Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Jul 2006, 19:47 (Ref:1661019)   #26
Silent Number
Racer

Silent Number should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3
Many posts here seem to miss a very important issue.With the V8's sucking the lifeblood out of all other motor racing and seeking to go only where they can draw government type subsidies and denying the rest of the "sport" their assistance to the permanent circuits . No big crowds equals a big whole in the budgets of the permanent circuits.The V8's are a private company- a profit making venture. As such it ought to be paying for every part of the "show" they put on. That includes everyone that currently donates their time at a race meeting.They have selfishly pursued what suits( a profit) them to the detriment of the rest of the sport, and the permanent circuits are the victims.
well said silver 3, I agree
Old 21 Jul 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1661367)   #27
acotrel
Racer

acotrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When the 2004 Australian Historic Motorcycle Championships were held on the longer track at Winton, the competitors complained the circuit was 'too large'. Perhaps cars are more reliable than motorcycles?
It's interesting to note that back in 1962 (period 3 historic era for motorcycles), every title race in Australian Motocycling was held over 6 laps under the ACU rules. That even applied to Bathurst where the Australian TT was held! I'm pretty puzzled about the optimum size for a motor race circuit!
Best Regards,
Alan Cotterell
Old 21 Jul 2006, 10:18 (Ref:1661375)   #28
I16
Racer

I16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Number
well said silver 3, I agree
Same thing has happened to the ASBK series - the highend stuff impacts big time on club racing.
I understand the tide has turned slightly this year - ASBK have a deficit -club racing is picking up.
At various times most racers do have one of their ears very close to the ground.
Their actions over the years have saved club racing
Old 25 Jul 2006, 00:33 (Ref:1663778)   #29
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course that was back when Winton was only 2km long & it's now had an extra kilometre of track added (in fact the only track to have had any major works in the last 20 years (Sandown was extended in '84 using government money and what are they using that extension for these days). We could start the old "why should Winton get a round" arguement here all over again but the biggest thing in Winton's favour is that it once again attracted a record crowd (and not just on the rubbery VE$A figures either) and it's 200km from Melbourne where Eastern Creek being just outside Australia's largest capital city just cant attract any spectators.

Another thing to remember is that of all the tracks that hold V8 rounds Winton is owned and operated by a car club and all the money raised by activities held at the track are put back into the track to improve facilities for the spectators & competitors not just for a once a year V8 round but for ALL racers & fans ALL year. Do any of the existing or proposed street circuits do that, they just line VE$A pockets by using government (our) money to create an artificial track for 4 days a year with no benefit to the local racers.[/QUOTE]
Totally agree........ Winton gets largest crowd behind Bathurst and Adelaide. Tere was talk of local councils getting behind Benalla Auto Club to help fund the exorbitant fees charged by VE$A.