Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Oct 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1429878)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
SRO, whats their role?

After reading yet again about a pathetically attended SRO organised race (F3/GT Silverstone), can someone please tell me what their role is with F3/GT and the LMES.

Is it only me who believe they only care about the, sinking fast, FIA GT series?

Maybe the ACO should choose to work with another party for the LMES?
Old 10 Oct 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1429993)   #2
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes they should
EERC should make it for me, they know howto "fight" against SRO
First british 24h race after many years, ....
Old 11 Oct 2005, 00:19 (Ref:1430283)   #3
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80
Are you serious?
Old 11 Oct 2005, 05:57 (Ref:1430406)   #4
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps you ought to look more towards the poor attitude of the general public to any forms of racing other than F1 and some other oddities when considering event attendances, rather than towards the SRO who, in my opinion, have done more good than bad in their motorsport dealings and are being scapegoated in some quarters..

Britcar 24hrs was not exactly a roaring success nor a "must see", as far as I can tell.. How many "fans" turned up for that one..?

FIA GT is a pretty well supported and competetive race series, suffering from poor GT3 entires as all series with Porsche Werks cars are..

LMES can only be described as a success..

British GT, don't know enough about it to be certain, but grids do look better now than they did a few years back, pre SRO..

I know that there are some who have little or no regard for SRO. All I know is that SR has tried to make things work.. F3 is plain boring at times and Brit GT does not really have the cachet of some of the other British series (it seems, for instance, that however bad BTCC gets it still draws the crowd that is there to be drawn, which GT never has, to be honest..).. It seems sometines that there are more team and media passes about at those meetings than ticket buying punters..

Just my tuppeth..
Old 11 Oct 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1430468)   #5
Svierge
Racer

Finland
Bucks/UK
Svierge has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Yes they should
I hope that was a joke.

Though I'm sure both spectators enjoyed the 24 hours at Silverstone...
Old 11 Oct 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1430695)   #6
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
panoz.lmp1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that SR and the SRO make more a godd than a bad job. They know what happend with too much factory involvement. But they also know that the GTs need the factorys and he knows that the GTs need the private teams. So it´s a difficault process to manage these two needed factors.

I´m sure that all the people who want to "fight" against the SRO doesn´t get ONE race organized because after the first few minutes reality strike back,

That doens´t mean that the SRO makes everything 100% right in my opinion. But im more than 90% sure that all the people at SRO knows to handle all the diffficault factors.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1430791)   #7
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed there, SRO ain't without mistakes, we saw that in the BGT/Avon matter, but I'd say in most of the cases they're doing a good job.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1430806)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree, SRO generally speaking do a good job. The LMES is thriving, FIA GT is doing rather well at the moment too and so IMO is the British GT championship. With the current economic climate being what it is SRO are really stuck between a rock and a hard place and I personally feel that they are doing the best job that can be done.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1430934)   #9
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Quote:
I agree, SRO generally speaking do a good job
Yes,
- PLM and LMES on one weekend in first LMES calendar release
- FIA Rally WM and FIA GT on one weekend in germany
- LMES and FIA GT in one week in germany
- High costs in new GT3 because of truck color and team clothes
- FIA GT / WTCC split

i love them too
Old 11 Oct 2005, 17:44 (Ref:1430946)   #10
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Yes,
- FIA GT / WTCC split

i love them too
- Did we have a date clash between PLM and an LMES race this year?
- How much rally spectators would come to the LMES?
- What is the problem to hve FIA-GT and LMES attwo following weekends?
- Who said the stupid argument that the GT3 is expensive in case of the truck and team clothes doen´t understand the concept.
- The FIA-GT/WTCC split is the ONLY the real step at the current situation. If they don´t do that we have a 10 FIA-GT Minutes race between the two WTCC races in 2007

The SRO improves a dead series from 1999 to a high class racing series in 2005. That a longer period than most of the other european Top racing series. Doen´t count that?

The SRO is doing a well balanced (but very difficault) job between the manufactures and the private teams.

Don´t blame only the SRO. Tell us your "way" for the FIA-GT
Old 11 Oct 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1430956)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Can you explain this?
Old 11 Oct 2005, 17:55 (Ref:1430958)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OK then, heres my own PERSONAL opinion.

IMO, SRO are doing a terrible job.

SRO's insistence to accept the Maserati MC12 into the FIA GT fold not only drove a bus through the homologation rules and regs, it immediately upped budgets to unsustainable levels for many of the smaller teams, leaving the series reliant on a hardcore of well funded privateers.

At a stroke the 550, 575 and Lamborghini were rendered uncompetitive, all very exepnsive and relatively new GT1 cars, not 10 year old Vipers!

Any hopes SRO had for a World GT Championship are now left teetering on whether GM will make multipe C6.Rs available to customers, which seems unlikely at best.

Moving FIA GT away from its endurance routes, and further afield, has driven away many of its privateers and almost all of the GT2 field.

Meanwhile, SRO took over a well established British GT series, managed to lose the 'crown jewells' of Brands and Outlon, upset competitors with the Avon deal, screw around with a well established weekend timetable, fail to capatilise on a desperatly, desperatly poor BTCC, and lose entrants to Britcar.

Should we give the SRO credit for the 'relative' success of the LMES, why?

It was the ACO's concept and ANYBODY who knew anything about the sport knew full well the 1000k format and ACO regs would, at the very least, be a moderate success.

Lets not forget, before the LMES launched, SR predicted there was no demand for prototypes amongst manufactuers and teams, other than Audi, so they should be phased out or pulled back to GT1 speeds!

As for the promotion of the LMES races, well, we all no this has been **** poor up until now.

All I ask is that SRO learn from their past mistakes, the reintorduction of MSV circuits into the British GT calender is an obvious step in the right direction.

I'm sick of hearing excuses, Palmer/MSV, A1GP (yes I know they have lots of money backing them), have all shown where theres a will, theres a way.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 17:59 (Ref:1430965)   #13
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Quote:
Did we have a date clash between PLM and an LMES race this year?
No, but looks very profesional to release that calender

Quote:
How much rally spectators would come to the LMES?
If you are only a racefan, i think thats possible. Watch about how many people are visiting rally

Quote:
What is the problem to hve FIA-GT and LMES attwo following weekends?
Well, some people have to work sometimes, have family, and so one

Quote:
Who said the stupid argument that the GT3 is expensive in case of the truck and team clothes doen´t understand the concept.
why did they wrote it into the concept? i know some drivers who had been waiting for GT3 and now there are planing without GT3 because of this concept
Quote:
High costs in new GT3 because of truck color and team clothes

Can you explain this?
Its written in the concept file on SRO homepage
Old 11 Oct 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1430988)   #14
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's no secret that British GT has been losing teams during 2005 too - LNT, Master Motorsports and Xero provided much-needed variation from the Ferrari/Porsche parade. Didn't LNT complain they were being messed around too much by the organisers? (off topic, but that does make me wonder why Autosport reported LNT trying to enter a Panoz in BGT next year...?)

We had 19 runners in the last FIA GT race - yes, for differing reasons, but thriving series don't have problems with lack of entries. As much as I like FIA GT, I fear it reached a peak from the 2004 season to the first half of this year, and despite any new models and professional teams coming through I still think SRO are still aiming for goals which are simply too high, with not nearly enough support.

I agree with Jag - LMES is fantastic, but it's an ACO series in reality, isn't it?

David L - I will agree quite a bit of the general public doesn't cater for much other than F1. I can never understand why so many men love their supercars, but they'd never go and see them in their ultimate form, in race trim!

"British GT, don't know enough about it to be certain, but grids do look better now than they did a few years back, pre SRO.."
- personally, I much preferred the look of the series when it was in the powertour package, and had (now-named) GT1 cars. Oh man I miss those days!
Old 11 Oct 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1431023)   #15
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
why did they wrote it into the concept? i know some drivers who had been waiting for GT3 and now there are planing without GT3 because of this concept
Then these drivers doenst understand the concept. As an driver you have nothing to dowith the truck or the clothings. That part of the teams (with a little support of the manufacvurers like AM odr Ferrari or Maserati) which offer a seat like in the 360 challenge or Trofeo.

But i miss you points to make it better. How qill you get the money if you don´t accept manufacturers. And the MC12 brings a lot of publicity to the series and the GT Bureau does a good job to equal most of the cars. But what will you change?

I´ve problem when people only saying "Its bad. All is wrong" and have no own (realistic) ideas ...
Old 11 Oct 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1431041)   #16
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Quote:
Then these drivers doenst understand the concept. As an driver you have nothing to dowith the truck or the clothings. That part of the teams (with a little support of the manufacvurers like AM odr Ferrari or Maserati) which offer a seat like in the 360 challenge or Trofeo.
Yes, and who pays everything? SRO? Not realy. Of course they will tell the drive that everything is expensive and he has to pay more for a weekend.
Or do you think that they will pay a gentlemendriver for racing that cars.

Quote:
I´ve problem when people only saying "Its bad. All is wrong" and have no own (realistic) ideas ...
The idea is there, never publish stuff like that.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1431044)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz.lmp1
But i miss you points to make it better. How will you get the money if you don´t accept manufacturers. And the MC12 brings a lot of publicity to the series and the GT Bureau does a good job to equal most of the cars. But what will you change?

Maserati have entered, but we're losing two Ferrari models and Lamborghini.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 19:34 (Ref:1431069)   #18
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Maserati have entered, but we're losing two Ferrari models and Lamborghini.
The Ferrari models were going to die out some time soon anyway, as soon as the DBR9 and C6R arrive that is. The MC12 really didnt have that big of a impact on that IMO, the 550's and 575's are probably a little bit past their best performance wise, even if Prodrive kept with the 550 I doubt even they could find much more in the way of performance from the cars.

Every car has a life span, the 550 started sportscar racing in 2000, it will likely end International sportscar racing in 2006/2007 IMO. Much better than most models manage I think you will agree.

There are new cars on the sportscar racing scene now, the DBR9 and the C6R. Cars like the Saleen and 550/575 have almost reached the end of their competitve life's, the fact the MC12 happens to be around at the right doesent mean it should be blamed for the demise of the 550/575. Yes the MC12 is contraversial - but as has been mentioned before, it brings a lot of publicity to the series. Good publicity, and bad.

As for losing the Lamborghini's dissapearing, face it the project never even really got off the ground. All because of the MC12? Maybe in part, and I dont suppose the fact Prodrive are coming with DBR9's and Corvette are coming with the C6R's had anything to do with it at all did it?

SRO all in all do a good job promoting the series and ensuring the series are sucessful that they run. The FIA GT championship is a expensive series to run in yes, and the grids are small compared to say the LMES. Compare them though to the F1 and Moto GP grids, they are round about the same size. The grid isnt much smaller than that of the ALMS either, a 4 class series.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1431099)   #19
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Quote:
Yes,
- FIA GT / WTCC split

i love them too
Sarcasm aside, I think you will find that not all is what it may seem with the above..

PLM.. Let's be honest, how many Euro teams can be bothered going to the ALMS, and how much will the clash really impact..

FIA rally and GT, are the fan bases and locations so similar that one will impact on the other..?

LMES and GT on following weekends.. It will save transport costs for many teams.. I'd have thought that this was a good idea..

Lets be honest, if you cannot kit out a team and a truck in team colours then you ought not be in the show..

GT/WTCC split.. If somebody holds a gun to your head, what do you do..?
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1431102)   #20
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Yes, and who pays everything? SRO? Not realy. Of course they will tell the drive that everything is expensive and he has to pay more for a weekend.
Or do you think that they will pay a gentlemendriver for racing that cars.
No, but currently no prizec are available for the seats so i can´t understand the people who are saying the series is to expencise in case of CLOTHINGS? The 360 challenge and Troefo drivers also have their own clothings and the series are "cheap".
Quote:
The idea is there, never publish stuff like that.
What will you do? Currently you also saying "No. Bad schedule. Bad cars. Too expensive." But what is the righht way in your opinion to get the balance between the needed manufactures and the also needed privateers?

Motorsport is a very good way tu burn money only to see cars driving in a circle. And the GT cars and the LMP are not the F1, DTM or WTCC with full works backing. So we can be happy to have an organisation (not without mistakes) like the SRO who build a series which is going into the 10th season without a huge amount of works money like in the series i named before.

So if you disagree with this work of the SRO please told me your ideas to make it better.

SRO/LMES: I´m not sure whether their media works is so bad like it seems. They have a lot of internet magazines a t the races. So all the interested people can get their informations - without a lot of money needed for the organisation like a TV coverage costs.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1431111)   #21
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
OK then, heres my own PERSONAL opinion.
SNIP
Picking up on a few of your points..

Accepting the MC12 into FIA GT was in accordance with FIA GT regs and performance is equalised.. The championship has been closely fought.

The 550 has won races this year.. 575 and Lambo were already crud before the MC12 arrived to fight the 550 and the Corvette.. Saleens are on their last legs..

I disagree with your assessment of the decline in GT3.. Porsche factory efforts discourage private entries in the class.. I’m not blaming Porsche, by the way, just saying how it is..

BTCC, like it or not, is always the apple of the British racing public’s eye.. fact.. The Brands and Oulton rounds are back on for next season..

I, personally, have said nothing about LMES/SRO.. If there is a demand for prototypes, where are they all? There are 4 competitive cars in LMES..

Who’s been giving excuses..?
Old 11 Oct 2005, 21:12 (Ref:1431181)   #22
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A demand for cars doesn't always mean they'll be instantly competitive (I'm happy with such large grids in LMES) - remember we're going through rule changes, so the demand will be for the new cars when they arrive.

The Lambo - given a little money that car can still be competitive. But again, problem in FIA GT - money! as in there's too much of it required to be competitive for a full year.

Isn't it going to be the case in GT2 in 2006 that works teams are banned in FIA GT? Could possibly be a step in the right direction by SRO, but do hope it doesn't discourage Porsche to go away from that class completely...
Old 11 Oct 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1431230)   #23
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L
Picking up on a few of your points..

Accepting the MC12 into FIA GT was in accordance with FIA GT regs and performance is equalised.. The championship has been closely fought.

The 550 has won races this year.. 575 and Lambo were already crud before the MC12 arrived to fight the 550 and the Corvette.. Saleens are on their last legs..

I disagree with your assessment of the decline in GT3.. Porsche factory efforts discourage private entries in the class.. I’m not blaming Porsche, by the way, just saying how it is..

BTCC, like it or not, is always the apple of the British racing public’s eye.. fact.. The Brands and Oulton rounds are back on for next season..

I, personally, have said nothing about LMES/SRO.. If there is a demand for prototypes, where are they all? There are 4 competitive cars in LMES..

Who’s been giving excuses..?
Where are they all, there are 20+ LMPs at each round. 90% of the LMP2s have a shot at victory, the LMP1s have been hobbled this year due to the restrictions but that will change in 2006.

I find it hard to have faith in someone who so misjudged the direction of the sport 12-18 months ago.

It was plainly obvious to me that the GT1 boom had no foundations under it, a bunch of half hearted customer cars waiting to be slaughtered by the factory backed efforts.

The scene was set-up perfectly for GT1s to go bust and the void filled with more cost effective privateer LMPs and factory efforts.

The 575 and Lambo may have been 'crud' from the off, but teams running them would have had hopes to be competitive in time, both have shown flashes of brilliance. Against an MC12 that is never going to happen.

OK, the Aston is an option, but the C6.R isn't, supply is very limited.

Thats assuming you can afford these $1m+ cars.

So were are the grids coming from?

'Who’s been giving excuses?'

This is aimed at both SRO and other race promoters who constantly say the public are uninterested in anything other than F1 and maybe BTCC.

Castle Combe has no problems bringing in the fans for the big, and not so big meetings.

Likewise Palmer is a breath of fresh air, someone who's not prepared to sit back, and continue to serve up the complete and utter crap that race going fans are EXPECTED to be gratefull for.

I used to go to many race meetings each year, but not anymore, to be frank most are utter crap. I often feel embarassed when I take a non race fan friend to a meeting as the facilties and entertainment on offer are often miserable.

I really hope the renovated Donington, and in time Snetterton, take into account the needs of the punters and shame the likes of Silverstone into improvements its facilities and ATTITUDE.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 02:34 (Ref:1431426)   #24
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I really hope the renovated Donington, and in time Snetterton, take into account the needs of the punters and shame the likes of Silverstone into improvements its facilities and ATTITUDE.
We may disagree on some things, and, hey, that's the way it goes isn't it.. but that we do agree on.. I only have to go to Silverstone once a year or so and I detest the place. It's souless and mechanical.. Most uninspiring..

It's the plcae, not the people, though.. In fact, the people who run the media centre there are great.. Very helpful..

Hopefully we'll not be there next year with a rejuvinated Donington on the cards..
Old 12 Oct 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1431682)   #25
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
JAG - Mike Hazemans has stated in Autosport a few weeks ago that the GPLK team have placed orders for 2 Corvette C6R's. The C6R will be available to customers.