Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Jun 2009, 13:16 (Ref:2475328)   #26
bechers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
bechers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme View Post
Why does it have to be historic only at all? Why can't anything without too much grip/downforce/cornering speed be allowed - 2CVs, Sevens, MGs...? If it is historics only, I'm not actually that interested. (Perhaps if it is the case, modern circuits such as Anglesey and Rockingham should be "contemporary cars only" - none of this old tat )
Graeme,
You absolutely right. The main thing we would have is to ensure that cornering speeds are kept reasonable...I currently race a (very) modern MG which would be more than suitable.

As soon as you start playing with anything creating downforce, then you need gravel traps, high-friction tarmac run-off (the MG Car Club run a sprint on the G.P circuit at Silverstone which starts at Chapel - we use the tarmac run-off on the exit of Becketts as the paddock - it is massive).

For Aintree, this means introducing chicanes and finding space to create run-off which would probably by very difficult, although the Grand National course actually provides this function at the moment, especially at Village and Bechers, which are high speed corners, even in Production Cars - my MG ZT exits Bechers at 110mph during a Sprint.

Mike
Old 4 Jun 2009, 13:36 (Ref:2475334)   #27
bechers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
And for God's sake if you do do something historic make it a tad later than that silly 66 cut off everyone goes for as it cuts out so many good cars including mine! I would suggest a good cut off that many people could relate to would be when the government considers a car historic and allow you to run with no road fund licence, i.e. any vehicle manufactured before January 1st 1973. If you go pre-66 you will just be one of many chasing the same old thing, it could then possibly become the Northern equivilant of the Goodwood Festival but less stuffy and would suit the more down to earth nature of the area.
Al, when we ran the festival in 2004, most of the cars came from the era when the circuit was operational 54-64 for the G.P, and 82 for the Club Circuit.

However, we ran everything and anything - oldest bike was a 1929 Turner, we had ERA's and pre war Alfa's up to modern day machinery - Lawrence Tomlinson brought his then current work's TVR Le Mans cars, we had some fairly modern F1's, Formula 5000's and so on as well as contemporary road cars.

Our aim is to be enclusive rather exclusive.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2475484)   #28
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think the cornering speeds can be controlled with the use of tyres specified. I ran a very successful race series for a long while in fact John H who used to own and run (may still do) the Aintree Race School which moved to Three Sisters was on board with us for a good few seasons and I think one of its keys to its success was we ran on list 1a tyres, not so much grip, lasted for ever and produced exciting spectacular racing on a budget.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 20:35 (Ref:2475527)   #29
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I think the cornering speeds can be controlled with the use of tyres specified. I ran a very successful race series for a long while in fact John H who used to own and run (may still do) the Aintree Race School which moved to Three Sisters was on board with us for a good few seasons and I think one of its keys to its success was we ran on list 1a tyres, not so much grip, lasted for ever and produced exciting spectacular racing on a budget.
John H sold out some years ago. I lost the advertising deal at the same time

I'm hoping to attend the Aintree do next Tuesday, so will report back.

I never raced at Aintree, although I entered a 750MC Meeting with the FFord in 82, but my engine didn't arrive back from the builders in time. I did a lot of test days and track days on the Club Circuit in the 80's and 90's so actually know the circuit fairly well.

It will be interesting to see and hear what's planned.
Old 6 Jun 2009, 06:23 (Ref:2476347)   #30
davedgerally
Rookie

davedgerally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See from your reply to another post that you will be setting up a web site for ACC..look forward to having a look at it.Will membership of ACC be acvailable at re-launch night ? cheers DAVE
Old 6 Jun 2009, 06:39 (Ref:2476349)   #31
bechers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedgerally View Post
See from your reply to another post that you will be setting up a web site for ACC..look forward to having a look at it.Will membership of ACC be acvailable at re-launch night ? cheers DAVE
Dave,

We already have a website, http://www.aintree.org.uk but this is being professionally re-designed to show the rebranding of the Club. Membership will be available on the night with nicely designed new cards - although we still have the old traditional cards that you will remember from the past.

Thanks

Mike
Old 8 Jun 2009, 15:27 (Ref:2477742)   #32
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just out of interest, for people like me who did not know what the layout at Aintree was like, If you go on the "Google Earth" & input "Aintree" it will take you to a birds eye view of the circuit as it is now(ish). If you "move the picture magnification closer in" then you will be able to click on some small blue squares which appear & will allow pop ups to be revealed which show cars & bikes on track, and views of the drivers eye views of some of the entries into corners.

Tags
formula 1, formula 2, formula ford, historic racing