Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 May 2022, 23:16 (Ref:4111553)   #701
Theunser
Racer

Theunser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes, they seemed very unlikely to get seats again after that
I mean they showed their talent previously, so I wouldn't say it was that unlikely. The unlikely thing was the negotiations with Ligier, as it was quite a strong team at the time(okay not that strong in '92, but clearly, they had promise)
I think they should have gone to italian teams, to somewhat reset their careers. Capelli in fact was linked to Minardi, and came really close to the Scuderia Italia seat.
On the other hand Modena.... I guess he could have gone to some of the smaller teams, but he just did not have the motivation any longer, and so decided to leave.
Old 28 May 2022, 07:25 (Ref:4111579)   #702
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Both fine drivers although a bit sensitive.

If Modena had a thicker skin I reckon he would have been at least a regular race winner in F1. He had an artistry to his driving.
Old 28 May 2022, 09:45 (Ref:4111598)   #703
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Modena was one of the biggest waste of talents in F1. Like Jan Magnussen, he had shown his talent, but didn’t make the most of it
Old 28 May 2022, 10:15 (Ref:4111599)   #704
Theunser
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Both fine drivers although a bit sensitive.

If Modena had a thicker skin I reckon he would have been at least a regular race winner in F1. He had an artistry to his driving.
He might have had some mental problems, like perfectionism or OCD. And having suffered from both, I can assure, that it is like hell, and that reduces your performance, motivation and literally everything.
Old 28 May 2022, 18:51 (Ref:4111659)   #705
Theunser
Racer

From Autosport Magazine, 1989-11-16, #46

-51% of Osella has been bought by wheel manufacturer, Fondmetal. As they looking to enter the german market they are likely to sign a driver from Germany. The main candidate is Bernd Schneider, but the team also held talks with Christian Danner.
-As Luis Perez-Sala will probably be released, Minardi is looking for a replacement. Altough Gregor Foitek wants to join the Faenza team, Pirelli would prefer Roberto Moreno.
Old 29 May 2022, 09:45 (Ref:4111697)   #706
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunser View Post
He might have had some mental problems, like perfectionism or OCD. And having suffered from both, I can assure, that it is like hell, and that reduces your performance, motivation and literally everything.

He needed everything to be right. His mechanics found his rituals to be quite infuriating after a while. Needing to have the right hotel rooms, enter the car the right side etc.
Old 29 May 2022, 16:27 (Ref:4111777)   #707
Theunser
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
He needed everything to be right. His mechanics found his rituals to be quite infuriating after a while. Needing to have the right hotel rooms, enter the car the right side etc.
Yeah, thats literally the description of OCD. Having certain things to be done in a certain way. He wasn't just superstitous i think, he might rather have had this problem.
Old 30 May 2022, 14:46 (Ref:4112053)   #708
Theunser
Racer

So part two coming up, as i promised, about the 1992 Silly Season. Sources are yet again from Globo. This covers the transfer market situation as of 8th of January, 1992.

Mclaren-Honda: Senna and Berger confirmed.

Williams-Renault: Mansell and Patrese confirmed, despite Patrese being linked to Ferrari in December.

Ferrari: The Maranello team is supposed to run Alesi and Capelli, but Luca di Montezemolo's return might change that. Ferrari showed interest previously in Patrese, now Nelson Piquet's name pops up. He could replace Alesi, who might go to Jordan in this case. However Gianni Agnelli, FIAT president and Ferrari's main shareholder prefers Michael Schumacher.

Benetton-Ford: Brundle is signed for 1992. However in the scenario, if Schumacher-who is under contract too-goes to Ferrari, Prost could arrive to lead the team.

Tyrrell-?????: No drivers are confirmed yet, nor does the engine supplier. Drivers could either be Roberto Moreno, Mauricio Gugelmin, Alex Zanardi or Gianni Morbidelli.

Ligier-Renault: Boutsen is confirmed, alongside him could either be Prost, who is favoured, or Nelson Piquet. (Globo's article doesen't even mention Érik Comas)

Minardi-Lamborghini: Reigning F3000 champion Christian Fittipaldi is confirmed at Minardi. Alongside him Gianni Morbidelli will probably be retained. If not, Minardi could have a full-brazilian line-up, with either Gugelmin or Moreno taking the seat.

Larrousse-Lamborghini: Katayama, Japanese F3000 champion is confirmed at the team. Many names are in contention for the available seat though, including Bertrand Gachot, Éric Bernard and Gianni Morbidelli.

Footwork-Honda: Alboreto and Suzuki confirmed.

Andrea Moda-Judd: Alex Caffi and Naoki Hattori are listed as the team's drivers.

Leyton House-Ilmor: Only Gugelmin is mentioned here, as he waits whatever happens to the team, which is in financial trouble. Unless Mercedes-Benz help arrives, he will leave, and the team's future is questionable.

Brabham-Judd: Van de Poele and Nakaya are the nominated drivers.

Lotus-Ford: Hakkinen will be partnered by either Herbert or Coulthard.

Fondmetal-Ford: They will run Gabriele Tarquini and Andrea Chiesa.

Jordan-Yamaha: Stefano Modena is confirmed, the other seat is yet to be taken. Alesi could end up here if he is ousted by Ferrari. If he could stay at Maranello the seat could go to de Cesaris, Zanardi or Damon Hill.

Scuderia Italia-Ferrari: The Martini-Lehto duo will drive for them.

*Both AGS and Lambo are listed as entrants without any drivers mentioned.
Old 26 Jul 2022, 15:25 (Ref:4120566)   #709
Theunser
Racer

Part 3 of the 1992 driver transfer rumours from Globo.

But before I go into it, I'd like to indicate that I'll be moving this thread to the motorsport history forum(should have started it there, but I only realised such thing exists). I recently acquired a few old magazines and I am planning a few posts with sources, I hope I wil have time to do it.

Well then, the rumours are from the 5th of February, note that the entry list deadline was on the 7th of February.

Confirmed drivers:
Mclaren-Honda V12:Senna-Berger
Williams-Renault V10:Mansell-Patrese
Ferrari V10:Alesi-Capelli
Benetton-Ford V8:Schumacher-Brundle
Jordan-Yamaha V12:Modena-Gugelmin
Footwork/Arrows-Mugen V10:Alboreto-Suzuki
Minardi-Lamborghini V12:Morbidelli-Fittipaldi
BMS Dallara-Ferrari V12:Lehto-Martini
Fondmetal-Ford V8:Tarquini-Chiesa
Ligier-Renault V10:Boutsen-????
Tyrrell-Ilmor V10:Grouillard-????
Venturi Larrousse-Lamborghini V12:Katayama-????
Andrea Moda-Judd V10:Caffi-????
Brabham-Judd V10:Van de Poele-????
Lotus-Ford V8:Hakkinen-????
March-Ilmor V10:no drivers confirmed yet

Drivers who are still looking, and their possible destinations:
Nelson Piquet:Ligier or Larrousse
Alain Prost:Ligier
Roberto Moreno:Tyrrell or Larrousse
Andrea De Cesaris:Tyrrell or March or Andrea Moda
Karl Wendlinger:Tyrrell or March
Bertrand Gachot:Larrousse or March or Andrea Moda(Globo only mentions Andrea Moda, but for a fact I know Gachot's name was linked to March and Larrousse, the latter he even tested and ended up driving in '92)
Giovanna Amati:Brabham
Erik Comas:Ligier or Tyrrell or Larrousse
David Coulthard:Lotus
Johnny Herbert:Lotus
Eric Bernard:Larrousse or March
Pedro Chaves:March
Nicola Larini:Larrousse or March or Brabham or Andrea Moda
Emanuele Pirro:Tyrrell or Larrousse or Andrea Moda
Michael Bartels:Lotus
Old 21 May 2023, 15:07 (Ref:4157183)   #710
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
I have been reading a book about James Hunt, and there are a lot of interesting potential moves for him mentioned:

Apparently, after Hesketh effectively pulled out in 1975 (before being revived early in 1976), Hunt was in talks to join Lotus but they wanted him to drive for nothing. Also, Bernie Ecclestone attempted to run a Brabham B-team for Hunt in 1976, but using a Ford Cosworth engine instead of the Alfa Romeo (so he would probably have beaten Reutemann and Pace). Alfa Romeo refused. Hunt's backup offer was with Wolf-Williams for that team before he eventually got the McLaren drive.

Also, the driver James Hunt was fighting for the seat with after Emerson Fittipaldi retired was Jacky Ickx, although their first choice was to bring back Jackie Stewart. It was also expected at the time that Jochen Mass would develop into a top-class driver so they didn't necessarily need to sign a number one driver. Either way, if Ickx or Mass had been leading the team, McLaren would not have nicked that title. Indeed, apart from Stewart, I don't think any other driver in the world at the time would have been able to capitalise on Niki Lauda's misfortune to win that championship apart from James Hunt; not even Emerson Fittipaldi.

Later in the book, it is mentioned that Ferrari wanted to sign James Hunt to replace Carlos Reutemann for 1979, although talks didn't get very far and they went with Jody Scheckter. Although Hunt had had an awful season in 1978, I think he would have recaptured his form in a top car and been able to beat Villeneuve to that title, as the Hunt of 1975-77 was surely a stronger driver than Scheckter. Obviously it wouldn't have made any difference to Ferrari who won anyway, and Scheckter was possibly a safer pair of hands if not as fast as Hunt.
Old 21 May 2023, 20:41 (Ref:4157285)   #711
S griffin
Veteran

Which Hunt book was that you were reading BTCC Frog? I have read those rumours too by the way
Old 22 May 2023, 04:37 (Ref:4157386)   #712
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Not sure I would agree with much of the Hunt being better than the Carlos's, Scheckter or Gilles comments.
Even though he was champion in '76 there is little doubt that he benefited from lauda's misfortune.
Old 22 May 2023, 07:16 (Ref:4157398)   #713
S griffin
Veteran

Hunt was good, but Carlos was definitely better, just never in the right place at the right time. However I wouldn't necessarily say Scheckter was better and Villeneuve definitely got the enjoyment out of it. To be fair there wasn't too much competition in 76 and Lauda's accident did help him yes
Old 22 May 2023, 10:59 (Ref:4157430)   #714
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
The book was Shunt by Tom Rubython, and I personally would rate James Hunt more highly than Reutemann or Scheckter (Gilles Villeneuve is more difficult as he was quite inconsistent, but on a good day he was as good as Prost or Senna, but in 1979 he was beaten by Scheckter over the season). Also, I thought that before I read the book, it is not just recency bias

I agree that Hunt somewhat lucked into his title, but even after Lauda's accident he still had something of a mountain to climb, and I'm not sure even Fittipaldi would have delivered the title under those circumstances that season. The McLaren didn't seem like the class of the field but Hunt consistently dominated Jochen Mass and beat the Tyrrells which were on a similar level (perhaps slightly ahead pre-Paul Ricard, and behind after), one of which was Jody Scheckter. I also think Hunt really seemed to punch above his weight when driving for Hesketh in the earlier seasons, in a way that was never really seen from Reutemann or Scheckter. Reutemann was very good on his day but quite inconsistent, and I think he was somewhat put in the shade by both Niki Lauda and Alan Jones when teammate to them, although he was evenly-matched with Mario Andretti.

I wrote these articles about the drivers which might explain a bit why I rate Hunt higher than the others. Although obviously it is impossible to know for sure who was the best of the four, but that is why it is an enjoyable debate!

https://f1frogblog.wordpress.com/202...ody-scheckter/
https://f1frogblog.wordpress.com/202...los-reutemann/
https://f1frogblog.wordpress.com/202...es-villeneuve/
https://f1frogblog.wordpress.com/202...17-james-hunt/