Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Oct 2017, 14:10 (Ref:3771776)   #1
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
US F1 broadcasting rights switching to ESPN in 2018

This showed up in my news feed this morning...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...a-1/106292318/

Note the comments from NBC as to why they are not continuing as the broadcaster. I am not sure where NBC and Liberty Media directly compete. While searching around for a connection, it sounds like there is a bit of bad blood between NBC and Liberty...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...-popcorn-fart/

Basically Liberty thinks NBC was paying too little and also not showing it on their main network (vs NBC Sports where it lives today).

Then there is the obvious question as to what happens with the current NBC F1 broadcast team. Steve Matchett, David Hobbs and Will Buxton have been fixtures of US F1 broadcasting for awhile. Leigh Diffey is new as Bob Varsha didn't move over with the team when the rights moved to NBC.

Richard
Old 4 Oct 2017, 14:15 (Ref:3771778)   #2
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Comment from Buxton on twitter...

https://twitter.com/thebuxtonblog/st...62614997970944

Basically it sounds like he is not sure what is going to happen with the broadcast team. But at the same time... it sounds like he might be leaving NBC ???

Richard
Old 4 Oct 2017, 15:43 (Ref:3771790)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D.../10/04/F1.aspx

Quote:
ESPN is not believed to be paying a rights fee for the programming and will rely on a world feed to carry the races

OTT rights are not part of this deal, as F1 will retain control over those rights -- a position that proved to be a sticking point with NBC
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...ne-rights-2018

United States and Mexico will air live on ABC.
Monaco will air live on ESPN and delayed on ABC.
Canada and Britain will air live on ESPN.
All other races will air live on ESPN2.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 16:54 (Ref:3771816)   #4
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Thanks for that link. Either my lack of understanding how the broadcast rights work is quite bad, or maybe that article is poorly written. This part in particular confuses me...

Quote:
Neither side would comment on financials, but ESPN is not believed to be paying a rights fee for the programming and will rely on a world feed to carry the races.
(my bold)

This makes ZERO sense to me. There is no way FOM just lets ESPN broadcast without paying a fee. It is my understanding that ALL broadcasters use the world feed content (produced by FOM's broadcast arm). Then they can add whatever extra (such as commentary by their own team) to craft their own broadcast. Additionally, per posts in the UK F1 broadcast thread, it seems that FOM also owns the rights to those customized broadcasts as well. So for example FOM owns the rights to the NBC content that is created today and would be the same for the ESPN content in the future. I assume that is done for many reasons. But mostly to protect the IP that FOM has given it is derivative work of licensed content.

Regarding NBC not being involved going forward...

Quote:
The circuit's OTT rights are not part of this deal, as F1 will retain control over those rights -- a position that proved to be a sticking point with NBC, which had carried races on NBCSN since '13.
So I assume that previously NBC had "exclusive" rights for the US market. That they could pick and choose what they showed via the main free to view/OTT "NBC" channels or broadcast on pay (via cable or sat) NBCSN or maybe via an NBC streaming app (not sure if that existed as I never would have used it).

As to a "sticking point" with NBC, I assume it's not so much that FOM was keeping the rights for free/OTT but rather NBC was probably not willing to pay whatever FOM wanted to allow NBC to keep the exclusive rights for the US market (current NBC deal).

I assume that the ESPN deal is not exclusive so that FOM was able to work separate deals for free/OTT with ABC. NBC wouldn't have wanted to broadcast some stuff on NBCSN and then have ABC (a direct competitor) do select races OTT. So that is probably the conflict.

Richard
Old 4 Oct 2017, 17:20 (Ref:3771824)   #5
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Richard, like so much in the world of F1, a great amount of it is convoluted and opaque. This was how BCE liked it, because he could take advantage of the fact that no one else knew what other entities were entitled to or getting. No reason why the broadcasting deals would be any different, and it would seem as though Liberty are continuing the legacy.

I believe that broadcasting deals were independently negotiated for different territories, and the deal that one broadcaster got could well be different to that in a neighbouring territory. And even the deals done by tender process in one country could provide different outcomes.

For example, most of the broadcasting deals allow only for the races to be shown by the designated broadcaster. However, in the not too distant past, the UK's BBC's rights allowed it to sell on the programmes (live) to other certain countries. I do not believe that this right was granted to any of the other UK broadcasters, i.e. ITV, Channel 4 and SKY.

It may well be this "right" that is being discussed by NBC and ESPN. That they cannot sell it on to third parties.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 18:50 (Ref:3771847)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think there is a bit of confusion in the articles not least because they don't explain what is available to the National Rights holders/broadcasters.

No one other than FOM is allowed to film Live track action with their own cameras. The most they can do is film in the pits at certain times such as during Free Practices and when the pit lane opens Pre race.

So the term OTT relates to On The Track action. Whilst many broadcasters are happy to take the OTT World feed, some do want to supplement this or even provide alternative coverage of their own.

The most obvious version of this that I've come across is in Golf at The Open (the British Open as some American's refer to it), where there is jointly produced (Host Broadcaster/European Tour) world feed, from which a separate feed for the UK is carved. But the US network that is covering it sets up their own cameras and covers the entire event independently of the word feed.

So getting back to F1, my read is that, the sticking point with the US networks was that they were wanting to set up track cameras at all events or perhaps provide the World feed at the US event themselves (as Monaco).

In terms of the not paying a rights fee, National broadcasters that want to present their programmes from the venues pay an additional fee, than those who only want the OTT. These will have an agreement with another national broadcaster who is on site for commentary and possibly access to interviews etc.

As such, I'm taking what's in that article to mean that ESPN aren't paying the extra to have their full OB production crew to host shows on-site. That the shows will be hosted from the US, going to the World feed at the 5 minute sting, and then back to the studio. They may have a single camera setup for interviews that can be sent back to the US on the media centre uplinks.

I could be very wrong, but that's my take on what Ive read.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 19:23 (Ref:3771850)   #7
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is probably because millions of people suffered ear burn and brain damage from listening to NBC commentary, if their NASCAR coverage is anything to go by.

Last edited by Number4; 4 Oct 2017 at 19:28.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 20:14 (Ref:3771863)   #8
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
This is probably because millions of people suffered ear burn and brain damage from listening to NBC commentary, if their NASCAR coverage is anything to go by.
Nah. The nbcsn crew is great. Well, except when varsha is there. He sucks all life out of it. But I am not going to like this if they don't keep the same crew. And will they still broadcast fp1 and qualifying? Because espn2 has other programming on Friday mornings when fp1 is usually on. Would not be surprised if those two sessions become relegated to online with espn3 or pay for it online. That would severely suck.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 21:26 (Ref:3771871)   #9
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
No one other than FOM is allowed to film Live track action with their own cameras. The most they can do is film in the pits at certain times such as during Free Practices and when the pit lane opens Pre race.
Makes sense. I would add, there seems to be allowed press scrums during/after race as well to interview drivers, etc.

Quote:
So the term OTT relates to On The Track action.
I totally screwed that up and converted OTT to OTA (over the air).

Quote:
So getting back to F1, my read is that, the sticking point with the US networks was that they were wanting to set up track cameras at all events or perhaps provide the World feed at the US event themselves (as Monaco).
I would be absolutely shocked if anyone (including the largest US networks) had much if any interest in running their own cameras at events. "Maybe" at the US GP. The problem is that F1 is still a bit of novelty in the US. We generally feel luck if we are able to watch it all let alone some network spending significant money for their own production.

Quote:
As such, I'm taking what's in that article to mean that ESPN aren't paying the extra to have their full OB production crew to host shows on-site. That the shows will be hosted from the US, going to the World feed at the 5 minute sting, and then back to the studio. They may have a single camera setup for interviews that can be sent back to the US on the media centre uplinks.
I hope this does not preclude the current setup of pit lane interviews, etc. with Will Buxton. Assuming Will or anyone from the current team moves to ESPN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Nah. The nbcsn crew is great. Well, except when varsha is there. He sucks all life out of it. But I am not going to like this if they don't keep the same crew. And will they still broadcast fp1 and qualifying? Because espn2 has other programming on Friday mornings when fp1 is usually on. Would not be surprised if those two sessions become relegated to online with espn3 or pay for it online. That would severely suck.
I like the current crew. I even liked Varsha. I know some are not a fan of Diffey. I think Diffey has other stuff that he does for NBC. I don't know if Buxton, Hobbs and Matchett have other NBC roles. If not, I can imagine them moving to ESPN?

I think ESPN has committed to showing the practice sessions, but I fully expect some/most of that to be pushed to secondary channels or even online only (yuck).

Richard
Old 4 Oct 2017, 22:10 (Ref:3771879)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Makes sense. I would add, there seems to be allowed press scrums during/after race as well to interview drivers, etc.
The interview pen is in the paddock and not covered by the FOM feed as it's for individual national broadcasters to get their questions to the drivers. If ESPN are going to have a limited on-site presence then they would still have a single camera and reporter there for that. Otherwise they would be buying another broadcasters interviews possibly with the reporting holding an marked mike as well as their own.

But as I say that's just my reading of the articles and could be completely wrong.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 13:54 (Ref:3772087)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There is no way FOM just lets ESPN broadcast without paying a fee.
Well, it's free advertising... I'm pretty sure that F1 team sponsors like getting live coverage on ESPN2.

Quote:
I assume it's not so much that FOM was keeping the rights for free/OTT but rather NBC was probably not willing to pay whatever FOM wanted to allow NBC to keep the exclusive rights for the US market (current NBC deal).
On the contrary, I think that F1 was not willing to sell full rights to NBC. Liberty Global wants to develop an in-house streaming service.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 13:56 (Ref:3772089)   #12
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D.../10/04/F1.aspx

OTT rights are not part of this deal, as F1 will retain control over those rights -- a position that proved to be a sticking point with NBC.
Quote:

So the term OTT relates to On The Track action. Whilst many broadcasters are happy to take the OTT World feed, some do want to supplement this or even provide alternative coverage of their own.
Not correct. The article says that over-the-top (digital streaming) rights are not part of the deal.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 18:56 (Ref:3772148)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I stand corrected, I hadn't noticed the explanation of OTT.
Old 6 Oct 2017, 02:36 (Ref:3772232)   #14
nezy37
Rookie

United States
wisconsin
nezy37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This sucks on many levels. I don't trust ESPN to give us qualifying and practice. We will get first take or whatever other crap they are running in the morning. I am concerned they will show up for the formation lap and call it good with very little lead in.

I like the current commentary team. I also like the fact that all of them have appeared on IndyCar broadcasts which can't happen now. Abc/ESPN is absolutely awful with their IndyCar coverage, really hope they go away and now they get f1. They won't give it the time and attention it deserves. I really don't like ESPN in general much less their dog crap motorsports coverage, this sucks
Old 6 Oct 2017, 05:27 (Ref:3772242)   #15
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezy37 View Post
This sucks on many levels. I don't trust ESPN to give us qualifying and practice. We will get first take or whatever other crap they are running in the morning. I am concerned they will show up for the formation lap and call it good with very little lead in.

I like the current commentary team. I also like the fact that all of them have appeared on IndyCar broadcasts which can't happen now. Abc/ESPN is absolutely awful with their IndyCar coverage, really hope they go away and now they get f1. They won't give it the time and attention it deserves. I really don't like ESPN in general much less their dog crap motorsports coverage, this sucks
These same thoughts are running through my head. But I'm waiting to hear details, such as if the nbcsn crew moves over or something. Claiming espn2 will air it worries me because they have daily shows they run there right now so it makes me worried fp2 akd qualifying end up online only. We'll see....
Old 8 Oct 2017, 18:54 (Ref:3773059)   #16
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not selling the streaming right marks a big change in FOM's approach. Bernie used to outsource streaming to the broadcasters in exchange for a big pile of money. Liberty want to do it themselves, and therefore compete with the broadcasters. The price of the TV rights is about to go down. I wonder how that will affect FOM's income in the future, and teams' prize money...
Old 10 Oct 2017, 02:59 (Ref:3773328)   #17
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well that pretty much ENDS F1 in the US. If you want to completely screw up race broadcasts, let the guys as Disney pick the commentary team. They make the NBC Nascar team seem electrifying and great. Combine that with ESPN's idea of paying nothing for new commentators and now firing them before they become stars, and we get ZERO chance they will think NBCSN and Speed had a great thing with Hobbs/Matchett. I'm guessing we'll end up with Eddie Cheever, Scott Speed, or some other ex-F1 US driver and the high point of likely bringing Buxton across for trackside access and interviews if he is willing to take their probably terrible pay. Not sure who they'd try to sign as play-by-play since they need to replace Bestwick after firing him after Indy 500. Was really hoping this meant they had lost the 500 and their few Indy races but sounds like we're stuck with them again for a few races more. Just go to the Indy side of the forum to hear how bad the coverage really is, even the series writers can't find anything good, or even neutral, to say above it other than it has to end soon.

This will be a dumpster fire for Liberty as many things they've touched have turned into lately, see Braves 2015-2017 without signs of actual improvement despite the cash influx from dragging the team out of town to a strip mall they call a stadium. Improving the wrapper just hides the pet waste inside and I think that's their idea of improvement. Don't view the actual product, how do people perceive it TODAY and calculate value this second. Late season numbers show fans really didn't care about the Battery when the team is bad. But their radio station runs non-stop ads and in-programming faked commentator testimonial about how great it is as a fan experience. And given that ESPN charges between 9 and 18 dollars per month per subscriber to full service cable, going with the number one reason people cut the cord is a bad idea. ESPN constantly fights 'a la carte' cable programming because they know they are a money pit after overbidding for college sports, NBA and NFL games. Can get NBCSN, and FS1/2, with an a la carte digital provider but ESPN increases costs and decreases access so guess I'm back to zero F1 coverage again.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 18:23 (Ref:3773741)   #18
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
This makes ZERO sense to me. There is no way FOM just lets ESPN broadcast without paying a fee. It is my understanding that ALL broadcasters use the world feed content (produced by FOM's broadcast arm). Then they can add whatever extra (such as commentary by their own team) to craft their own broadcast. Additionally, per posts in the UK F1 broadcast thread, it seems that FOM also owns the rights to those customized broadcasts as well. So for example FOM owns the rights to the NBC content that is created today and would be the same for the ESPN content in the future. I assume that is done for many reasons. But mostly to protect the IP that FOM has given it is derivative work of licensed content.
given Steve Bratches' long time tenure and relationship (one of the architects of building a pay TV sports model) with ESPN i cant say this isnt surprising plus i would think there has to much more to this deal then what has so far been reported.

the no money thing is certainly unusual and i wonder what the quid pro quo will be...just speculating but i could see ESPN offering FOM a pay wall online streaming platform with a global reach and/or a production department to help monetize the F1 archive of historical footage (more documentaries, features, and movies etc).

for sure, at some point there will be an additional cost to the fans but if the quality of content is there then i think it could be a good thing.

commentary crew aside (will wait to see who they get), i also do like the idea of a few races being on ABC's Wide World of Sports...i think Al Michaels used to do some of the commentary.

one of the first F1 races i ever saw was a mid 80's Monaco GP on the Wide World of Sports program so some nostalgia for me there.

Last edited by chillibowl; 11 Oct 2017 at 18:28.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 18:59 (Ref:3773746)   #19
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
given Steve Bratches' long time tenure and relationship (one of the architects of building a pay TV sports model) with ESPN i cant say this isnt surprising plus i would think there has to much more to this deal then what has so far been reported.

the no money thing is certainly unusual and i wonder what the quid pro quo will be...just speculating but i could see ESPN offering FOM a pay wall online streaming platform with a global reach and/or a production department to help monetize the F1 archive of historical footage (more documentaries, features, and movies etc).

for sure, at some point there will be an additional cost to the fans but if the quality of content is there then i think it could be a good thing.

commentary crew aside (will wait to see who they get), i also do like the idea of a few races being on ABC's Wide World of Sports...i think Al Michaels used to do some of the commentary.

one of the first F1 races i ever saw was a mid 80's Monaco GP on the Wide World of Sports program so some nostalgia for me there.
The big selling point if Liberty really wants to move to or push a streaming platform is the success and variety ESPN has been able to offer on ESPN3, the streaming platform not the occasional channel name. The big problem currently with that is ESPN is facing a few FCC and class action cases regarding the net neutrality violation of forcing all who pay for internet access affiliated with ESPN3 to pay for it. It is not a line item on your ISP bill and I believe AT&T fiber, and a few other services that require an internet and tv combo offering have an ESPN access path. But you can also get ESPN3 at many US colleges and universities by accessing through your school email account. It is also on XBox Live with Gold now and I believe Dish has made it available as a solo purchase add-on with SlingTV. But many of the offerings have been of the secondary college sports, Canadian football and obscure events. Believe they had signed WC qualifiers in the past and other events. But it is a large multi-channel platform that NSCSN just seemingly couldn't offer. Their app is TERRIBLE and they've spent a LOT of their money pushing a second channel of purely Olympic coverage, 24/7, 365. Nothing like watching previous Olympic events cause everyone loves tape delayed events we only care about every 4 years.

Sadly ABC's wide world of sports declined after Keith Jackson stopped and went out to pasture after Al Michaels stopped caring. That old theme music and Keith's intro still can bring chills and used to be the only way to see LM24 highlights and a few GPs. ABC still uses the tagline and basic idea, but it's not even close to the same thing anymore.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 21:04 (Ref:3773765)   #20
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The big problem currently with that is ESPN is facing a few FCC and class action cases regarding the net neutrality violation of forcing all who pay for internet access affiliated with ESPN3 to pay for it.

It is not a line item on your ISP bill and I believe AT&T fiber, and a few other services that require an internet and tv combo offering have an ESPN access path.

But [...] is also on XBox Live with Gold now and I believe Dish has made it available as a solo purchase add-on with SlingTV.
ESPN3 should be purchased independently from internet access, of course. But the FCC didn't stop ESPN during the Obama government, and the new FCC president is even more lobby-friendly.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 21:29 (Ref:3773775)   #21
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh joy, Liberty Media strikes again. I hope they fail at everything they try.

ESPN just laid off most of their motorsport staff, so I bet this will be some high quality coverage! At least it's not Fox.

Thanks to NBC who has done a fantastic job over the past 5 years.
Old 21 Oct 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3775449)   #22
RWill2073
Veteran

Zak Brown was talking with the NBCSN crew during FP2 and said he was going to miss the guys next year, to which they said they would miss it too. I guess this is a strong indication that the move to ESPN is going to result in worse coverage. I was holding out hope they would shift the same coverage over to ESPN. This will likely be the first move by Liberty Media that I will not like, and it may be the most important, as any major change in availability of FP2, Qualifying, or the race, or shifting to online only for any of those, will reduce my viewership. And the use of the Indy crew from ESPN/ABC will either require I get my audio elsewhere or I may just not watch FP2 or qualifying.
Old 23 Oct 2017, 12:28 (Ref:3775860)   #23
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
ESPN didn't really like to take other crews before, and now in the era of budget cuts and elimination of the sportscaster/anchor as a draw, I'd have been surprised to see them take anyone other than Will Buxton. Add even then signing him as a pure grab for some trackside interviews. How much racing does the various ESPN bits do worldwide? I'll admit I know nothing about ESPN outside of the US and was actually surprised anyone else would have wanted the "world-side leader" as they love to tag themselves.

As for FP sessions and even qualy, I expect those in the fall to magically disappear from broadcast on fall Saturdays. Maybe if they are early enough to miss the 14 hours of pregame coverage for college football but I couldn't imagine they would boot Big 10 noon games to ESPN2 for qualifying sessions. And to boot Sportscenter on a Sat or Sunday morning to ESPN2 or News to cover an 8 am US Eastern time?? Most of the season avoids that it's not like ESPN has had a great run of success the last decade, at least NBCSN has tried.

Hopefully this means they have ripped the 500 from ABC's terrible coverage finally. There is supposedly a TV announcement coming soon from Indy so who knows.

Personally hoping FOM/FIA agree to marketing a tape delayed on-demand streaming service on their own or Netflix/Amazon distributed. I rarely watched the races live as it is so waiting until Monday evening or later is fine by me.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 13:12 (Ref:3776769)   #24
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...s-plans-for-f1

Quote:
Is the Disney side viewed as an opportunity to put F1 in front of new eyeballs? Yes. Outside of sports, and whether that's through ABC or potential Disney opportunities with our theme parks, or cruise lines, or movie studios ... none of this has been determined or completely fleshed out at this point, but the opportunity is to integrate Formula 1 across the variety of assets that the Disney operates is pretty spectacular.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3782203)   #25
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Even worse news about how Liberty chose ESPN for the US coverage rights. From Robin Miller on racer.com:

Q: Robin, I cannot believe that F1 is dropping NBCSN for ESPN! Are they NUTS? I remember when ESPN had covered FORMULA 1 and it sucked big time with races being shown at 2:30 in the morning! Horrible coverage! Thank God the SPEED Channel came along and saved us from ESPN's coverage. Then some moron decided to get rid of the SPEED Channel all together! NBCSN has done a great job covering FORMULA ONE and should continue doing so. I was sooooo disappointed when I read about the coverage change.
Dennis Studer
RM: The easiest explanation is that F1 gave it to ESPN (no production or talent costs and no rights fee) because I think the long-range plan is to make F1 all streaming on ESPN's app.

Hope that's Robin just spouting his thoughts but he's been on target lately with most things motorsports lately.