Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 Apr 2018, 14:00 (Ref:3817732)   #101
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All those upgrades are probably worth more than the original car.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3817757)   #102
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Peel the wrap off and you've got a low mileage, nearly new car which shouldn't be that difficult to sell. What's not to like?

Does it say the winner has to be over 18? Final round involves a knock-out Scalextric race. No point me entering that but might enter using my nephew's name and let him boss the final.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 16:38 (Ref:3817761)   #103
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Peel the wrap off and you've got a low mileage, nearly new car which shouldn't be that difficult to sell. What's not to like?

Does it say the winner has to be over 18? Final round involves a knock-out Scalextric race. No point me entering that but might enter using my nephew's name and let him boss the final.
I would expect there to be a clause in the competition rules to say you have to keep the livery on for a certain time frame, otherwise the sponsors are not going to get much publicity if you just peel off the wrap and flog the car.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3817765)   #104
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Unless they're stalking you they would never know 😁

Definitely need a small child for the Scalextric race, think redshoes has the right idea! Just attach a stick on beard, tweed jacket and flatcap to look like a little old man well aged over 18...
Old 28 Apr 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3817846)   #105
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"running with fresh Liqui Moly oil as provided by the team’s latest racing partner"

Nice to see that brand in the BTCC.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 21:47 (Ref:3818237)   #106
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
After round two, let's check the scores on the strikometer

3 Strikes
Senna Proctor

2 Strikes
Chris Smiley
Mike Bushell
Jack Goff

1 Strike
James Nash
Tom Boardman
Ash Sutton
Stephen Jelley
Tom Oliphant
Old 9 May 2018, 10:02 (Ref:3820985)   #107
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two tyre compounds during race weekends.

Too much variance or a nice addition to spice things up?

Discuss.
Old 9 May 2018, 10:21 (Ref:3820996)   #108
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given how close the cars are these days without the two tyre rule the first two races would be identical I think.

BTCC is all about the show rather than pure racing so I don't have a problem with the rule in that context.
Old 9 May 2018, 10:47 (Ref:3821005)   #109
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Two tyre compounds during race weekends.

Too much variance or a nice addition to spice things up?

Discuss.
In my opinion it's a bit too much variance. I think the reverse grids and success ballast work really well to create great racing but I don't think the tyre choice is really necessary. Wouldn't mind so much if it was pick and choose but I'm not keen on forcing the 1 race per weekend rule. I'd much rather hear driver interviews along the lines of 'I'm going to push forward for wins and podiums' rather than 'I'm on the lesser tyre and hope I don't lose too mamy places.'

I believe they only have one at Thruxton and I don't recall boring races there, and don't expect them to be next week!

My ideal format would be to do away with the forced tyre choice and success ballast, but reverse grid positions 1-8 for R2 and then 1-14 or so for R3.
Old 9 May 2018, 11:46 (Ref:3821010)   #110
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
In my opinion it's a bit too much variance. I think the reverse grids and success ballast work really well to create great racing but I don't think the tyre choice is really necessary. Wouldn't mind so much if it was pick and choose but I'm not keen on forcing the 1 race per weekend rule. I'd much rather hear driver interviews along the lines of 'I'm going to push forward for wins and podiums' rather than 'I'm on the lesser tyre and hope I don't lose too mamy places.'

I believe they only have one at Thruxton and I don't recall boring races there, and don't expect them to be next week!

My ideal format would be to do away with the forced tyre choice and success ballast, but reverse grid positions 1-8 for R2 and then 1-14 or so for R3.
this is the 4th year the tyre choice rule has been in place and has helped produce the incredibly close racing with so many different race winners and very tight championship battles that we've had. so why on earth would you want to change the tyre rules and success ballast that obviously works so bloody well?!
Old 9 May 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3821015)   #111
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'd prefer to see it as a total choice. If a driver wants to run an option tyre, they can, if they want to run the prime tyre, they can. Allow them up to 30 minutes before the race to make a choice, then run with it. I'd even go as far as allowing them to mix compounds. You want a soft on the front and hard on the rear? Sure. I'd let them.
Old 9 May 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3821020)   #112
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
The forced tyre compounds are not my thing at all. It's like an athlete having to wear wooden clogs to every third race. Personally that'd be binned if up to me.

Mix the R2 grid up instead, as per R3. This way you have variety but you don't cripple someone and create situations where a very slow car (on the wrong tyre) has a train of faster cars nearly tripping over it.
Old 9 May 2018, 15:21 (Ref:3821062)   #113
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I'd prefer to see it as a total choice. If a driver wants to run an option tyre, they can, if they want to run the prime tyre, they can. Allow them up to 30 minutes before the race to make a choice, then run with it. I'd even go as far as allowing them to mix compounds. You want a soft on the front and hard on the rear? Sure. I'd let them.
then you would have all teams pretty much choosing the same tyres for the same races and conditions!
Old 9 May 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3821064)   #114
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
then you would have all teams pretty much choosing the same tyres for the same races and conditions!
So? That was the case before the current tyre rules came in and the racing was fine. Too many series copy F1.

I'd personally do away with ballast as well.
Old 9 May 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3821065)   #115
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
So? That was the case before the current tyre rules came in and the racing was fine. Too many series copy F1.

fortunately you dont run the championship.
Old 10 May 2018, 06:56 (Ref:3821208)   #116
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post

That's not what the series is about though. It's an entertainment series not a pure one. They don't make any bones about it unlike other series which pretend to be pure when they're not.
Old 10 May 2018, 12:49 (Ref:3821267)   #117
BobJones
Veteran

The ballast and grid scenarios - happy days. Sometimes I think the tyre compounds can be a little too much. Thruxton is an excellent example of why it's not needed. 75kgs and up to 12 places reversed is a nice balance. The racing was still entertaining before compound options came into play.
Old 11 May 2018, 07:02 (Ref:3821439)   #118
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
The ballast and grid scenarios - happy days. Sometimes I think the tyre compounds can be a little too much. Thruxton is an excellent example of why it's not needed. 75kgs and up to 12 places reversed is a nice balance. The racing was still entertaining before compound options came into play.
Except the special Truxton tyre was developed because the stardard tyre blows out due to the massive cornering pressure put on the tyres at high speed
Old 11 May 2018, 07:32 (Ref:3821446)   #119
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
At least it’s not like F1 with two compounds per race, so we don’t get battles interrupted with pitstops
Old 11 May 2018, 09:01 (Ref:3821462)   #120
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've often thought that the race 2 grid should adopt the second fastest qualifying time approach that some of the support races use. Would reward people's 'nearly but not quite' efforts on a Saturday.

The tyre situation is too extreme at times. At Donington it was too cold for the hard option and the poor sods using them might as well have slung an anchor out the back for how quickly they dropped back. That's not 'mixing things up' in my view, that's more like the clogs comment above!
Old 11 May 2018, 10:22 (Ref:3821475)   #121
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Except the special Truxton tyre was developed because the stardard tyre blows out due to the massive cornering pressure put on the tyres at high speed
Yes, well aware of that...

Point being, they run just one compound there and the racing is great.
Old 11 May 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3821492)   #122
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
I've often thought that the race 2 grid should adopt the second fastest qualifying time approach that some of the support races use. Would reward people's 'nearly but not quite' efforts on a Saturday.

The tyre situation is too extreme at times. At Donington it was too cold for the hard option and the poor sods using them might as well have slung an anchor out the back for how quickly they dropped back. That's not 'mixing things up' in my view, that's more like the clogs comment above!
I'd prefer a more random element decide race 2's grid. I think having two quali sessions on Saturday is what I would prefer to see, just like it was in the 90s. Have a 30 minute session as normal. Then have a separate one lap per car type affair.

That way, if you have a bad race 1, your weekend isn't totally ruined.

Last edited by Sodemo; 11 May 2018 at 13:00.
Old 12 May 2018, 15:44 (Ref:3821729)   #123
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Sounds like not a bad idea, actually.
Old 18 May 2018, 21:06 (Ref:3823310)   #124
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love this on-board video of Tordoff from Donington. Well worth a watch.

Bump drafts, doors opening and even pushing a teammate past another car.

https://youtu.be/-u2hblD5jNw
Old 18 May 2018, 21:26 (Ref:3823311)   #125
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sadly the video was ruined by out of synch sound