Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Apr 2018, 06:12 (Ref:3814582)   #101
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Look at Bahrain 2014 with Lewis....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8XO-PZ6VR8

If I'm at Mercedes, Id be quite dissapointed. Bottas is paid to put the final move on Vettel...Hamilton would have pulled it off without doubt.
But it's all about 'at the time' isn't it?

No-one can truly say one driver could definitely do this or that.

Bottas needed a good finish more than risking not finishing at all. We know how robust (rash even?) Vettel can be in wheel to wheel stuff and that almost certainly would have been considered by Bottas.

I think we can be more sure of Vettel slamming the door shut on anyone trying to do him on the last lap, than we can be about a Lewis, Max or Alonso etc definitely getting past him!
Old 10 Apr 2018, 11:42 (Ref:3814637)   #102
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post

If I'm at Mercedes, Id be quite dissapointed. Bottas is paid to put the final move on Vettel...Hamilton would have pulled it off without doubt.
You mean like Hamilton did in Melbourne - when he was much closer for many more laps and the tyre situation was better for him?
Old 10 Apr 2018, 12:11 (Ref:3814642)   #103
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Bottas was quicker than Hamilton most the weekend, so the "if it was Hamilton" argument does not really work.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3814679)   #104
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
To be fair to LH, I don't think he was particularly struggling with hitting his lap times, so much as not being sure what he was being asked to do....And he was pretty consistently quicker than Bottas in the latter stages.....
true true and i guess there was some sort of radio problem going on as well.

but as E.B. says, LH did have some other advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
He was on much newer rubber, having used Soft compound in Q2 (ie the tyres he had to start on,) whereas others (SV and VB) started on (and had used in Q2) SuperSoft thus had to change earlier.
i would add running in clean air to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
You mean like Hamilton did in Melbourne - when he was much closer for many more laps and the tyre situation was better for him?
right!

also an example of Merc limiting his engine mode. i recall the pit telling LH not to change engine modes with LH responding that he was going to go for it? (its hard to gauge the timing though as the radio broadcasts are often delayed so i could be wrong here).

but ultimately he didnt catch up, so i have to assume he listened to the pits and turned down his engine. basically he just held back and hope SV would make a mistake...same as Bottas did in Bahrain.

not really making a point of F1 conserving too much of this or that, but more so a point about two races in a row where Merc have completely got their tactics wrong.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3814702)   #105
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
not really making a point of F1 conserving too much of this or that, but more so a point about two races in a row where Merc have completely got their tactics wrong.
With Ferrari getting their tactics completely right in the same two races. It DOES highlight the impact of the current regulations on the actual racing however - imagine if there was less need to "turn down the engine" to meet regulations on consumption and longevity - we could be seeing a completely different spectacle.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 19:30 (Ref:3814722)   #106
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
It DOES highlight the impact of the current regulations on the actual racing however - imagine if there was less need to "turn down the engine" to meet regulations on consumption and longevity - we could be seeing a completely different spectacle.
so impactful.

certainly went into the season expecting the worst from this 3 unit rule but to be honest not so sure what to think now.

part of me still hates it and thinks we could have seen some better battles/more overtakes if it wasnt there.

on the other hand i really like the outcomes of the first two races and kind of happy to see Merc kind of stuffing it up.

im for sure going to be flip floppin on engines all season.
Old 13 Apr 2018, 10:15 (Ref:3815174)   #107
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
the hybrid system suddenly kicked in giving him 150 BHP more when he didn't expect it
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
it was a software error, these things happen, just like in FP1 the engine failed because a wire wasn't connected propperly to the engine, at Renault these things happen
Quote:

Red Bull boss Christian Horner has admitted there was no car or engine issue when Max Verstappen crashed in qualifying for last weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix.

After the Q1 accident Verstappen complained of a 150bhp power surge, prompting cynical responses from some of his F1 rivals.

Although some observers suggested there may have been a technical problem - possibly a sticking throttle - Horner insisted there were no mechanical issues, and the accident was actually triggered by Verstappen's foot jumping on the throttle pedal as he ran over the kerbs.

"It wasn't a stuck throttle," Horner told Autosport. "I think when he got high on the kerb there was an oscillation on the foot. It was fairly obvious.

"The gearshift around there has always been a bit lumpy, and I think it was a combination of that, pushing flat out, up on the kerb, oscillation with the foot.

"Put a lot of stuff together, that's what happens. There's nothing to read into it."

Renault Sport boss Cyril Abiteboul confirmed the French manufacturer had found nothing wrong in its investigations.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-bahrain-crash