Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 31 Jul 2003, 08:23 (Ref:676046)   #1
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Advice 4 Monza

I wonder if you guy/gals could offer any advice.
Im very lucky in that my wife has bought me a ticket for the Monza GP this year (anniversay prezzy). Now never having been to a GP let alone to Monza, I was wondering on what I should be taking with me. So far I have:

1. Earplugs
2. Camera
3. Cushion to sit on (aparently Monza seats are concrete)
4. Weather protection (just in case)

now bearing in mind I will be in Italy, does anyone know of any radio stations out there that will be broadcasting in English?

Any other helpful hints would be most apprecoiated.
Rgds
Jonathan
Old 31 Jul 2003, 13:40 (Ref:676311)   #2
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John pm me if you need advice I went in 98.

1) Personal choice - I don't bother myself.

2) Yes although if your ticket is general admission you will find it hard to get pics of the cars without a fence in the way.

3) Yes but more importanly you need to get there as early as you can on raceday if you have a GA ticket find a seat and stay there. The parabolica probably has most seating but it is a scramble I would suggest you need to be there by 8am latest preferably earlier.

4) Yep - although just some thing to keep the rain off like a waterproof jacket is enough.

The circuit PA is all in Italian, not sure about if there is an English radio station. You're so close to the circuit though you'd probably not be able to hear a radio anyway.

Andy
Old 31 Jul 2003, 13:55 (Ref:676328)   #3
jonathanc
Racer

Thanks Andy.
Not sure what my ticket is. I think it has a grand stand seat somewhere, have to wait and see when it gets delivered.

Really looking forward to it.
Many thanks
Jonathan
Old 31 Jul 2003, 13:56 (Ref:676330)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Don't forget the suncream. You wouldn't believe the number of people I see leave race tracks every weekend burnt to a crisp! Some good factor 20 or higher if you are spending the whole day in the sun. Believe me it will be worth it the next day.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 08:28 (Ref:676898)   #5
jonathanc
Racer

Good idea Stephen
Old 1 Aug 2003, 08:57 (Ref:676923)   #6
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My recollection is that every race has an English commentator and that this may also be broadcast on a special FM frequency - is this what you want on radio or do you need to listen to Mean Country 1035 AM in your hire car ? Based on my Montreal experience I echo Andy's comment about not hearing it anyway - you'll probably be able to see a big screen to figure out what is going on elsewhere - also if you do not regularly do so watch either the German GP or the Hungarian on TV so you know the colours etc of the various cars

Don't forget your credit card to buy your wife a big thank you in return from one of the excellent shops in Milan or wherever you stay
Old 1 Aug 2003, 12:22 (Ref:677122)   #7
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am also going to Monza for the first time this year, we have GA on Saturday and a seat for race day. Can't wait, the only GP's I have been to are British ones so it will be interesting to compare the faclities etc and see why Bernie keeps getting his knickers in a twist. Enjoy Jonathan.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 13:09 (Ref:677179)   #8
jonathanc
Racer

josvandeperre - That's what Im worried about. Whilst myself and brother inlaw are going to GP, my wife and her sister are going shopping, on there own....arrrghh.

Excellent Claire, at least I wont be the only newbie there. Have fun

Last edited by jonathanc; 1 Aug 2003 at 13:09.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 11:54 (Ref:686103)   #9
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know whether you can walk on any parts of the old banked circuit at Monza, and if so where are the best / easiest places to go?
Old 12 Aug 2003, 11:58 (Ref:686105)   #10
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that had been knocked down now SJ Spode...
Old 12 Aug 2003, 12:16 (Ref:686126)   #11
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Red Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you only have a GA ticket, look out for the free grandstand opposite the pitlane entrance, it's a corker, and right opposite a diamond screen. You'll need to get there early though, in fact we slept on it overnight in 2001 to make sure we got a space (and to get away from the techno music on the camp site!!).

Also, you can buy grandstand tickets for Saturday qualy for around £8 if there are any free. There were loads for the Parabolica grandstand when we went. Well worth it!!! (Why don't Silverstone do that???).

Unfortunaltey the facilities are pretty poor and the traffic horrendous. Silverstone is far far superior.

Still, you can't beat the atmosphere of Monza. You'll have a great time )

Oh, and parts of the old banked circuit are still there, but I don't think you can get on to it.....I could be wrong tho'
Old 12 Aug 2003, 12:31 (Ref:686143)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome to Ten-Tenths R Baron...
Old 12 Aug 2003, 12:43 (Ref:686155)   #13
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire

Hey, you noticed it was my first ever post........

Ta for the welcome, there'll be no shutting me up now

Good letter in Autosport, by the way! (it was you, wasn't it?)
Old 12 Aug 2003, 12:46 (Ref:686160)   #14
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Red Baron. Yes it was "our Stephen"

I've never been to Monza but I thought a tiny bit of the old banking remained. I'd have to ask somebody "in the know" what the current state-of-play is with it.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 15:26 (Ref:686295)   #15
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Hi Suzy,
I sort of stumbled across part of the banking by accident when trying to walk around the perimeter of the track. It was between Parabolica and Lesmo, but it was fenced off....very frustrating cos it meant that I couldn't walk up to Lesmo without going infield and then clockwise from Curve grande direction. I didn't bother in the end !!!
Old 13 Aug 2003, 11:43 (Ref:687024)   #16
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Red Baron for that information. I suppose it's been fenced off for a reason - but it's a pity that it's no longer possible to get close to the "original" Monza.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 11:53 (Ref:687029)   #17
SJ Spode
Veteran

Yes, thanks for the info on the banking. It is a shame, particularly as it's still there that there isn't a section that you could visit and that has the appropriate safety fencing etc.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 12:00 (Ref:687036)   #18
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
I couldn't swear that there isn't a section to visit somewhere. I just didn't find it.

Let me know if you do
Old 14 Aug 2003, 15:12 (Ref:688224)   #19
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can get to the banking from the circuit the annual post race track invasion should give you plenty of opportunity.

I was there in 98 and walked the whole circuit after the race no problem.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 15:23 (Ref:688235)   #20
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Now why didn't I think of that....walking ON the track instead of around the perimeter...DOH

Everyone piles onto the track after the race, so there's no problem.

I'll have to go again now!!
Old 14 Aug 2003, 21:31 (Ref:688561)   #21
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went in 99 and had a fantastic time. Found seats at Lesmo 2, also walked on the old banking, and spent time in main grandstand watching the pitlane activity on Saturday evening. Getting to circuit was a doddle, well signposted and plenty of park and ride spaces in Monza town with frequent buses to the park gates followed by a magical walk through the Monza park (just think of Regents park but greener and bigger) with a GP circuit in the middle of it! Tifosi great fun, toilet facilities apalling, but all in all a good experience....
Old 14 Aug 2003, 21:57 (Ref:688580)   #22
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
went in 98 and it was amazing. you'll probably want to sleep in the place you want to sit in on saturday night...
the italians are brilliant people to party with, definitely recommend mucking in at the campsite cause it's an all nighter.
go to the toilet back in england. you won't want to go there, you can smell the porta-loos from miles off...
Old 31 Oct 2003, 10:08 (Ref:768954)   #23
SJ Spode
Veteran

I went to Monza for the recent FIA GT / ETCC meeting and I definitely recommend that you visit it sometime.

Whilst the GTs were running round for 3hrs we had a good opportunity to walk round most of the track, and we got to the banking; here's the pics.

The pics were taken at the north curve banking (ie; the first banking as the cars would have turned right off the main straight)I've added a map to show approx where the pics were took.
Attached Thumbnails
circuit.jpg  

Last edited by SJ Spode; 31 Oct 2003 at 10:10.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 10:12 (Ref:768956)   #24
SJ Spode
Veteran

This shot looks back in the direction of the main straight (and Prima Variante on the current GP circuit). Incidentally you can see the banking start to bend away from the stands on the inside of the Prima Variante.
Attached Thumbnails
monza3a.jpg  
Old 31 Oct 2003, 10:14 (Ref:768958)   #25
SJ Spode
Veteran

This shot looks forward towards the back straight (if this makes any sense).

There's 4-5ft fencing on the inside of the banking but in a couple of places it's been moved and it's possible to walk on.

Unfortunately the pics don't really do justice to the size and angle of the banking. Once you get above the yellow line (just visible in the middle of the track) it's getting tough to stand up.
Attached Thumbnails
monza1a.jpg  

Last edited by SJ Spode; 31 Oct 2003 at 10:16.