Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 11 Jul 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1352615)   #1
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Golden Gate" Marshals bridge

Any comments on this? Tried it once,mainly for the view it gave. I appreciate it was there for our "safety",but it looked very unwelcoming,after a long,hot day on the bank. Besides,if you can avoid the dangers of marshalling....
Old 11 Jul 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1352679)   #2
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Think it was a waste of money, I never used the bridge and like you say after standing on the bank all day the last thing i wanted was a load of steps to walk.
i did not see the point in the bridge.......
Old 11 Jul 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1352692)   #3
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Red Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, what a waste of time and money. If it were meant to keep you ot of the path of the traffic then it only did half a job because once you had crossed that you still had to cross the (granted, slightly less busy) road into the media car park.

The bridge was also unappealing after a day spectating in the sun!!

Rosie
Old 11 Jul 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1352693)   #4
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silly question. What circuit?
Old 11 Jul 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1352700)   #5
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase
Silly question. What circuit?
Silverstone
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:00 (Ref:1352744)   #6
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you're 6 feet 7, it's easy you just look at the pillock Security Guy & ask him if he likes hospital food. I didn't use the bridge at all!
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1352753)   #7
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would guess it was less about our safety and more to aid the traffic flow into the carparks - at the point where spectators are pouring into the car parks people walking across the road has a fairly large effect of how quickly they can get the cars in and out. If the carpark queue stacks back to the main road that effects the other entrances to the circuit and starts to cause difficulties. Plus there is a safety risk to us in doing that.

I though the security staff dealt with it very well and asked people politely to use the bridge only at times when the road was busiest - I wasn't asked to use it at any time coming back but I was usually a bit later back than the majority of people I'd guess.

Personally I avoid being rude to the security staff, they are only following instructions and are there to do a job. I don't expect people to be rude to me when I'm doing my job so I return the compliment whenever I can. From what I could see the security guys did a sterling job all weekend - we didn't seem to have waifs and strays on the campsite yet they also didn't stop marshals in orange who were weighed down with bags to ask to see their wristbands.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1352759)   #8
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Politeness costs nothing of course, I was polite & didn't swear.........honest!
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1352771)   #9
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the bridge wasn't for OUR benefit, as said it was to aid the ingress of traffic to stop it backing up onto the main road in the morning. Therefore it was not needed in the evening.
Security did a pretty good job, except that when i got to the 'party' at 9pm, there was no beer left, so who drank it all - or is that another thread??
Old 11 Jul 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1352812)   #10
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bridge too far me thinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
Politeness costs nothing of course, I was polite & didn't swear.........honest!
And neither did I - I just politely told the security guards that "With my gammy leg(s) I'd risk the traffic, thanks!"
Well! Who wanted to risk it with a bag in the MORNING, let alone at night when we were all kn*k*r*d and suffering from sun-stroke/boredom?
Old 11 Jul 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1352876)   #11
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
was it just me or did the bottom few steps fall away from you as you went up, which made you feel you were gonna fall base over apex
Old 12 Jul 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1353414)   #12
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least one person was injured getting off the bridge, pulling ligaments in his leg. Like a lot of people I didn't use it but no-one said anything. I found security to be very friendly, even when doing the bag check on Friday. Perhaps if you're polite to them they return the compliment.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1353440)   #13
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didnt hear about the injury but it doesnt surprise me looking at the 'slope' on those steps, i too didnt use it & fortunately wasnt asked to either! security were very friendly AND helpful, especially on arrival finding my pitch was half way down the steepest part of the slope and unable to level my caravan the cheerfully helped re-allocate me to a flatter pitch.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1353501)   #14
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
the bridge wasn't for OUR benefit, as said it was to aid the ingress of traffic to stop it backing up onto the main road in the morning. Therefore it was not needed in the evening.
Security did a pretty good job, except that when i got to the 'party' at 9pm, there was no beer left, so who drank it all - or is that another thread??
Yes it is another thread, see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
was it just me or did the bottom few steps fall away from you as you went up, which made you feel you were gonna fall base over apex
Yes, the first flight of steps definitely had a backwards slope, had to be very careful.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 14:01 (Ref:1353548)   #15
Yogi Bear
Rookie

Isle of Man
Up a Gum Tree
Yogi Bear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So where about's did this bridge cross the circuit or was it solely outside to cross the main road???
Old 12 Jul 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1353646)   #16
dave thomas
Rookie

United Kingdom
Runcorn, Cheshire
dave thomas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandslammer
Any comments on this? Tried it once,mainly for the view it gave. I appreciate it was there for our "safety",but it looked very unwelcoming,after a long,hot day on the bank. Besides,if you can avoid the dangers of marshalling....
"Safety" .I used a few steps of it as a viewing platform on the way to see Jules Holland. I walked off the far side, put my foot on some uneven ground and twisted on my ankle, with an audible crack. I hobbled back to the campsite, with a pulled ligament.

My thanks to Paul (master chef), Glynn (who came up with a novel chilled Fosters ice pack) Terry for the medication and the other members of the 'curry club' for waiting on me foot and foot and Keith for driving me home.
Many thanks to the gang for the banter, which makes the whole BGP weekend worthwhile and once again to Paul and Glynn for organising the 'curry club'.

Dave.