Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Aug 2020, 12:43 (Ref:3995964)   #76
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The track was really dirty though. I feel like more marbles then i have seen in a long time. I also don't know how long Perez had been getting blue flags for?

Is it possible that he was seeing the warning on his steering wheel for a couple of corners prior?
Old 17 Aug 2020, 12:44 (Ref:3995966)   #77
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Agreed. I didn't see anything wrong there at all....
I am guessing, but I presume the replay we say wasn’t the actual offence. As pointed out that was Lewis going by, presumably the problem was the several corners beforehand that maybe he caused a problem for Lewis? More than three blue flags, or whatever it is.

Interesting that we got a couple at Barcelona. Is there something about the circuit that makes it more likely? Or in this case just a coincidence?
Old 17 Aug 2020, 13:02 (Ref:3995970)   #78
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah there were a few of them.

Given the typically processional nature of the race and likelihood of lapping, probably something discussed during the drivers briefing?
Old 17 Aug 2020, 13:48 (Ref:3995981)   #79
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We need footage from the first blue flag Checo. Checo himself doesn’t feel he did much wrong.

It is hard at times, but at least we aren’t seeing the backmarkers behaving like the likes of de Cesarais, Arnoux and Grouilard anymore
Old 17 Aug 2020, 13:59 (Ref:3995986)   #80
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
That said, we should be talking more about Grosjean's racecraft imo...or lack of it.

With each race he looks more and more dangerous...or at least from the footage they show.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 14:18 (Ref:3995994)   #81
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
it involves a bit more than just a throttle stop, Mercedes might tell you exactly what and Ferrari would tell you that the FIA had greed to say nothing specific on the topic.
I'm not suggesting screwing a bit of wood to the floor under the pedal, or even a hi-tech version of the same. But I would be surprised if Mercedes can't find a mechanical arrangement falling outside the definition of a "mode" that at least goes part way towards recovering what has been taken away.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 14:30 (Ref:3995997)   #82
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I'm not suggesting screwing a bit of wood to the floor under the pedal, or even a hi-tech version of the same. But I would be surprised if Mercedes can't find a mechanical arrangement falling outside the definition of a "mode" that at least goes part way towards recovering what has been taken away.
The pedal map must be 1-dimensional from 0% to 100%
Old 17 Aug 2020, 14:49 (Ref:3996000)   #83
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
That said, we should be talking more about Grosjean's racecraft imo...or lack of it.

With each race he looks more and more dangerous...or at least from the footage they show.

It’s funny how leaders of the GPDA don’t always set the best example. First Schumi, now Romain
Old 17 Aug 2020, 15:09 (Ref:3996005)   #84
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It’s funny how leaders of the GPDA don’t always set the best example. First Schumi, now Romain
The irony. I was surprised to find out Grosjean was a director, considering his on track antics.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 15:25 (Ref:3996006)   #85
S griffin
Veteran

Yeah and he doesn’t have success to back him up either
Old 17 Aug 2020, 15:30 (Ref:3996008)   #86
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too bad Verstappen started on the softs. Lewis was driving slow enough to keep MAX in the tyre killing 1.1-1.6s window. Had he started on mediums it would have been easier to keep a healthy gap to Lewis and try to make the mediums go as long as possible.

I don't like the rule that you need to use at least 2 different compounds. It limits alternative strategy options and gives other teams more security on what your options are, making the racing unnecessarily predictable and the strategy battle less interesting. I don't see the upside to the rule.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 15:48 (Ref:3996011)   #87
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yeah and he doesn’t have success to back him up either
He's had a couple of 2nd places at Canada in 2012 and COTA in 2013, which was his best season finishing 7th in the WDC. His last podium was 3rd at Spa in 2015 and since then he's been slowly going backwards, finishing 18th last year. He is currently 21st.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 17:54 (Ref:3996040)   #88
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
he has had an up and down career and it is pretty awesome how he managed to work his way back into F1. i cant think of too many drivers who would have gone back down to GP2 rather than just move on to a different series all together...so much credit and respect to him.

but now they only show him going off track, colliding with his team mate, close calls with other drivers, getting flags i have never heard of before, and always with pieces of carbon hanging off of his car.

he is either completely past it or is sleeping with the tv director's wife.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 19:13 (Ref:3996050)   #89
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Love the last comment Chillibowl..
Mind you, his team mate K Mag is not a lot better. Both very aggressive, I hope we don't see a big accident. Why don't the stewards act on them?
Old 18 Aug 2020, 08:28 (Ref:3996151)   #90
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
I don't like the rule that you need to use at least 2 different compounds. It limits alternative strategy options and gives other teams more security on what your options are, making the racing unnecessarily predictable and the strategy battle less interesting. I don't see the upside to the rule.
I'm with you there Taxi. F1 is full of sticking plaster rules that have been layered one on top of another when the original rule didn't quite work out as the rulemaker intended. I'd like to see the whole F1 rulebook consigned to the bin and then start again with something much simpler. But until we get to Utopia, just ditching the two compound rule would be a good start.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 08:56 (Ref:3996154)   #91
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Thank goodness for Mercedes building such a brilliant car, otherwise this season would be a Verstappen dominated snooze-fest
Old 18 Aug 2020, 11:43 (Ref:3996189)   #92
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I'm with you there Taxi. F1 is full of sticking plaster rules that have been layered one on top of another when the original rule didn't quite work out as the rulemaker intended. I'd like to see the whole F1 rulebook consigned to the bin and then start again with something much simpler. But until we get to Utopia, just ditching the two compound rule would be a good start.

I’m with you guys too, as I explained in another thread. And you are right about the stick plaster rules in F1, always seem to use the quick fix solutions rather than tackle the problem head on, which is why we’ve got gimmicks like DRS. Also this two compound rule is a hangover from the refuelling era. When it was introduced in 07, it was to try and spice up the pitstop strategies a little bit, seeing as we were getting little action on track at the time. So when refuelling was banned for 2010, they should have dropped the two compound rule, as it wasn’t needed anymore
Old 18 Aug 2020, 11:59 (Ref:3996198)   #93
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The blue flag penalties were the result of a new approach and a 'crackdown': https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...on-blue-flags/
Old 18 Aug 2020, 12:07 (Ref:3996204)   #94
S griffin
Veteran

Checo himself said he felt it was easier to let by Lewis on the straight rather than let him through the twisty bits. So I can understand while he’s upset with the penalty

And have backmarkers really been a problem lately? As I said before it’s not like we’re seeing the days of people like Arnoux hardly using their mirrors
Old 21 Aug 2020, 03:33 (Ref:3996781)   #95
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Think you both need to take your tin foil hats off

Again WHY would they sabotage their own driver? What would they gain from it.

It screams of desperation and incompetence not sabotage
Obviously not sabotage, but gross incompetence at best. Now imagine him racing wheel to wheel up front, and getting those communications from his team. The first where he asks what he should be doing to protect his tires, meaning he's thinking it through already. Getting a short "you're good" basically. Then laps later being asked if he thought they could last???? The exasperation alone wouldnhe enough to cause a mistake in a wheel to wheel battle up front....

Quote:
Yet another uneventful affair. Merc and Verstappen are on another level atm.

Ferrari did the right thing keeping Seb out till the end, it was the only way they were ever likely to get a decent result

Racing Points still going strong, shame Checo got that penalty. Hardly ever see penalties for blue flags these days
Ferrari did not do the right thing. They let vettel use up the tires expecting another stop, then came on after he had used them up and asked if he thought they could go to the end... after he asked about targets long ago.... just embarrassing.

Quote:
I mentioned this in another thread, but I've been listening to david samson podcast, the former president of the miami marlins baseball team. He said the players representative for the union were either the least liked guys or one of the junior guys that got stuck with it after the vets passed on it. So looking at it in that way, you could definitely see grosjean being one of the less popular driver in the paddock. Not a junior, but sort of a "pulling his weight" in whatever way he can to stick around. So that's how I view grosjean having that position now.
Old 21 Aug 2020, 08:28 (Ref:3996795)   #96
S griffin
Veteran

GPDA is about driver safety, therefore Grosjean should not be increasing risk to others by driving dangerously. He's not setting a good example to others
Old 21 Aug 2020, 16:53 (Ref:3996899)   #97
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
The exasperation alone wouldnhe enough to cause a mistake in a wheel to wheel battle up front....
Especially if you’re the kind of driver who has a disease where the main symptom is that you are more likely to make a mistake.