Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 12 Jan 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1198986)   #1
No 4
Veteran

No 4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mallory taken over by BARC

Just announced. What do people think? Will it remain the 'friendly circuit'?
Old 12 Jan 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1199010)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think this has been on the cards for some time. BARC have been looking to 'own' a circuit as there are certain advantages to be had in other areas.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1199019)   #3
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please note that I belive BARC have not bought Mallory Park.

They have 'only' bought Mallory Park Motorsport which manages the circuit etc. albeit for a knockdown price I believe.

I did hear other 'entrepreneurial' bidders were keen but that the previous owners of the lease would not sell to them...
Old 12 Jan 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1199020)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can I suggest this goes to Trackside please? It's of interest beyond S/Sreaters and we don't need duplicate threads.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1199033)   #5
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not a massive surprise...
Old 12 Jan 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1199050)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
full story is in MN
Old 12 Jan 2005, 15:59 (Ref:1199052)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Can I suggest this goes to Trackside please? It's of interest beyond S/Sreaters and we don't need duplicate threads.

Done with pleasure.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 16:22 (Ref:1199063)   #8
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must admit that I have not seen MN yet. I seem to remember that the BARC were supposed to be considering relocating their HQ from Thruxton to Donington Park a few years ago. I think that this coincided with the time that SFX or ClearChannel or whoever it was were trying to get out of their lease with Tom Wheatcroft. I am not sure why the BARC were considering the move (lower property/ rent prices in the Midlands perhaps) but does the take over of the management of Mallory indicate that a move of the HQ to the Midlands might be back on the cards?
Old 12 Jan 2005, 16:27 (Ref:1199065)   #9
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Easier Access for Events

Will the take over mean that...
a) other clubs will be able to get access to the facilities?
b) BARC area organisers will be able to get access to either Mallory or Thruxton more easily?
or
c) is it the end to all speculation of 'low cost motorsport in the Midlands'?

Let's hope it is either a or b!
Old 12 Jan 2005, 16:39 (Ref:1199073)   #10
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would imagine (a) - as there is a licence for 40 competitive days a year and there is no way BARC could fill all of those themselves. In particular, I imagine the 2005 calendar will be honoured. Comparison to Thruxton (which is used very little really) is pointless, comparison to Pembrey - which is used by a number of clubs - perhaps more realistic.

Equally, I'm sure (b) would apply too. Who knows about (c)...
Old 12 Jan 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1199138)   #11
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good News.....the important thing is that the circuit remains in the hands of a racing organisation.

Mallory is very close to a Kirkby Mallory village (the esses back on to someones garden!) which is very commutable for Nottingham, Leicester and Birmingham. With that lake it would have made a very pretty housing estate, so lets be thankful it remains a race track!
Old 12 Jan 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1199347)   #12
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't it wonderful that BARC love me so much they bought the whole circuit just so I could have a pit lane to call my very own?

As for it being sold to anyone else, can you really imagine Edwina allowing it to be turned into a housing estate? There was probably even a clause in her will about THAT!

Seriously, I think this is great news for Mallory Park and I'm sure that BARC will manage the operational side of things extremely well and keep it all running in exactly the way the Overend family would want.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1199355)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I agree with you Sheila. Given the committment to motorsport from Dale and Dennis I find it hard to believe this move is anything other than positive for Mallory Park.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 21:55 (Ref:1199368)   #14
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You're right there Stephen, although I understand that there are no immediate plans for any more works to be done.

I did e-mail Dennis earlier today to wish the club well in this venture and gave him my wish list - one way return road into the paddock to alleviate the problems getting cars back out of the pit lane, through the assembly area and down the road in front of race control while cars are trying to get in the same way. Also, I'd like to see better facilities in the pit lane - proper exit lights, office (or at least somewhere secure to store kit other than the boot of the car), loos, shower, microwave, fridge ...

Oh excuse me a minute - time for my medication!
Old 12 Jan 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1199385)   #15
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does this mean that BARC Midlands centre will become more active in RACING?
Old 12 Jan 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1199408)   #16
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Dunno! If and when I find out I'll let you know. It would be nice though wouldn't it?
Old 13 Jan 2005, 08:11 (Ref:1199607)   #17
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BARC buy Mallory lease

This week Mallory Park have announced that BARC have taken over the lease of the circuit. All existing contracts with clubs will remain in place for 2005. At present there are no plans for major changes.

I look forward to seeing all the Mallory regulars and any newcomers throughout the season.

First car meeting 750mc 13th March.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1199650)   #18
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Isn't it wonderful that BARC love me so much they bought the whole circuit just so I could have a pit lane to call my very own?

As for it being sold to anyone else, can you really imagine Edwina allowing it to be turned into a housing estate?
A minor point but, again, the ownership of the circuit has not changed at all.

It will be nice to see BARC Mildands run some more races though...

Last edited by JohnMiller; 13 Jan 2005 at 09:00.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 09:07 (Ref:1199656)   #19
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The one thing that would improve Mallory would be to alternate wednesdays between Bikes and cars for testing so that each type had a whole day - otherwise it can be a very long trip for a morning practise session which is often disrupted by crashes.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 09:19 (Ref:1199664)   #20
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart
The one thing that would improve Mallory would be to alternate wednesdays between Bikes and cars for testing so that each type had a whole day - otherwise it can be a very long trip for a morning practise session which is often disrupted by crashes.
Full agreement!
Old 13 Jan 2005, 09:29 (Ref:1199671)   #21
Alan Crook
Veteran

Date for 750mc at Mallory should read 20th March
Sorry for any confusion.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 10:32 (Ref:1199701)   #22
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See thread on Trackside forum
Old 13 Jan 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1199727)   #23
Alan Crook
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Green
See thread on Trackside forum
Yes had spotted the other thread but thought it was worth having on here as well.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1199952)   #24
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart

Very good idea.
For many 3+ hours drive for what ends up to be very little track time due to red flags puts many off.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1200170)   #25
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell

or even an occasional Sprint at Mallory would go down well.....