Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 18 Nov 2007, 08:32 (Ref:2069976)   #1
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR "Garage Sale"

I was in the US for a couple of days this week with work & saw an article in the "USA Today" paper about the sale of up to 300 NASCAR cars by various teams due to the arrival of the "Car of Tomorrow" in NASCAR. Some will go to the the ARCA series (not allowed in Busch, apparently....wheelbase too long), some are going to museums & some are going to US club racing but many will be scrapped. They are being sold off at prices between $15k & $30k each. Surely the Rockingham folks should look in to this as a means of getting lots of cheap cars in to the UK to run on their track. And the road course cars might also be a cheap & spectacular addition to UK motorport (Britcar, maybe??).
Old 18 Nov 2007, 09:13 (Ref:2069995)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would have thought (looking at the NASCAR spec one on my garage) that at around 3400lbs and with 12 inch brake rotors they would be just too heavy to be competitive in road racing over here, Rockingham would probably be too political as they may put on a better show than ASCAR so cannot see that happening, its what they should have done at Rockingham in the first place IMO.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 17:52 (Ref:2071033)   #3
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of them will end up going to ARCA (as you say) and lower division teams who will still run Cup spec cars. Busch/Nationwide cars run shorter wheelbase, and different motors.

There's not much on a cup car that is useful to even an ASCAR owner - except the Jerico gearbox, and if they run a Winters Sprint rear end. Oh yes, and the fuel tank.

IIRC there was talk that the old cup spec cars would be used in the Nationwide series, and the old Busch spec cars would "disappear somewhere"

Obviously, that's not the case then.

And Rockingham is operated purely as a circuit these days, they have no interest in running their own championships what so ever.

Rob.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 19:36 (Ref:2071095)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
They are being sold off at prices between $15k & $30k each.
I was offered a '07 Busch car recently for $40k so the COY's for $15k - $30k does stand up - I'm amazed that with the exchange rate the way it is a lot of Brits aint looking at them
Old 19 Nov 2007, 20:29 (Ref:2071144)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
But the point is what do you do with them over here SS they are so damned heavy. Its the problem I have with the IROC project in the garage, it would be better if it was the pre-76/77 model that was based on a road shell not a fabricated tubular space frame like mine, if it was one of the road car based ones it would have places to race as it is all mine could race in would be in a specials catagoury in say Northern Saloons or something and its way to heavy for that.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 22:44 (Ref:2072057)   #6
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But a cup car, road course spec, with 860+(US)bhp 9200rpm SB2.2 Chevy... come on Al, you can't say you're tempted.....
Old 20 Nov 2007, 22:48 (Ref:2072061)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yeah I bet they would nick all the good bits before they auction it though.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 18:47 (Ref:2076712)   #8
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was in the States at the same time and saw the articles in the press and yes I too thought great, bargain, get one (not that I have the spare cash lying around) but then realised I had absolutely nowhere to race one. I spoke to a guy at Daytona who was running one of last years cars and he reckoned quite a few will go int Museums (the top star cars) whilst most others will go to the ARCA series and to people like himself who run them at historic meetings.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 21:44 (Ref:2076828)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot of them will end up as show cars in shopping malls, etc.

There is a series with HSR in the USA to run these cars as historics on road tracks and it seems to do well.

I have a few friends that work for Nascar teams and they tell me the waste is unbelievable and you would not belief the stuff they throw away. One told me of a guy that goes around as a business recycling all the junk teams throw away and that he was thinking of doing the same.
Old 7 Dec 2007, 14:31 (Ref:2083653)   #10
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
But a cup car, road course spec, with 860+(US)bhp 9200rpm SB2.2 Chevy... come on Al, you can't say you're tempted.....
SOme of us over hear are. and Moorsville is only 2 hour drive away . . .