Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Feb 2018, 04:42 (Ref:3801746)   #51
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I will just watch our Spanish station with no ad breaks and action from beginning to end ....
Old 16 Feb 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3801777)   #52
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Do they just as you say find a quick end to whatever they are saying (we in the US would break away) then they start up talking again for a few minutes until there is is what they think is the expected end of the break, stop talking (we in the US return) and then they pick up talking again?
Precisely that. Exactly the way RLM do on the world feed for Daytona, PLM and so on.
Old 16 Feb 2018, 17:10 (Ref:3801858)   #53
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
As an American, I am extremely happy that this has happened.

sure as hell won't miss NBC, bloody commercial breaks every 6-7 minutes.
No you won't. Be sure that ESPN will do them.
Old 16 Feb 2018, 20:36 (Ref:3801904)   #54
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Only change will be ESPN might not run the same 8 commercials. Only thing worse than the NBCSports commercials were the FoxSports commercials in IMSA coverage. Then you might get 5 different commercials in 12 hours
Old 17 Feb 2018, 14:30 (Ref:3802006)   #55
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not saying Legard was good, but I preferred him to James Allen. James wasn't interested in commentating on the Grand Prix or even F1. It was Formula Jenson and the Grand Lewis. He spent more time talking about the similarities between Lewis and Senna based on the type of yellow on their helmets than the actual race. As a radio commentator and pit lane reporter, he was generally ok and unoffensive. In the pits he had a very specific job to do, and he'd go and do it and do it well. When left to his own devices in the commentary box he was embarrassing.

The only person close to Allen was Ant Davidson. His first few times commentating all he wanted to do was pimp himself out and talk about how great he was. Even when Jenson won his first Grand Prix at Hungaroring, Davidson turned that into "I can't believe I was the one who commentated on this". Aye Ant, because that's the achievement today.

Legard was a step up from the absolute nonsense that was the ITV production. He was by no means good, but it at least became professional. Croft raised the bar once again. He has his moments of error or annoyance, but so does every commentator. I'm a HUGE fan of Radio Le Mans/Radio Show Limited/IMSA Radio and even they have their moments that I don't agree with. So when it comes to Croft, I personally take the stance of 'cut him some slack', because he's much better than anything we've had for a good 15 years or so.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 10:14 (Ref:3804223)   #56
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder whether the latest news that Comcast have thrown their hat in the ring to buy Sky will have any impact in the USA?

It certainly muddies the water in Disney's bid to buy Fox including Sky.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 13:54 (Ref:3804274)   #57
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I wonder whether the latest news that Comcast have thrown their hat in the ring to buy Sky will have any impact in the USA?

It certainly muddies the water in Disney's bid to buy Fox including Sky.
I hadn't heard that here in the US but it doesn't surprise me, Comcast wants everyone to forget they are buying everything by using 30 different names. Personally thought they should have been split up years ago and never allowed to own the production and distribution streams, they already own NBC/Universal and tried to buy more before even the orange president said whoa, that might be too far. Somehow few here think it is a problem for them to own the production studio, the distributor and the provider, but then want to fiercely defend net neutrality. Guess TV is different than internet, oh wait that's how many get internet too.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 18:08 (Ref:3806903)   #58
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Comcast should have never been allowed to buy NBC Universal.

Btw, that was during the Obama government.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 18:16 (Ref:3807768)   #59
jdetray
Rookie

United States
Ohio, USA
jdetray should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjdetray should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjdetray should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll miss the NBCSN commentary team, but I'm sure I'll become accustomed to the Sky team.

Something I find odd and distressing is that, so far, ESPN has not aired ANY promotions for its impending F1 coverage. Normally, a network that is about to commence coverage of the F1 world championship would be running numerous ads informing viewers that F1 is coming to ESPN. Instead, nothing!

I'll wager that very few ESPN viewers have the slightest notion that F1 is coming to ESPN. It's as if ESPN wants to keep it a closely guarded secret.

- Jeff
Old 13 Mar 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3807772)   #60
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetray View Post
I'll miss the NBCSN commentary team, but I'm sure I'll become accustomed to the Sky team.

Something I find odd and distressing is that, so far, ESPN has not aired ANY promotions for its impending F1 coverage. Normally, a network that is about to commence coverage of the F1 world championship would be running numerous ads informing viewers that F1 is coming to ESPN. Instead, nothing!

I'll wager that very few ESPN viewers have the slightest notion that F1 is coming to ESPN. It's as if ESPN wants to keep it a closely guarded secret.

- Jeff
I've noticed this too. I had to search to see if/when it was being telecast. It's been awful quiet.
Old 14 Mar 2018, 21:29 (Ref:3808048)   #61
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
ESPN reveals F1 TV broadcast schedule for 2018.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...-schedule-2018
Old 15 Mar 2018, 05:24 (Ref:3808094)   #62
jdetray
Rookie

United States
Ohio, USA
jdetray should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjdetray should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjdetray should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Per the schedule, ESPN's coverage will be spread across FIVE channels: ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3 (a streaming service), ESPN NEWS, and ABC. To be fair, NBC utilized a few different channels at times, but ESPN are using as many as four channels on a single weekend.

I note that qualifying for the USGP and Brazilian GP are listed as "TBD" and "(delayed)." In other words, qualifying for those two races will not be shown live on any ESPN channel. Not good.

- Jeff
Old 15 Mar 2018, 15:43 (Ref:3808173)   #63
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
So every qualifying session will air on ESPN2 or ESPNews. That's not bad.

I think that every practice session should air on ESPNews. I mean, what else gets would get priority at Friday 9 am or Saturday 6 am?
Old 22 Mar 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3809951)   #64
jdetray
Rookie

United States
Ohio, USA
Last night I finally saw a promo on ESPN for their F1 coverage. It was a 10-second promo on the 1:00 a.m. (Eastern time U.S.) edition of SportsCenter.

I watch a couple of hours of ESPN per day, and this is the first time I have noted any mention that the network is now the television home of F1 in the U.S.

- Jeff
Old 22 Mar 2018, 18:54 (Ref:3809953)   #65
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Last night I finally saw a promo on ESPN for their F1 coverage. It was a 10-second promo on the 1:00 a.m. (Eastern time U.S.) edition of SportsCenter.

I watch a couple of hours of ESPN per day, and this is the first time I have noted any mention that the network is now the television home of F1 in the U.S.

- Jeff
But did it excite you; make you think that this was something that couldn't be missed?
Old 22 Mar 2018, 21:34 (Ref:3809982)   #66
jdetray
Rookie

United States
Ohio, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
But did it excite you; make you think that this was something that couldn't be missed?
No!

The image on the screen was a static graphic suggestive of a generic open wheel car with text that said something like "Australian F1 Grand Prix on ESPN2."

The voiceover was delivered live by one of the SportsCenter anchorpersons, and he sounded as if he had little interest in what he was saying and little or no idea what F1 is.

He delivered only the bare facts: "Watch the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix Sunday morning at 1:00 a.m. eastern on ESPN2 or streaming the ESPN app."

Zero excitement was expressed during the brief 10-second promo.

- Jeff
Old 24 Mar 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3810409)   #67
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
The voiceover was delivered live by one of the SportsCenter anchorpersons, and he sounded as if he had little interest in what he was saying and little or no idea what F1 is.
"Anything you put on that prompter, Burgundy will read!"
Old 24 Mar 2018, 15:43 (Ref:3810421)   #68
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
curious what our American cousins thought of the SKY coverage...well those who saw it for the first time that is.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 23:37 (Ref:3810525)   #69
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
curious what our American cousins thought of the SKY coverage...well those who saw it for the first time that is.
It seemed fine. It will take some time to learn the personalities of the presenters. I miss the NBC team. During Q3, someone seemed to have had too much coffee this morning given the level of excitement (a bit over the top) that was shown.

Richard
Old 24 Mar 2018, 23:39 (Ref:3810527)   #70
jdetray
Rookie

United States
Ohio, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
The Sky coverage is very good, though I have a couple of minor complaints.

To my ears, the SKY presenters seem to mumble, making them a bit difficult to understand. This is not a matter of British English versus American English -- for the past several years the NBC team in the U.S. consisted of 3 Brits and an Aussie and were easy to understand. The SKY team seem to be chatting casually amongst themselves rather than speaking clearly and directly to the viewing audience. It's a difference in style to which I will no doubt become accustomed.

Also, the SKY presenters seldom identify themselves, so it's difficult (for we newcomers to SKY) to sort out who is speaking, Paul di Resta being a notable exception!

It does not help that ESPN fails to broadcast the SKY pre- and post-session coverage, so all we are getting (so far) are the sessions themselves. This is a terrible decision by ESPN, doing NOTHING to help build the American audience for F1. NBC always gave us extensive pre- and post-session analysis.

Overall, I am happy with the SKY coverage but dreadfully disappointed in ESPN's presentation.

- Jeff
Old 24 Mar 2018, 23:50 (Ref:3810528)   #71
supermario21
Racer

supermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsupermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been a big fan of the Sky coverage. Announcers and analysis is good. I bet Brundle's grid walk will be much better, as well. Never was a big fan of Buxton, who was fascinated by the most minor thing and never interviewed too many big stars on the grid. The Sky team has gravitas that the Americans simply didn't. Also, WatchESPN/ESPN3 (the streaming app) is about 100x better than NBC's Live Extra.

It's amusing hopping on twitter and scanning what people are saying. Many are complaining and wishing the NBC folks were back. Many of the same were complaining about NBC's announcers until now!

There's no point catering to the passionate few. The ESPN deal will be much better for American F1 viewership if the network spends even an ounce promoting it. ESPN2 has been a basic cable channel for decades. NBCSN was/still a premium channel for many. My only complaint was the abrupt breakaway from FP3 and qualifying. They actually stayed on for 10-15 minutes after FP1. I don't need a half-hour, but something more than a couple of minutes would be nice. But it isn't a dealbreaker for me. As long as the racing is live and easily accessible, I'm not complaining.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 23:58 (Ref:3810530)   #72
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Before the racing season got going, I cut the cable cord and have been using YouTube and Roku to watch motoracing. Thankfully, with my internet only and access to only ESPN3, I get to view this weekend's proceedings. I've only watched bits and pieces of practice and quali through ESPN / Sky and don't have much in the way of comments on presenters, but I've noticed far less advertisements already, which is a huge step forward for me in showing an event that is littered with advertisements.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 18:05 (Ref:3810685)   #73
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For what it’s worth,

Once the racing started I barley noticed the Halo and it certainly didn’t look out of place. A photo on its own dosnt look too good but mixed in a group of cars, I think it looked ok.

The lack of posts moaning about it here shows that I’m not alone I feel
Old 25 Mar 2018, 19:37 (Ref:3810703)   #74
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
For what it’s worth,

Once the racing started I barley noticed the Halo and it certainly didn’t look out of place. A photo on its own dosnt look too good but mixed in a group of cars, I think it looked ok.

The lack of posts moaning about it here shows that I’m not alone I feel
Nobody moaned about the halo as they all fell asleep during the so called race
Old 25 Mar 2018, 19:49 (Ref:3810704)   #75
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
When they realised the halo was in front of the on board camera..they moved the cameras up above the halo. Really....were Ferrari the ONLY ones to realise you can earn fortunes by putting your sponsors names around the halo..on top, so every time your car is featured on board...your sponsors are plastered over the screen...? I cannot believe nobody else has realised this...wake up Teams!