Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 8 Mar 2004, 00:15 (Ref:897590)   #26
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I voted Alonso. Not only did he get a sound 3rd place in a car which many weren't expecting to beat the 'big guns', the best persom to compare to is your teammate.

He had the upper hand Trulli without a doubt.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 07:58 (Ref:897746)   #27
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pole, fastest lap, lead all race and win: had MS do anything more to be the driver of the race? What precisely?
Old 8 Mar 2004, 08:57 (Ref:897800)   #28
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Pole, fastest lap, lead all race and win: had MS do anything more to be the driver of the race? What precisely?
Do all that in something other than a Ferrari.

The Ferrari was clearly in a different league to the other cars, the two drivers didn't even have to try. In those cars if they hadn't been first and second it would have been because of a mistake or mechanical failure. It didn't take brilliant driving to win in that Ferrari, it would have taken appalling driving to lose.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 09:26 (Ref:897832)   #29
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
M.SCHUMACHER by miles,hes just way to good for the rest of them.I thought Massa actually went quite well,he harassed the McLarens for a good part of the race and although he was slighty agricultural with his driving,pretty good effort for a first up drive.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 10:09 (Ref:897865)   #30
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
Do all that in something other than a Ferrari.

The Ferrari was clearly in a different league to the other cars, the two drivers didn't even have to try. In those cars if they hadn't been first and second it would have been because of a mistake or mechanical failure. It didn't take brilliant driving to win in that Ferrari,.
Thus, according to you (and others who agree) MS will never be the driver of the race, because of this orrendous crime..
Old 8 Mar 2004, 10:11 (Ref:897868)   #31
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
MS somewhat reminds me of that other super-lucky driver who won lotta reces and poles only thanks to driving a supercar, mmhhh... methinks his name was Ayrton Senna...
Old 8 Mar 2004, 10:55 (Ref:897897)   #32
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very close indeed. Race performance was Alonso, just, but overall weekend performance was definitely Michael.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 11:04 (Ref:897909)   #33
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It had to be Schumacher really didn't it. Totally flawless.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 11:05 (Ref:897913)   #34
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Thus, according to you (and others who agree) MS will never be the driver of the race, because of this orrendous crime..
Correct.

Winning in that car was no great achievement. True he didn't make any mistakes but not making a mistake isn't good enough to be driver of the race.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 11:31 (Ref:897931)   #35
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Hmm great logic that - so for my own curiousity - what could he (or anyone else for that matter) do? Or are you telling my driver of the race is 'car dependent'?

"He was faultless, and thats not good enough".

For me, I could have given it to Michael or Alonso, and edged it to Alonso for the great move on Monty at the start, and against MS for not lapping the Williams and rubbing it in.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 11:39 (Ref:897935)   #36
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Hmm great logic that - so for my own curiousity - what could he (or anyone else for that matter) do? Or are you telling my driver of the race is 'car dependent'?

"He was faultless, and thats not good enough".
The driver of the race is car dependent to some extent, the Ferraris would have finished 1-2 with just about any 2 drivers in them, the car was that much better than the others this weekend there really was no contest - Ferrari were without doubt the team of the race (they provided the best car to their drivers).

The best driver of the weekend would have to be one who worked for their race result, put a couple of moves on people and actually 'raced' - I don't count driving off into the distance as 'racing'. I'm not saying Schumacher didn't drive well or didn't deserve to win - I'm just saying that with the car he had it would have been difficult for him to lose and therefore it wasn't the best drive out there.

Last edited by BertMk2; 8 Mar 2004 at 11:41.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 12:59 (Ref:898014)   #37
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry but all laurels go to TGF.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 13:09 (Ref:898026)   #38
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
The driver of the race is car dependent to some extent,
We have a new leader for quote of the year, someone else can allocate it a category.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 13:55 (Ref:898075)   #39
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
What I mean is that it's easy for a driver to look good in a good car, it's more impressive to get a good result with a bad car than it is to get a good result with a great car. That's fair enough isn't it?
Old 8 Mar 2004, 14:12 (Ref:898096)   #40
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, I'll change my mind... Baumgartner was the driver of the race, look at the Minardi.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 14:45 (Ref:898111)   #41
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Ok, I'll change my mind... Baumgartner was the driver of the race, look at the Minardi.
Now you're getting the hang of it

Schumacher didn't make a mistake, Alonso didn't screw up, Button did pretty well, Trulli and Barrichello were ok (not as good as their teammates though). Webber was ok until the car broke, Coulthard did alright with a dog of a McLaren.

Any of those could have been candidates for driver of the race (although Trulli and Barichello are harder to justify as they were beaten by their teammates - the only direct comparison possible).

Of course Massa should get a mention for that lovely 360
Old 8 Mar 2004, 17:22 (Ref:898254)   #42
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso for me. Agree with Bert - Schumacher had to work harder for 8th in Hungary than he did for the win yesterday. Barrichello's brake problem eliminated any competition.

Alonso could have finished 5th and many would say he did a good job. He drove what was arguably an inferior car to the Williams and beat them handily.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 18:23 (Ref:898328)   #43
HForce
Rookie

HForce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa's HE'S BACK & he hasn't changed.

Last edited by HForce; 8 Mar 2004 at 18:23.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 22:49 (Ref:898755)   #44
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso for mine, when you look at the Ferrari's dominance of the weekend Alonso's performance to be the next best runner is outstanding & i have no doubt after watching Alonso all weekend that he will be World Champion in the coming years.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 23:50 (Ref:898806)   #45
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know, sometimes people think Michael wasn't the best driver in a race not because they dislike him but because they genuinely believe someone else was better.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 00:54 (Ref:898849)   #46
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I voted for me!

I managed to dig deep and find the internal drive to stay awake through the whole thing.

If voting for one of the jockeys who fang around on four wheeled bill-boards I would have voted for Button.

Just cause Liz hates him.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 12:34 (Ref:899337)   #47
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prof Sid Watkins for me, started at the back of the grid, completed 1 lap, retired, then fell asleep like the rest of us just passed the start/finish line.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 14:09 (Ref:899475)   #48
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a four horse race for me. Webber put that Jag up there all weekend and got better. He stuck on it in the race, Jag's weakpoint last year, and the main drawback was the fact his car let him down and we couldn't see how long he was able to keep it up.

Bruni was up by 3 or 4 positions after lap one, was a rookie to the track at weekend start and didn't relinquish that track position easily to Klein, in a far superior car.

Alonso: Well, yeah. Brilliant on raceday, pole, friday and saturday good too. But, even so...

Michael: I know he had the best car. But did he EVER not look like he was going to monster everyone from friday morning? Barri got ahead only breifly and MS would shut him out at every turn. Then raceday, and he was GONE. Lap 1, and Michael was pulling away from Barri, who was leaping away from the rest. Sorry, complete masterclass from Schu. He beat his fairly decent teammate, neither of which having problems to my knowledge, by a whopping amount.

Trulli had aero (diffuser) damage, so we won't know till Malaysia how quick the Renault is. But we know Schu was in absolute control from friday morning. Machine.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 17:56 (Ref:899699)   #49
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
These Baumgartner votes.......sympathetic?
Old 9 Mar 2004, 21:21 (Ref:899974)   #50
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted Alonso,a future champion