Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 23 May 2007, 02:17 (Ref:1919198)   #1
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Setting the record straight.

The last time,as mentioned that there were two Australians on the podium in MotoGP was in 1995.

However, I can't remember if it was the last or second last race.

Anyway,that year, Doohan got off to a good start, but was hounded by Beattie. Doohan ended up missing two races at the start, Japan (Which Beattie flogged everyone by a country mile) and Spain. (Won by Alberto Puig).

Then came Doohan's return at the Nurburgring, a classic race where Beattie shadowed Doohan and piled on enough pressure for the great man to slip up and crash of, handing Beattie his second win of the year.

The next race was exactly the same, only this time after running off the track, Doohan remounted/rejoined the track and hunted Beattie down and started a four race winning streak.

Beattie ended up getting injured at Assen, and missed a round or two, and came back needing to beat Doohan at the final to rounds to claim the title.
Alas, he did not.

Beattie was happy with his second place, beliving that the future was to be bright. Alas, poor machinery and some bad injuries left him at the end of his career only a a couple of years later.

As for the last win for a Suzuki, it was not Kenny Jr in 2000 (That was the last "Out right pace win"), but a certain journeyman Spanish rider, flushed with Telefonica funds re-started his career in 2001 with a win in the wet at Valencia after strugling on a factory honda in 2000.

This Spaniard would eventually push for the title in '03 and '04 before retiring after injuries sustained in the '06 season with Ducati...(Not to mention a certain curse that was place upon him.)

edit: After checking out about Sete, I realise how much less of a championship this is without a fully fit Sete.

Last edited by Hazza; 23 May 2007 at 02:20.
Old 23 May 2007, 03:00 (Ref:1919204)   #2
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
The last time,as mentioned that there were two Australians on the podium in MotoGP was in 1995.

However, I can't remember if it was the last or second last race.

Anyway,that year, Doohan got off to a good start, but was hounded by Beattie. Doohan ended up missing two races at the start, Japan (Which Beattie flogged everyone by a country mile) and Spain.
If that's the race I'm thinking of, Japan, Doohan lead until the last lap and not realising Beattie had backed off pushed too hard into a right hander and ran off, luckily onto a patch of concrete and rejoined after Beattie passed him. Is it that one or am I wrong.

Jeff
Old 23 May 2007, 03:31 (Ref:1919213)   #3
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Before clicking on the thread title I figured this was another Colin Edwards rant. But now I see it's just an Aussie love fest! We really need a better cross section of bike fans in here.

Seriously though, wish I would have been following Moto GP back then. I missed some great stuff.
Old 23 May 2007, 03:34 (Ref:1919215)   #4
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Hazza, what a nice post.
Old 23 May 2007, 04:47 (Ref:1919237)   #5
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
think japan would've been at the start of the season jeff 8... we are gonna have to dive deep into the archives to sort this one out

when was the last time 2 aussies where on the podium in the 250cc class
Old 23 May 2007, 05:09 (Ref:1919241)   #6
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
when was the last time 2 aussies where on the podium in the 250cc class
West / Stoner Donnington (wet) 2005???
This is from the depths of memory without checking so it may be completely wrong.
Old 23 May 2007, 08:16 (Ref:1919344)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lol at Jhansen

Mate I have been trying to stop them for years, problem is bloody Aussies win everything!!
Old 23 May 2007, 09:56 (Ref:1919419)   #8
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfit
West / Stoner Donnington (wet) 2005???
This is from the depths of memory without checking so it may be completely wrong.
Yeah, it was West/Whoever followed by Rain, then Stoner, more Rain and then Pedrosa.

Alas, the MotoGP "Archives" don't extend before '98 so I can't fully fact check my brain for '95...
Old 23 May 2007, 10:01 (Ref:1919420)   #9
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Also, it was Spain and Germany he crashed from, Not as I suggested, Japan and Germany.

There was a relic from the 90s website where alot of this information was availible...gotta find it again...
Old 23 May 2007, 11:55 (Ref:1919493)   #10
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
The unexpected alliance Iraq-Australia is working full time
Old 24 May 2007, 07:56 (Ref:1920077)   #11
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Old 24 May 2007, 12:33 (Ref:1920252)   #12
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Old 24 May 2007, 12:35 (Ref:1920253)   #13
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Cough *Threadkill* cough.
Old 25 May 2007, 15:01 (Ref:1921086)   #14
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I came across this movie clip. Another skill from Doohan (and Chili) highsiding synchronicly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0k3jid2tTk
Old 25 May 2007, 15:18 (Ref:1921098)   #15
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

9.90 from russian jury

A potential new sport: synchronized biking.

(Checa-Puniet, Hayden-Pedrosa would be two worthy pairs)
Old 26 May 2007, 12:23 (Ref:1921515)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Mate I have been trying to stop them for years, problem is bloody Aussies win everything!!
We in F1 know this is ********.
Old 30 May 2007, 14:05 (Ref:1924662)   #17
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
and in downhill skiing, and ice hockey, and curling and okay, I'll stop.

that youtube double high-side was pretty wild, I heard the commentator mention "water", so perhaps they both lost the rears on the same patch of whatever on the track, but in any case, quite a neat synchro demo--though I watched it with a double "ouch" and a wince.
Old 2 Jun 2007, 12:07 (Ref:1926819)   #18
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That clip has to be the best crash in the history of bike racing doesn't it?!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 2 Jun 2007, 17:02 (Ref:1926963)   #19
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Like actors and singers like to say, the best crash is the next crash. So let's see Sunday's race