Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Nov 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1153951)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
" Son of a Jaguar" drivers

So the guys in the running are
Ant, DC , Nick Heidfeld, Pizzonia, Klein. anybody else?

Good news for DC, if it does not work out at Williams i think he has a reasonable shot at the seat. I Klein sponsored by red bull? if so then i think he is probably a certainty in one of the seats..
Old 15 Nov 2004, 13:19 (Ref:1153952)   #2
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vitantonio Liuzzi should be on the list!
Old 15 Nov 2004, 13:20 (Ref:1153954)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I understand Liuzzi is virtually a stick-on for one of the seats.

It would be sensible to put Coulthard in the other and have Klien as test driver.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 13:31 (Ref:1153970)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt Williams would release Pizzonia, he's of great value to them as a test driver, and could be their best choice of #2.

My choice would be Heidfeld and either Wirdheim or Liuzzi, perhaps with the other of those 2 as test/third driver. Assuming the rules don't change Klien can't do the Friday morning duties, and I think Red Bull have stopped backing him anyway.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 13:59 (Ref:1154000)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting news, thus Liuzzi could have more chances
Old 15 Nov 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1154043)   #6
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Purnell likes Luzzi and he has red bull written through him like a stick of rock so yeah, I'd imagine he'll be in.

I'd have thought DC would be primed for the other seat with klein as tester.

if heidfeld doesn't get the willy race drive he'll likely get the test drive. So pizza may then be free to move and he'll be pretty devastated if he doesn't get the race seaT AND may want to go anyway. but after his experiences at Jag I doubt he would be top of their list.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 14:56 (Ref:1154053)   #7
Shunt the Hunt
Racer

France
Paris
Shunt the Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget Christian Klien and Narain Karthikeyan who was backed by Red Bull in Nissan WS (India is a huge business market for RB).
Old 15 Nov 2004, 15:14 (Ref:1154075)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Assuming the rules don't change Klien can't do the Friday morning duties, and I think Red Bull have stopped backing him anyway.
On account of this, can people who predicts or suggests Klien as tester have a quick rethink?

Karthikeyan is another option, but he's more likely to go to Red Bull's IRL team. Never really thought he'd be good enough for F1.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 15:46 (Ref:1154093)   #9
billiaml
Racer

United States
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA
billiaml should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
I understand Liuzzi is virtually a stick-on for one of the seats.

It would be sensible to put Coulthard in the other and have Klien as test driver.
I like your drivers but, since Klien is at least familiar with all of the tracks on the scheduele, I'd lean towards keeping him as the #2 driver and make Liuzzi the test driver.

At least we agree that whoever the #1 driver is, he has to be a seasoned veteran.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1154098)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Williams decide not to use Pizzonia right now, it might make sense to keep him under contract and let him get more experience in F1.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 17:33 (Ref:1154230)   #11
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by billiaml
I like your drivers but, since Klien is at least familiar with all of the tracks on the scheduele, I'd lean towards keeping him as the #2 driver and make Liuzzi the test driver.

At least we agree that whoever the #1 driver is, he has to be a seasoned veteran.
I think you're right. It would be mad not to keep the continuity with Klien, especially now he knows the tracks and wasn't that bad last year. Luizzi would probably benefit from a years testing, and giving DC or Heidfield a year's contract would make perfect sense to use their experience.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 17:43 (Ref:1154236)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DC could be saved.

Link
Old 15 Nov 2004, 17:46 (Ref:1154238)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also Christian Klein has been comfirmed for 2005.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 17:50 (Ref:1154240)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally posted by luke
Also Christian Klein has been comfirmed for 2005.
Scott Speed is likely to be test driver.

I don't know if old news but Gehard Berger is rumored to join.

(apoliges for 3rd post in a row, clicked quote instead of edit ).

Last edited by luke; 15 Nov 2004 at 17:53.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 18:05 (Ref:1154251)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Berger would be a more sensible choice of driver than Scott Speed, that's for sure.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 18:11 (Ref:1154257)   #16
billiaml
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally posted by luke
Scott Speed is likely to be test driver.

I don't know if old news but Gehard Berger is rumored to join.

(apoliges for 3rd post in a row, clicked quote instead of edit ).
Even tho Scott Speed has done well this year, I'd kind of hoped he would spend another year or 2 in Jr Formulae before moving up to F1.

Hadn't heard @ Gehard Berger. They've got quite a pool of young talent to choose from, don't they?

Apology accepted. Take off the Honest mistake. I do it all the time; it's just that now I catch myself, go back 1 screen, and click "edit."
Old 15 Nov 2004, 18:33 (Ref:1154268)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gerhard Berger has said he won't be taking any sort of full time role in F1 in the near future.

Purnell and Pitchforth will do a good job for Red Bull.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 18:55 (Ref:1154295)   #18
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad Klein has a seat for 2005. He was a plesant surprise this year.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 18:57 (Ref:1154299)   #19
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Klein was brilliant but did a good job... enough to deserve a second chance..
Old 15 Nov 2004, 19:10 (Ref:1154312)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He did more than enough. Easily the best rookie and the longest lasting team-mate of Mark Webbers! (Red Bull money or not. Besides, RB went off him pretty quickly).
Old 15 Nov 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1154441)   #21
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where have you read that Klien's been confirmed? All the major websites state that Red Bull are still undecided on their 2005 line-up.

Liuzzi is a world class talent, he will be exceptional and is more than worthy of a seat at any F1 team in my opinion. For sure he deserves one of those Jag/Red Bull seats more than anyone. The other I would give to a more experienced racer, in my opinion Nick Heidfeld. The guy worked wonders at Jordan last year and deserves a chance further up the pecking order again.

DC's had more than his fair share of chances now and in my opinion Heidfeld would be a better bet for Red Bull as he could develop a car as well as Coulthard and could drive it a damn site faster!

Give Ant the Williams seat, employ Klien as a test driver at Red Bull and Pizza as test driver at Willy and I'll be happy!
Old 15 Nov 2004, 20:46 (Ref:1154455)   #22
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
Where have you read that Klien's been confirmed? All the major websites state that Red Bull are still undecided on their 2005 line-up.
I read from a secret source . Dietrich Mateschitz has made it clear that Christian Klein will retain his seat following the company's takeover.

Klein shall have a test in November to officialiate his postion.

And if you look at the candidates David Coulthard is just about the other driver and a slight chance of Luizzi as driver, but more likely test driver.

Last edited by luke; 15 Nov 2004 at 20:52.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 21:18 (Ref:1154481)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Really they should have gone for Liuzzi or Wirdheim as their driver a year ago. I know Klien is Austrian, but I thought the whole point of Red Bull's sponsorship was to promote their product internationally? Although Christian is a good driver, and appeared to improve as the season went on, I'm in no doubt that Tonio and Bjorn have more potential.

They do definitely need an experienced driver in the other car. DC would be the best for publicity, Heidfeld has long-term potential, but which would be faster in the here and now?
Old 15 Nov 2004, 21:27 (Ref:1154497)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Coulthard.

If Heidfeld was better than him, Ron would have had him in a McLaren in 2001.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 21:32 (Ref:1154503)   #25
billiaml
Racer

United States
Considering the amount of pressure that Red Bull put on Jag last year to get them to put Klien into a race seat rather than a test role, this really comes as no surprise; even tho, @ one point during the season, they more-or-less admitted that he would have been better off testing rather than racing. Live & learn, eh?

Now that he has a year under his belt, tho -- and is more familiar with the car, the circuits, etc -- we should get a better idea what this young man is capable of.