Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 11 Sep 2006, 19:52 (Ref:1708240)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"Carnage"

Whilst at home today, Motors TV was on in the background as I was having my lunch.

"Oh, absolute Carnage" screeched the commentator............obviously my ears pricked up and I started to pay attention!
The replay showed a puegot spin at the first corner and around 6 other cars take avoiding action - no contact............yet it was described as carnage.

This evening - Motors TV again and this time the Ultimate Karting Challenge.......rolling start..............Kart hits a cone and a couple of other Karts spin out/run wide..............all continue. "It's Carnage" again whittered the commentator.

To me, the word Carnage is so over-used in Motorsport.
Carnage suggests multiple serious injuries and/or fatalities in my book.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 04:39 (Ref:1708485)   #2
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like Leigh Diffy....
Old 12 Sep 2006, 06:27 (Ref:1708521)   #3
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree entirely, there is no need to be screaming "CARNAGE" and "Oh the HUMANITY" as the car ambles by in the pitlane trailing a bumper! Same goes for marshals, we have marshals in Ireland that damn near activate the entire emergency rescue service every time someone lands in their gravel trap.

I've had a similar argument on this website not so long ago where people insisted that red flags should be used every time there is debris on the circuit or if a car spins and stalls. Keep that crap up and its no wonder we get second guessed by race control when we request session stops etc.

As for the commentator, he's either really excitable or really bored!

Last edited by Doc Hollywood; 12 Sep 2006 at 06:34.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1708968)   #4
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
another comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc H
As for the commentator, he's either really excitable or really bored!
Or a "bleeding heart liberal" who doesn't own a car. doesn't know how to drive and hates motorsport.
Old 13 Sep 2006, 09:58 (Ref:1709472)   #5
vw_nut
Veteran

England
hereford
vw_nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
people get to excited by things it not carnage unless in my eyes ita race stopping incident
Old 15 Sep 2006, 02:35 (Ref:1710658)   #6
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA
Sounds like Leigh Diffy....
& Mark Oastler had a habit of saying "crunch" whenever there was a hit in V8Supercar races and suddenly he stopped doing it, unconfirmed but I believe a compilation video of many many examples might be to blame
Old 16 Sep 2006, 02:40 (Ref:1711541)   #7
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No offense meant, but I find that sports announcers in the UK go over the top with shouting and screaming and, frankly, faking excitement in the extreme over potential goals/passes/points. Do they really think it helps the sport if they shred their vocal cords over a pass for ninth place or a missed kick?

I thought some of our Yank announcers are bad, but yours are awful. My condolences.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 08:18 (Ref:1711648)   #8
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflagger
No offense meant, but I find that sports announcers in the UK go over the top with shouting and screaming and, frankly, faking excitement in the extreme over potential goals/passes/points. Do they really think it helps the sport if they shred their vocal cords over a pass for ninth place or a missed kick?

I thought some of our Yank announcers are bad, but yours are awful. My condolences.
Those guys who commentate on NASCAR and IRL/ChampCar are jus' wunnerful and American racing would not be the same without them. Just wish I could remember their names! (There's at least one called "Buddy".)

And, before anyone takes offence, it is not just the "phraseology" but more the blooming knowledge, history etc.

But can you really beat Muddly Talker? Volume a'plenty and we all loved shouting the reality back at him.....
Old 16 Sep 2006, 13:17 (Ref:1711824)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflagger

So, you've heard James Allen then?
Old 16 Sep 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1711933)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
Those guys who commentate on NASCAR and IRL/ChampCar are jus' wunnerful and American racing would not be the same without them. Just wish I could remember their names! (There's at least one called "Buddy".)
Buddy Baker, who is (I think) the source of my current signature.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 17:55 (Ref:1711943)   #11
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Woolley: Doesn't that just prove how wunnerful they are?
Old 16 Sep 2006, 19:03 (Ref:1711965)   #12
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
So, you've heard James Allen then?
Yes, I miss Murray Walker who really did get excited as opposed to just keeping the volume on full blast.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1712028)   #13
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I don't believe Formula Ford racing is seen on telly very often these days..hence....