Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Aug 2020, 06:17 (Ref:3993248)   #1
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
The one thing the teams hadn't planned for..

I find it pretty amazing that for all F1 teams focus on optimising everything, that the one thing they have seemingly not factored in is the prospect that one of their drivers would test positive for covid-19 and not be able to race.

We saw this with RP's scramble to find a driver at the last minute, now we hear that Paul Di Resta will be McLaren's 'reserve' at the 70th GP ths weekend - he has not sat in an F1 car for a season for several years, he had a one off for Williams in 2017 when Massa was ill.

Apparently, Mercedes don't even have a reserve as Vandorne is doing FE and Gutteritz no longer has a superlicence.

It's even more unbelievable when you consider that they will not know if they are going to have a problem until the driver arrives at the circuit on Thursday before the race. The teams are relying on their drivers to be scrupiously careful in their own lives in between races.

It's not as if this potential situation comes as a surprise, since Melbourne the teams could have planned a 'what if' scenario, secured reserve drivers - prepared them in the sim on the cars systems, got them up to speed and then collectively asked F1 for a reserve driver test day to put them in the car - F1 would surely have agreed.

They probably factored in team personnel testing positive and had plans to assign roles in that case, probably believing that team personnel were more vulnerable/exposed to the possibility of catching it than drivers.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 08:12 (Ref:3993260)   #2
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
after silverstone i can see the teams waking up....im surprised there arent 3/4 ex drivers like hulk, di resta, button that arent at the event inside the bubble which teams can call upon a bit like an emergency goalie in the NHL who can play for either team as a backup.

i know its probably not as easy as that in terms of engine secrets etc but surely if each engine manufacturer has 1 sub to call upon as an emergency stand in then you could keep it down to 4 stand in drivers in the paddock at all times.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 08:23 (Ref:3993271)   #3
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Against this, 90% of the F2 grid are more than good enough to drive an F1 even if they haven't complied with the FIA's current qualification edict, which let us face it is just commercially driven.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 08:39 (Ref:3993274)   #4
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Against this, 90% of the F2 grid are more than good enough to drive an F1 even if they haven't complied with the FIA's current qualification edict, which let us face it is just commercially driven.
Agree completely. McLaren call a guy who has not driven for years. Who is next - Pedro De La Rosa?

What is the point of F2, if the drivers are not called up in these circumstances?
Old 6 Aug 2020, 09:34 (Ref:3993282)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Agree completely. McLaren call a guy who has not driven for years. Who is next - Pedro De La Rosa?

What is the point of F2, if the drivers are not called up in these circumstances?
...not driven in F1....hes been highly competative in LMP racing.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 09:16 (Ref:3993277)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Couldn't agree more. Perfect opportunity rather than dragging back drivers who are now out of F1, most for good reason.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 09:32 (Ref:3993279)   #7
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Couldn't agree more. Perfect opportunity rather than dragging back drivers who are now out of F1, most for good reason.
They would be race fit as well, no matter how much 'fitness' you do outside of the car nothing prepares you for driving an F1 car other than driving an F1 car. Hulk has already said despite having a high level of general fitness, his body took a real pounding as he was not 'F1' fit.

An F2 driver is going to be a lot fitter than an exF1 driver who hasn't sat in a high level single seater for a few years.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 09:33 (Ref:3993280)   #8
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
i cant disagree with this sentiment, however as the rules around super licence stand, its not possible....and to be honest, having seen how the red bull programme and others throws young talent in at the deep end sometimes, it can also be detrimental to a young drivers confidence and career prospects, so its not always the right call.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 11:16 (Ref:3993306)   #9
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
i cant disagree with this sentiment, however as the rules around super licence stand, its not possible....and to be honest, having seen how the red bull programme and others throws young talent in at the deep end sometimes, it can also be detrimental to a young drivers confidence and career prospects, so its not always the right call.
The thing is, acting as a reserve driver is absolutely not "being thrown in at the deep end". Instead it is paddling in the shallow end (if I may use a similar analogy). They are not being used, but instead are on standby only. It's a great chance to sit in on some driver meetings and mix with the engineers etc.

Many of the F1 teams presumably still run their young driver program - and I were on one of those at the moment I probably would be wondering what the point is?

Anyway, hopefully all the 1st choice drivers remain in good health, and if so this conversation is entirely academic.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 09:47 (Ref:3993286)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pedro? I've not seen his name mentioned for ages, what's he been doing? Even his own website stops in 2014.....
Old 6 Aug 2020, 20:34 (Ref:3993414)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Pedro? I've not seen his name mentioned for ages, what's he been doing? Even his own website stops in 2014.....
He does Movistar F1 broadcasts.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 20:39 (Ref:3993416)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
He does Movistar F1 broadcasts.
Ah, clearly ready to hop back into an F1 seat then......
Old 6 Aug 2020, 09:55 (Ref:3993287)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Apparently, Mercedes don't even have a reserve as Vandorne is doing FE and Gutteritz no longer has a superlicence.
This is what I find odd - why have a 'reserve' that doesn't even have the correct licence? Presumably Mercedes could put George Russell in their car and leave Williams with the headache of finding a driver to put in their car (does Ticktum have enough points for a superlicence?).

If you discount drivers in Formula E (who are presumably concentrating on that) then how big is the pool of available drivers? Alonso (presumably could jump into the Renault), Kubica possibly (if there's no DTM clash), who else?
Old 6 Aug 2020, 10:16 (Ref:3993291)   #14
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
This is what I find odd - why have a 'reserve' that doesn't even have the correct licence? Presumably Mercedes could put George Russell in their car and leave Williams with the headache of finding a driver to put in their car (does Ticktum have enough points for a superlicence?).

If you discount drivers in Formula E (who are presumably concentrating on that) then how big is the pool of available drivers? Alonso (presumably could jump into the Renault), Kubica possibly (if there's no DTM clash), who else?
Im surprised noone has mentioned Ant Davidson in all this.

Mercedes sim driver, ex le mans....surely he still has his licence?...hes raced in LMP recently
Old 6 Aug 2020, 14:06 (Ref:3993344)   #15
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

Because Gutteritz hasn't driven an F1 car in previous 3 years, he would have to complete 300km of running, which Mercedes didn't want to do.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 14:08 (Ref:3993345)   #16
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Because Gutteritz hasn't driven an F1 car in previous 3 years, he would have to complete 300km of running, which Mercedes didn't want to do.
Let's hope that Mercedes don't live to regret that decision...
Old 6 Aug 2020, 14:28 (Ref:3993348)   #17
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
playing devil's advocate a bit here...but how do we know the teams are not operating in the best/effective/most responsible way here?

had Perez' test come back earlier or on the monday after the event, we are not even having the conversation of 'scrambling' to find a replacement. in fact 'scrambling' may even be too harsh of a word in that Hulk was probably their first choice, he was clearly ready to drive, and had presumably done enough to keep himself covid free at home (or wherever he was).

but if they were to have a reserve driver in the paddock then that is the driver, their assistant, manager, and trainer who is also in the F1 bubble with them.

if each team just has 1 stand by driver then we are potentially talking about an additional 30 people in the paddock, 30 more people that need to be routinely tested, 30 more meals, 30 more hotel beds, more portocubicals at the venue, more uncertainty...it may not seem a large number but basically you are just increasing the risk for a possibility.

i think if you have a reserve driver then you need them to stay out of the bubble and hope they test clean before entering the bubble if and when needed.

and if it doesnt work out then you cant run your car...such is the reality of our times no? the overall integrity of the bubble should be more important than the risk of having to sit out a car or two.
Old 7 Aug 2020, 09:00 (Ref:3993475)   #18
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
playing devil's advocate a bit here...but how do we know the teams are not operating in the best/effective/most responsible way here?

had Perez' test come back earlier or on the monday after the event, we are not even having the conversation of 'scrambling' to find a replacement. in fact 'scrambling' may even be too harsh of a word in that Hulk was probably their first choice, he was clearly ready to drive, and had presumably done enough to keep himself covid free at home (or wherever he was).

but if they were to have a reserve driver in the paddock then that is the driver, their assistant, manager, and trainer who is also in the F1 bubble with them.

if each team just has 1 stand by driver then we are potentially talking about an additional 30 people in the paddock, 30 more people that need to be routinely tested, 30 more meals, 30 more hotel beds, more portocubicals at the venue, more uncertainty...it may not seem a large number but basically you are just increasing the risk for a possibility.

i think if you have a reserve driver then you need them to stay out of the bubble and hope they test clean before entering the bubble if and when needed.

and if it doesnt work out then you cant run your car...such is the reality of our times no? the overall integrity of the bubble should be more important than the risk of having to sit out a car or two.
With respect, I don't think all F1 teams have taken the reserve role seriously and for some it is a way of selling another package to a well backed driver without actually having them drive the car at all!

McLaren have nominated Di Resta at Silverstone who has driven ONE F1 race n 3 years, do we seriously think he is prepared to step into the McLaren if they have a problem. Mercedes with their zillion dollar budget, don't think it is worth their while to put Gutteritz in the car for 300km to get his licence up to date - just in case.

Who would Ferrari put in - Mick Schumacher?

Red Bull have fallen out wth more young drivers than they could count - who would they put in Buemi?

Hulk wasn't contracted to RP until Thursday evening before the race and made FP1 by literally minutes due to his covid test results coming back. If Hulk had been uncontactable or if Perez had tested positive on Sat morning, they would have had no one to put in the car - as it happened the car didn't make the race anyway.

I think we will see the teams take it more seriously, the FIA or FOM may even make it part of the regulations that they must have a qualified, prepared reserve driver.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 10:23 (Ref:3993293)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ant is the same age as Kimi. Not sure he is desperate to come back

I can understand why they are brining di Resta in as a backup, they need that experience in case. It’s tough on F2 drivers, but it would be massive pressure on them and as is mentioned above, they need the superlicence points more than anything
Old 6 Aug 2020, 11:07 (Ref:3993304)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Personally I don't understand why di Resta would be mentioned at all....
Old 6 Aug 2020, 11:12 (Ref:3993305)   #21
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Personally I don't understand why di Resta would be mentioned at all....
Because he’s already in the bubble.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 12:41 (Ref:3993328)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Because he’s already in the bubble.
Hmmm. So the question must be, who let him in?
Old 6 Aug 2020, 14:32 (Ref:3993349)   #23
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In the majority of cases at the front of the grid, the reserve drivers aren't reserve drivers that they want to use. They just don't want others to use them. Mercedes and McLaren have spent 20 years perfecting that one - just sign up everyone and shove them into reserve roles. Give them a DTM seat to keep them driving. Just means nobody else can have them.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 18:16 (Ref:3993389)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I remember Canada 2011, when Sauber passed over their own reserve driver Guitierrez to replace the recovering Checo and went to McLaren to get DLR who had driven for Sauber the previous year
Old 6 Aug 2020, 19:02 (Ref:3993394)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s not that easy to sort out. Calendars shifting around between F1 and all the other series - most of the best candidates are doing other things. Earning they living elsewhere. I can see why they don’t have things fully sorted, or at least easily to hand.

But obviously they are all stupid and not done anything about it. Idiots.

Allowing F2 drivers to step up, if they can, even without the requisite number of points is a good idea. They aren’t in the same bubble as each team, but close to hand and in a controlled environment with recent testing.

But has anyone thought that F2 isn’t at each F1 race? They haven’t even bothered to work out what the support calendar at Imola is yet - What are they playing at?! Idiots.

Or perhaps the FIA should just carry a spare Hulk around just in case.