Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Feb 2018, 06:13 (Ref:3799471)   #1
F1 Livery Histories
Rookie

Australia
F1 Livery Histories should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1 Livery Histories should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 Livery Histories

Hi everyone,

I'd like to share with you a youtube channel I launched last month called "F1 Livery Histories", which catalogues the different paint jobs, colour schemes & sponsors adopted by different Formula One teams over the years. For anyone who likes having a nostalgia rush, I hope you will enjoy these short documentaries I have been producing lately :-)

The first video in the series is on the very team that started it all, Colin Chapman's original Team Lotus.

F1 Livery Histories: LOTUS

Hope you enjoy!
Old 8 Feb 2018, 17:25 (Ref:3799627)   #2
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Err. shouldn't your picture show a 1968 Lotus 49 in Gold Leaf livery ?
Old 8 Feb 2018, 22:15 (Ref:3799704)   #3
F1 Livery Histories
Rookie

Australia
F1 Livery Histories should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1 Livery Histories should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Err. shouldn't your picture show a 1968 Lotus 49 in Gold Leaf livery ?
Good call. The Gold Leaf livery was indeed the first ever sponsor's livery & very significant in F1 history. However, I don't think makes all that much difference.

Thanks for your feedback, hope you enjoyed the short film :-)
Old 9 Feb 2018, 00:08 (Ref:3799730)   #4
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
This was actually the first sponsorship livery.

Rhodesian John Love's very pretty Team Gunston Brabham Repco with Gunston cigarette sponsorship at the 1968 South African Grand Prix.

Jim Clark won the race, his last GP, and we all know what that looked like.

Chapman just copied a good idea!

Last edited by wnut; 9 Feb 2018 at 00:17. Reason: error correction
Old 9 Feb 2018, 00:44 (Ref:3799734)   #5
F1 Livery Histories
Rookie

Australia
Correct!

IIRC Lotus first showed up with their Gold Leaf livery at the Spanish GP. Full credit deserves to go to Love's team
Old 12 Feb 2018, 17:36 (Ref:3800748)   #6
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've always been interested in liveries as they can do so much for a car, or not, as the case may be. So thanks for an interesting thread and for the link to your YouTube channel.

I just watched the Lotus episode and a couple of things stood out. During the section on the Lotus '79, it was interspersed with footage of a Lotus '91 at Goodwood. As for the Lotus '92, it raced in the 1983 season not the 1982 season. Otherwise very informative.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 22:37 (Ref:3801389)   #7
F1 Livery Histories
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I've always been interested in liveries as they can do so much for a car, or not, as the case may be. So thanks for an interesting thread and for the link to your YouTube channel.

I just watched the Lotus episode and a couple of things stood out. During the section on the Lotus '79, it was interspersed with footage of a Lotus '91 at Goodwood. As for the Lotus '92, it raced in the 1983 season not the 1982 season. Otherwise very informative.
Thanks mate! Glad to hear you found the video informative, albeit with a couple of flaws here & there. Along with those two points you mentioned, I also referred to Champion as a brake pad supplier, rather than a spark plug manufacturer, so I'll be sure to iron out such mistakes for future videos.

I hope you'll keep following the video series as it unfolds :-)
Old 14 Feb 2018, 22:41 (Ref:3801390)   #8
F1 Livery Histories
Rookie

Australia
Allow me to post the second video in the series, this time on the colourful & vibrant Benetton F1 team.

Link: F1 Livery Histories: BENETTON
Old 15 Feb 2018, 05:18 (Ref:3801432)   #9
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I always thought the first F1 sponsorship was the Vanwall Thinwall Special's of the 1950's.

Old 13 Apr 2018, 16:12 (Ref:3815235)   #10
F1 Livery Histories
Rookie

Australia
Hey everyone, just thought I'd share with you the most recent instalments to the series for anyone who feels like kicking back and reliving those retro liveries.

F1: Livery Histories: TYRRELL

F1: Livery Histories: STEWART

F1: Livery Histories: WILLIAMS

F1: Livery Histories: ARROWS

Peace!
Old 15 Apr 2018, 20:18 (Ref:3815822)   #11
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Contact me dear friend of liveries, could tell some things during the Quilmes sponsorship in F1. Not only with Mazzacane at Minardi, but also in late 1940s, when the F1 stars came to Palermo woods and streets.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 14:19 (Ref:3816016)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Always thought the Stewart F1 livery was very smart and well done. But then, JYS has a very astute commercial brain.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 14:48 (Ref:3816018)   #13
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Always thought the Stewart F1 livery was very smart and well done. But then, JYS has a very astute commercial brain.
Indeed, and more remarkable in view of his severe dyslexia which leads to a poor ability to read and write.
Old 2 May 2018, 05:13 (Ref:3818798)   #14
F1 Livery Histories
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Arguably one if the neatest & tidiest looking team liveries to ever grace the track!
Old 26 May 2018, 07:04 (Ref:3824698)   #15
F1 Livery Histories
Rookie

Australia
Hey everyone. Back again with the most recently produced videos. This time I cover Bernie's team & those little yellow teapots.

F1 Livery Histories: BRABHAM

F1 Livery Histories: RENAULT
Old 27 May 2018, 05:36 (Ref:3824859)   #16
F1 Livery Histories
Rookie

Australia
Bernie's team & those little yellow teapots.

F1 Livery Histories: BRABHAM

F1 Livery Histories: RENAULT
Old 31 May 2018, 07:48 (Ref:3825812)   #17
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Rhodesian John Love's very pretty Team Gunston Brabham Repco with Gunston cigarette sponsorship at the 1968 South African Grand Prix.

Wasn't Yeoman Credit the first known sponsor???
Old 31 May 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3825845)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Wasn't Yeoman Credit the first known sponsor???
I found this on Wikipedia about Yeoman Credit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeoman_Credit_Racing
Old 1 Jun 2018, 07:02 (Ref:3825973)   #19
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think advertising brands on the car was banned before 1968-hence team name allowed-Thinwall spl,Vanwall,Yeoman Credit,Bowmaker-Yeoman;UDT-Laystall?
Old 18 Jun 2018, 12:46 (Ref:3831627)   #20
F1 Livery Histories
Rookie

Australia
Latest vid of the series. F1 needs an Irish team again.

F1 Livery Histories: JORDAN
Old 20 Jun 2018, 13:34 (Ref:3832094)   #21
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

I was a boy at the time and saw this car race many times. Love was my first racing hero.
Old 28 Jul 2018, 10:25 (Ref:3839261)   #22
F1 Livery Histories
Rookie

Australia
Hi everyone. Couple more videos have been created in the F1 Livery Histories series. This time we've got an automotive giant in Toyota & everyone's favourite underdog team, Minardi. Hope you enjoy :-)

F1 Livery Histories: TOYOTA

F1 Livery Histories: MINARDI
Old 1 Aug 2018, 03:14 (Ref:3840531)   #23
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Then you must know the story between Minardi and the minor formula series & Indycar = Their links with Sighinolfi et al and also Stoddy's adventures at the States.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 12:16 (Ref:3840601)   #24
F1 Livery Histories
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Then you must know the story between Minardi and the minor formula series & Indycar = Their links with Sighinolfi et al and also Stoddy's adventures at the States.
I actually don't know very much about Indycar at all tbh. Were there any notable drivers that Minardi picked up through Indycar?
Old 3 Aug 2018, 09:35 (Ref:3841039)   #25
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I guess the real truth is that John Love and Gunston just copied Indycar and their sponsorship liveries.