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Loeb is back!
Part time drive at Citroen, maybe at Mexico
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...in-with-mexico
Old 29 Nov 2017, 08:07 (Ref:3783958)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:

Good news - that was always the most likely lineup once Tanak left, if Ogier hadn't signed M-Sport would have been in trouble - there aren't many other options available (and certainly none currently as good as Ogier).

Quote:
Loeb is back!
Part time drive at Citroen, maybe at Mexico
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...in-with-mexico
Whilst that's big news it really doesn't say much for Citroens confidence in their current drivers does it?
Old 29 Nov 2017, 08:49 (Ref:3783968)   #9
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Good news - that was always the most likely lineup once Tanak left, if Ogier hadn't signed M-Sport would have been in trouble - there aren't many other options available (and certainly none currently as good as Ogier).
Yeah, still think its a real shame that we won't see Tanak in the Fiesta next year, but Evans has done well this year and I hope he can deliver again in 2018.

Quote:
Whilst that's big news it really doesn't say much for Citroens confidence in their current drivers does it?
Citroen have always been ignorant of the opinion of any non-Gallic driver. I could maybe understand that attitude when they were on top of the sport, but after this year you'd like to think there would be a change in attitude.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 10:03 (Ref:3783982)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's a no brainer for Ogier to stay, he's still got it and it will mean more if someone beats him to the title. Glad Evans is alongside him too. I'm not sure if even Loeb could have done much with that Citroen though
Old 29 Nov 2017, 10:11 (Ref:3783987)   #11
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
Rumours was he/M-Sport were waiting on Ford to kick the sponsorship tin a bit harder. Any news if this happened?
Still nothing official from Ford; though on Colin Clark's podcast he seems certain they're back. Maybe they're just increasing technical, and financial support - but still not enough for it to be 'official'. Which I think personally is disappointing.

As was mentioned on the Absolute Rally podcast a few weeks ago, if the double WRC Champions can’t attract official backing and/or a major title sponsor, then something isn’t quite right with the WRC. I hope I’m wrong and Ford come back officially……

Currently, Ford are backing NASCAR and IMSA which are basically both domestic series, plus the WEC, which apart from 1 race isn’t a massive series.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3783996)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

You never know, they might do it judging by how well they’ve done in 2017
Old 29 Nov 2017, 12:59 (Ref:3784022)   #13
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Putting 2+2 together.
Ogier demands a fast car and lots of money. Citroen has fast cars but not enough money. Malcolm has fast cars and enough money. Ford pull out of WRX and win the WRC.
So either Ford are increasing their budget or a much better sponsorship deal has been struck.
Either way M-sport are golden.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 13:31 (Ref:3784030)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Putting 2+2 together.
Ogier demands a fast car and lots of money. Citroen has fast cars but not enough money. Malcolm has fast cars and enough money. Ford pull out of WRX and win the WRC.
So either Ford are increasing their budget or a much better sponsorship deal has been struck.
Either way M-sport are golden.
Not sure about that:
  • Ogier demands a fast car and lots of money. - Yep
  • Citroen has fast cars but not enough money. - Not sure here. Citroen probably have the slowest car but I'd have thought did have the money.
  • Malcolm has fast cars and enough money. - Yep
  • So either Ford are increasing their budget or a much better sponsorship deal has been struck. - Or Evans is cheaper than Tanak freeing up cash
Old 30 Nov 2017, 12:41 (Ref:3784293)   #15
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I believe the good driver is looking for fast car first, money is important but when every team can offer a fair amount I think it's non-isue.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 14:07 (Ref:3784306)   #16
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
I believe the good driver is looking for fast car first, money is important but when every team can offer a fair amount I think it's non-isue.
I guess money is even less of an issue when you're a 5 time world champion - you've probably got quite a bit of it by that point!

Realistically it was Citroen, M-Sport or retirement for Ogier wasn't it? Given the way Citroen performed throughout the season M-Sport was the better option.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 16:13 (Ref:3784333)   #17
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Citroen were in talks with him until Australia, Matton gave him a final offer which he didn't want. It seems like he got quite a generous contract from Wilson in the end.
Old 2 Dec 2017, 09:46 (Ref:3784707)   #18
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Quote:
Not sure about that:
  • Ogier demands a fast car and lots of money. - Yep
  • Citroen has fast cars but not enough money. - Not sure here. Citroen probably have the slowest car but I'd have thought did have the money.
  • Malcolm has fast cars and enough money. - Yep
  • So either Ford are increasing their budget or a much better sponsorship deal has been struck. - Or Evans is cheaper than Tanak freeing up cash
Citroen admits it was outbid by rivals for Ogier.
https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/...-ogier-980997/

Increased Ford backing key to keeping Ogier at M-Sport.
https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/...-sport-984642/
Old 2 Dec 2017, 10:21 (Ref:3784708)   #19
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
As was mentioned on the Absolute Rally podcast a few weeks ago, if the double WRC Champions can’t attract official backing and/or a major title sponsor, then something isn’t quite right with the WRC. I hope I’m wrong and Ford come back officially
I thought that the 2017 WRC was epic. I was glued to every round. I followed about 10 racing series this year and WRC was by far the best. I like all the drivers and find it hard to pick a favourite. The tech rules seem to be about right.

There are only two problems I have with the current status quo.
1. The Toyota Yaris makes my eyes bleed when I look at it.
2. The routes. I'm not sure why it happened, but I guess it was to save cost, so I understand. To really get back to the good old days Rally GB needs to be more than a circuit of north Wales. It used to be an awesome road trip to follow it. They used to go to Kenya for the Safari, and the Australian round should be almost a raid. Coff's Harbour is 400 km from Brisbane, and 500 km from Sydney, no wonder there were no crowds.
Have a look at the route of the '88 RAC. Grizedale for breakfast, and Kielder for dinner. It doesn't get better than that. We used to hire a car and make full use of the crash damage waiver.
http://www.juwra.com/rac_rally_1988_itinerary.html
Old 2 Dec 2017, 10:49 (Ref:3784711)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

I just want to say that the best thing about the sport is that the championship is a little bit more competitive than the previous seasons and the sport is looking good for the future. I just hope that Ford gives more backing to msport
Old 2 Dec 2017, 11:17 (Ref:3784713)   #21
Alex Langheck
Racer

Quote:
I thought that the 2017 WRC was epic. I was glued to every round. I followed about 10 racing series this year and WRC was by far the best. I like all the drivers and find it hard to pick a favourite. The tech rules seem to be about right.
Yes, I think we'd all agree about that. However, the point they made was it's still not making a big enough impression outside in the real world. Where are all the big sponsors, etc

Take our own WRC round; huge crowds, car parks full - but mainstream national media coverage was virtually zero.
Old 2 Dec 2017, 11:39 (Ref:3784722)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WRC is never going to recapture the media it had back then.

rallying was different then too.

The sad part is that if you go to a local event, you are treated like a leper if you tuirn up and want to watch.

Yet in Wales there were people standing in stupid places juts like they shoudn't

Its easy to target grass roots fans, but when your main house is not in order, it's a poor show
Old 2 Dec 2017, 13:15 (Ref:3784741)   #23
S griffin
Veteran

It's getting better coverage than it was a decade ago, but it's still nowhere near the heyday of the 90s
Old 4 Dec 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3785089)   #24
Alex Langheck
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It's getting better coverage than it was a decade ago, but it's still nowhere near the heyday of the 90s
Yes - BT Sport, Channel 5 and Red Bull TV, which is free...... and still people say they don't know how to follow it.

But the mainstream coverage won't return; and some of that is self inflicted....
Old 5 Dec 2017, 15:52 (Ref:3785258)   #25
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
My latest racing videogame is freeware, but that doesn't mean that it's been downloaded millions of times.