Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Jun 2006, 10:52 (Ref:1636230)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Le Mans Historic Legends races.

Thought I'd open a thread on this for any comments/discussion etc.

Just watched both races on Motors TV; good battles at the front reduced the coverage of the other cars. Nevertheless, a fine Pre War battle between poleman Luke Stevens in the little supercharged 2 litre Alta and the big Talbot 105 (BGH 21) driven by Gareth Burnett. The commentators suggested that with so much passing and repassing, this battle may have been staged. However, the amount of cornering effort displayed by both drivers suggested that they were trying pretty hard especially over the last couple of laps and Gareth won by half a cars length. I think that both cars (certainly the Talbot, anyway) are owned by John Ruston. Both Gareth and John are 10-Tenths members, so I hope they will post here with their comments, in due course.

The Post war race saw a fine race between Gary Pearson in the C-type and Joe Colassaco in the beautiful Alfa Romeo 3000CM (a true GT car) which was settled in favour of Pearson. He had eased out a few car lengths lead when they started to lap backmarkers and the Alfa lost further time. A monumental effort by Colassaco over the last couple of laps to close the gap ended in a spin and he came home about 15 seconds or so behind the C-type. A great effort though.

Lots of great cars down both fields, but as I say, we didn't see much of them. Some pics. would be great!

Last edited by John Turner; 22 Jun 2006 at 09:59. Reason: Spelling correction!
Old 18 Jun 2006, 23:49 (Ref:1636917)   #2
roadmap
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
roadmap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans ACO centeneray races

Just returned from a superb weekend, who would have thought a diesel powered car would ever have won the 24 hr race. Legends organised a spectacular show for ACO and the prewar racing excited the hundreds of thousands of spectators at the circuit and countless other thousand maybe millions who saw the races live on television worldwide. John Rushtons cars were immaculate as usual and both drivers put on a wonderful race , he really should be congratulated in consistantly providing the many passionate spectators who turn up at these hostoric events. It has postive knock on effects for many other vintage/ historic meetings. There was quite a tussle that went on behind the leading cars with the 4.25 Bentley and the Lag V12 along with Miss Masons Aston swapping places up until the finish, behind them a battle was going on with all sorts of cars, Bugattis, Alfas and the Bentley boys all giving it welly.

The postwar race was very lively and my Hrg twincam driven by Patrick Blakeney Edwards and prepared by his brother Simon had its first competative outing since Watkins Glen in 75 s getting passed the Silverstone, Fiat V8 and the Ferrari 500TR. It passed the Alfa in the photo and went on to claim a further four places before retiring as a precaution. I have over 500 pictures of the vent and will post some later.

Congratulations to Duncan Wiltshire and his team (A Bloody good show) for the event, hospitality and the warm ambience.
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled-1.jpg  
Old 19 Jun 2006, 07:20 (Ref:1636990)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I saw the pre war race, on Motors TV, rather than trackside as in previous recent years, I thought it was a great advert for historics, and we probably saw more action from 2 cars in an hour than one normally does in a season of F1 ! and 130+ mph on the Mulsanne straight on bicycle tyres isn't for the feint hearted
Old 19 Jun 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1637142)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went to Le Mans for the first time and was lucky enough to drive down in a 246 Dino missed the historic races rather annoyingly.It was a fantastic weekend and the weather was perfect - I have been spoilt as I gather sometimes it can rain!!!
On a connected front to historics Gregor Fisken - a very active campaigner and sponsorer in historics and good guy did fantastically well to keep going til the morning.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1639105)   #5
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I ran out of fuel on the last lap while third in the second of the Altas! Blooming good fun though. And yes well done Duncan and team. I drank a lot of wine afterwards.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 13:34 (Ref:1639116)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Ranter
I ran out of fuel on the last lap while third in the second of the Altas! Blooming good fun though. And yes well done Duncan and team. I drank a lot of wine afterwards.
That Sir, is a top quality weekend in my book

apart from running out of fuel !
Old 25 Jun 2006, 09:33 (Ref:1640714)   #7
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Astons

Any photos on the Post War Legends Astons would be good, i believe it was shown on satelite tv, if any videos or dvd's are available it would be good to have a copy