Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jul 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3750482)   #26
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Silverstone isn't exactly a bargain for any meeting is it? Certainly not when you take into account the awful view from spectator areas.
The WEC meeting is exceptionally good value in my view. £40 odd for a three day event floats my boat.....

I've never subscribed to the view that the spectators view is wholly awful. There are plenty of places you can watch exciting cars from. Mind you, that is now the only event I attend at Silverstone.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 18:41 (Ref:3750486)   #27
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Why do we think Liberty are doing a London demo? This is a taster to see how the authorities, sponsors and fans take to London as a venue.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
that's probably the reason now lol....BE must be so happy he doesnt have to deal with this venue anymore!
Old 11 Jul 2017, 19:17 (Ref:3750497)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Why do we think Liberty are doing a London demo? This is a taster to see how the authorities, sponsors and fans take to London as a venue.

I think is it purely to promote F1.

Sent from my T800 (101) using Koolforum9
Old 11 Jul 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3750501)   #29
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
That.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 19:36 (Ref:3750504)   #30
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Sent from my T800 (101) using Koolforum9
Maybe Adam but Liberty have always said they want the British GP but not specified at Silverstone. Maybe London could get a Monaco type deal with no hosting fee and a joint venture promotion with Liberty.

It may well be at Silverstone in 2020, but I think a London GP is much more of a serious prospect with Liberty than it was with BE and CVC.

Old 11 Jul 2017, 19:41 (Ref:3750505)   #31
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
The WEC meeting is exceptionally good value in my view. £40 odd for a three day event floats my boat.....

I've never subscribed to the view that the spectators view is wholly awful. There are plenty of places you can watch exciting cars from. Mind you, that is now the only event I attend at Silverstone.
It is without a doubt the worst spectator circuit in the UK in my view and it has deteriorated more since the loss of the old Abbey and Bridge turns, at best you can only see couple of turns through a wire mesh catch fencing. Why anyone would negotiate a second mortgage to watch an F1 race there is beyond me, watching paint dry would be more exciting and considerably cheaper.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 19:48 (Ref:3750507)   #32
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Hard to argue with F1 Group's statement on the timing of the BRDC announcement: Autosport Link
Old 11 Jul 2017, 19:49 (Ref:3750508)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Maybe Adam but Liberty have always said they want the British GP but not specified at Silverstone. Maybe London could get a Monaco type deal with no hosting fee and a joint venture promotion with Liberty.

It may well be at Silverstone in 2020, but I think a London GP is much more of a serious prospect with Liberty than it was with BE and CVC.

Have they specifically said not Silverstone? Or just not mentioned it specifically? If you see what I mean.

If they are implying they think the history is important then London isn't where it is at. Threaten Brands by all means, but not a London street race. I'd taken it as implied it what Silverstone. Maybe incorrectly, but it would miss this point if they do that IMHO.

The French thing is a little different. That is more country than venue as it has moved around a lot. The realistic options didn't have great historic importance. And they didn't consider Paris.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 19:50 (Ref:3750510)   #34
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Hard to argue with F1 Group's statement on the timing of the BRDC announcement: Autosport Link
Valid point. Why rile a partner that seems to be up to working together?
Old 11 Jul 2017, 20:23 (Ref:3750520)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
It is without a doubt the worst spectator circuit in the UK in my view and it has deteriorated more since the loss of the old Abbey and Bridge turns, at best you can only see couple of turns through a wire mesh catch fencing. Why anyone would negotiate a second mortgage to watch an F1 race there is beyond me, watching paint dry would be more exciting and considerably cheaper.
Whilst I agree with the first part, the highlighted part simply isn't true. Maybe if you're locked into a spot at the GP, perhaps, but for the WEC, I have hours to wander the whole circuit, use some free grandstands etc. There just needs to be recognition that there is life outside F1. (I would love to have Bridge back though. My son works for Porsche and at the weekend they had an open day. I did a few laps on a gaming simulator they had - and it was the old Silverstone with Bridge...... )
Old 11 Jul 2017, 20:37 (Ref:3750528)   #36
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not this old Chestnut again!

Silverstone agreed a deal with the despicable old BE that was never financially viable from the off. Clearly, they feel the vibes coming from Liberty give them an opportunity to "Right a Wrong". I think that is probably the case, but the timing could have been better to say the least.Nobody likes to negotiate with a gun held to their head.

BE is to blame for everything that is evil in this World. Sure he made relatively few people incredibly wealthy but the Sport infinitely poorer.

What's his legacy to the Sport?........Virtually every great race track has gone or been butchered, tedious one make support races, an F1 Paddock that nobody but the privileged few can enter and a weekend ticket price that requires a mortgage. Good luck to any promoter daft enough to try and sell that! Oh yes...and he's got all the TV Rights covered too so no potential income via that route either.

The BRDC should have told him to p... off years ago.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 20:38 (Ref:3750529)   #37
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, this is the ultimate negotiating tactic. I don't doubt that Silverstone are open to a more viable offer to be put on the table. They are well aware of their heritage and in the post-Bernie era probably feel in a stronger position to discuss terms with the new owners.

On another note, which circuits are making a profit from the Formula 1 race?
Old 11 Jul 2017, 20:47 (Ref:3750532)   #38
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Valid point. Why rile a partner that seems to be up to working together?
That would be true if Liberty hadn't stated a few weeks ago that they wouldn't re-negotiate the terms of a valid contract, thus backing BRDC into a corner effectively forcing them to effect the termination clause.

This could have been handled far more discretely, but once the media all realised that the get-out clause existed and had to be effected before this year's event took place, then the pressure was on the BRDC to admit that they had acted.

It's all very well Liberty saying that they would have started re-negotiating after the race took place, but the BRDC had to enforce the clause in the contract to ensure that Liberty didn't go back on their word, claiming that they were going to hold the BRDC to the terms of the existing contract.

Liberty should have dealt with this matter months ago, out of the gaze of the public. They chose instead to insist that they had a valid and legally binding contract with the BRDC which they weren't prepared to re-negotiate.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 20:51 (Ref:3750535)   #39
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I don't get Liberty's position either. As mentioned before they could negotiate a contract without he break clause.
And Silverstone didn't need to use this timing either.

Hardly getting off to a good start between parties who were apparently willing to find a way forward.

Hopefully it's all a storm in a tea cup and in the end not important.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 20:57 (Ref:3750538)   #40
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've told those who will listen at the BRDC to host the British GP if it's financially viable to do so........don't if it isn't. First and foremost Silverstone Circuits Ltd is a commercial enterprise, they don't have any obligation to host the race.

If all the main Players in F1 are prepared to let the British GP drop off the calendar then that sends out a rather shocking message.

Nobody should place any blame on the BRDC if it's lost.....the F1 fraternity can make it happen if they value it enough. Time for them to put some coffers back into the sport.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 20:59 (Ref:3750541)   #41
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I agree, don't run it at a loss.

Let's hope the rest of us can keep Silverstone viable. Of course that maybe easier if they aren't losing with the GP.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 21:04 (Ref:3750542)   #42
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i dont recall Liberty stating that they wouldnt renegotiate but clearly a war of words has begun between the two groups.

motorsports article has a Liberty quote suggesting that they offered to extended the termination clause date so that this wouldnt be an issue during the GP weekend which is reasonable imo.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...clause-929434/

"We offered to extend the current deadlines in order to focus on everything that is great about Silverstone and Formula 1."

make of that what you will, but every time a contract renewal comes around the BRDC makes a lot of noise about it not being sustainable but then sign the contract anyways.

also didnt they just opt out a sweetheart deal that BE was forced to agree to because the Donington option failed to pan out?
Old 11 Jul 2017, 21:36 (Ref:3750549)   #43
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They lose a few million a year but didn't they spend about £30m on the laughable new pits and removing one of the best corners in the world?
Old 11 Jul 2017, 21:44 (Ref:3750553)   #44
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't think the old pits were useless.The problem seemed to be finding space nearby for the enormous hospitality centres that take up several multiples of the space the older coach based hospitality units needed.The same problem afflicts Brands Hatch.

I did think it was a bit disingenuous of Christian Horner to criticise the new pits when his organisation was at the forefront of the trend to require more space for their operations.How many trucks does it take to make a Grand Prix happen anyway?
Old 11 Jul 2017, 21:53 (Ref:3750557)   #45
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eh, there's about 10 times as much space in the old pits for such things as the new pits.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 22:57 (Ref:3750572)   #46
littleman
Veteran

Without National. Regional or Local Government support I don't believe any Grand Prix is financially viable.

A stand alone promoter,like Silverstone Circuit for example, simply cannot recover the race fee and the constant investment required in it's facilities.

It may come as a surprise to many, but most at the BRDC still labour under the misplaced belief that they are the "Keepers" of the British Grand Prix. They have a duty, and a responsibility, to ensure that the race is retained for the prestige of the entire nation.

These are noble and worthy principles, which explain to a large extent, why they sign up to deals which are never financially viable.Despicable BE exploited this dedication to the Sport, and Grand Prix in particular, to the max.

The BRDC need support to retain the British Grand Prix,anyway it comes. The wider F1 community is perfectly able to assist if it so wishes.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 23:37 (Ref:3750576)   #47
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think and hope that a solution will be found to keep the GP at Silverstone. But the BRDC couldn't keep burning money. Something had to give. And if year in, year out full houses can't support a Grand Prix financially, something is wrong.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 01:36 (Ref:3750597)   #48
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
They lose a few million a year but didn't they spend about £30m on the laughable new pits and removing one of the best corners in the world?
Didn't they build the new pits complex and hospitality area because Bernie insisted?
Old 12 Jul 2017, 03:21 (Ref:3750609)   #49
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Didn't they build the new pits complex and hospitality area because Bernie insisted?
Don't think so. It was suggested pits needed refurbishing but the rest was a BRDC plan IIRC
Old 12 Jul 2017, 05:21 (Ref:3750617)   #50
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They needed to bail out to be able to renegotiate terms to a rediculous contract. It started at a reasonable rate (hosting fee to F1), but increases by 10% per year. I would say it was stupid for BRDA to sign it in the first place, but actually the "out" clause they built into it is a masterstroke, and plays right into their hands. Longer term this was the only option and I'd be surprised if another deal is not struck to retain the race over the next 24 months (before it is lost).