Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 1 Nov 2008, 08:26 (Ref:2325253)   #1
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Top Gear - Season 12

Well its that time again! Season 12 starts tomorrow (nov 2nd) at 8pm! Woohoo!

Timing is just right, well an hour gap, between the F1 and the start of Top Gear!

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 1 Nov 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2325278)   #2
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't seen any 'leaks' about what's on this year's series apart from what you can grab from the promo ads on BBC.
Old 1 Nov 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2325303)   #3
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
I believe someone mentioned something about busses....

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 1 Nov 2008, 12:28 (Ref:2325341)   #4
btcckid
Racer

United Kingdom
england
btcckid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my brother is into buses so much, he can't wait to see what the busses are up to! so is the stunt man going to be on or was it cancelled, i can't rememeber?
Old 1 Nov 2008, 14:53 (Ref:2325390)   #5
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
From the ad I saw they will be doing some driving of HGV's on a vehicle testing ground. Looks funny.
Old 1 Nov 2008, 17:07 (Ref:2325435)   #6
Monstersuzuki
Rookie

Wales
Aberhonddu
Monstersuzuki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
apparently they are buying second-hand HGVs and driving them in some challenges, also a lamborghini is in there as well!
Old 1 Nov 2008, 19:07 (Ref:2325490)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The buses were at Lydden (looking very "spare" the other week), from the trail I saw on BBC1 it looked like they were on the rallycross circut?
Old 3 Nov 2008, 02:36 (Ref:2326576)   #8
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Anyone else besides myself notice the Super Aguri rear wing on the Avantime in the series promo?
Old 3 Nov 2008, 09:26 (Ref:2326736)   #9
btcckid
Racer

United Kingdom
england
btcckid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Anyone else besides myself notice the Super Aguri rear wing on the Avantime in the series promo?
it certianlly made me laugh when i saw that. it was on the wrong way round aswell when i had a re-look on youtube

Last edited by btcckid; 3 Nov 2008 at 09:29.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 10:07 (Ref:2326770)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Decent first programme overall. The lorries piece was funny and Richard seemed a little peeved that the GT2 Porky was summarily 'dismissed' by Clarkson in comparison to the Gallardo LP thing.

Interestingly, I wonder what happens now Porsche and Lambo are directly part of the same umbrella.....

Elsewhere, is it me or could The Stig's intro by Jeremy do with being dropped, getting a bit bored with the 'Some say he's.....' bit!!!
Old 3 Nov 2008, 10:25 (Ref:2326787)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the "some say" bit is getting a bit pantomime now, it was better when it was just a casual item that didn't require so much audience approval to work!

i thought the lorry bit was funny, and it really isn't as easy as it looks, they're completely right! a hill start would be easy once they'd had a bit of basic instruction though which they blatently had, and the coupling and uncoupling bit was quite funny too. it's a shame they didn't get a chance to do the parking exercise that features in the test, that could have been very amusing!
Old 3 Nov 2008, 10:30 (Ref:2326790)   #12
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
James May actually won a race.

The Apocalypse is coming.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 13:33 (Ref:2326956)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
the "some say" bit is getting a bit pantomime now
The whole show is getting a bit pantomime. It's in danger of becoming little more than a series of in jokes.

What was the point of crashing the trucks, or are they desperate to become the new Jackass?
Old 3 Nov 2008, 13:55 (Ref:2326982)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
entertainment. i think we're in danger of taking a car themed entertainment programme seriously here!
Old 3 Nov 2008, 14:05 (Ref:2326987)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I must say I'm getting fed up as well.

I want Noel Edmonds back and serious road tests of hopeless hatchbacks. Where are the fuel figures, the insurance quotes? Why did they get rid of Jason Dawe after just one series?

It's all WRONG!
Old 3 Nov 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2326992)   #16
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
They could do a fuel consumption test, driving with Jason Dawe as passenger and without.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2326998)   #17
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knowlesy, go watch www.whatcar.com !

Leave the entertainment to people who enjoy it
Old 3 Nov 2008, 14:28 (Ref:2327010)   #18
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The programme really has become more about entertainment and less about the cars, so in that respect I have to agree with Knowlsey. There should be at least one fairly serious test of a car (and I don't just mean Clarkson ruining a set of tyres doing powerslides) during each show.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 14:48 (Ref:2327033)   #19
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
so what consists a car test, then? reading the relevant page in the magazine out loud whilst driving down a motorway?
Old 3 Nov 2008, 16:48 (Ref:2327128)   #20
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcckid
it certianlly made me laugh when i saw that. it was on the wrong way round aswell when i had a re-look on youtube
If they destroy that wing, I'll have their heads on a platter.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2327179)   #21
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
entertainment. i think we're in danger of taking a car themed entertainment programme seriously here!
I'm not suggesting a return to the Chris Goffey's review of yet another Subaru Forester, but the show has become very predicable.

Take the truck challenge: Clarkson buys the big powerful truck, Hammond has the small sporter number, May has the middle sensible option. Who would have guessed!
Old 3 Nov 2008, 18:14 (Ref:2327186)   #22
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
The buses were at Lydden (looking very "spare" the other week), from the trail I saw on BBC1 it looked like they were on the rallycross circut?
i thought i recognised that circuit
Old 3 Nov 2008, 19:20 (Ref:2327243)   #23
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
In previous years, they had the perfect balance of cars & tomfoolery but now there's too much tomfoolery.

It's jumped the shark now I reckon.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 20:46 (Ref:2327305)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
everyone said that last season and oh look, they're still watching

i think you're all overanalysing. it's only telly! lighten up
Old 3 Nov 2008, 21:21 (Ref:2327359)   #25
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
It was far better than anything else that was on at the same time