Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jan 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3797167)   #1
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The new great grid girl debate

Grid girls are no longer. See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261
Old 31 Jan 2018, 14:50 (Ref:3797170)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wonder what focus group they'll pander to next?
Old 31 Jan 2018, 16:51 (Ref:3797203)   #3
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Wonder what focus group they'll pander to next?
They shouldn't change the group. They should continue to "pander" to those that they think are the future fans. I assume businesses "pander" to their customers all the time. Or better said... listen to their wants.

Clearly all customers may not agree.

Richard
Old 31 Jan 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3797205)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So some people have lost, albeit part time but fun, jobs for no really good reason.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 17:15 (Ref:3797209)   #5
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The grid girl discussion thread ran its course and eventually was locked (it became the trainwreck I knew it would). I don't want this thread to turn into that discussion. So... No more comments from me on this topic. It is just rehashing that thread anyhow. Everyone is not going to agree.

But... thanks Mike for the link regarding the news.

Richard
Old 31 Jan 2018, 17:46 (Ref:3797218)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Grid girls are no longer. See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261
good news for equality, and making women feel welcome in the sport.
Quote:
So some people have lost, albeit part time but fun, jobs for no really good reason.
they can get "proper" jobs in motorsport to get involved like the rest of us do.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 17:57 (Ref:3797222)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
They probably don't want "proper" jobs in the sport.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 18:04 (Ref:3797226)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
They probably don't want "proper" jobs in the sport.
and what do attractive men do when they don't want "proper" jobs in the sport?
Old 31 Jan 2018, 18:24 (Ref:3797230)   #9
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just scrap F1 and rename Formula E as F1, they already have, jaguar, citroen,bmw,audi,porsche and mercedes, all they need now is Ferrari and the world is at their feet
Old 31 Jan 2018, 20:41 (Ref:3797269)   #10
Richard C
Veteran

Richard
Old 31 Jan 2018, 23:38 (Ref:3797309)   #11
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
Just scrap F1 and rename Formula E as F1, they already have, jaguar, citroen,bmw,audi,porsche and mercedes, all they need now is Ferrari and the world is at their feet
They don't have Lewis, or Vettel.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 06:12 (Ref:3797363)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
and what do attractive men do when they don't want "proper" jobs in the sport?
Drive the cars?
Old 1 Feb 2018, 08:40 (Ref:3797382)   #13
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
That's strike one for Liberty Media. Absolutely stupid decision.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3797389)   #14
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
good news for equality
So bunch of men have decided that women aren't allowed to do a paid job of their own choice, who have effectively banned women doing something they wished and wanted to do of their own free will. That is good news for equality???

You only have to read the comments posted under that BBC Sport article link to see this was not a good decision. 99.9% of the comments are against this decision.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 10:30 (Ref:3797399)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
You only have to read the comments posted under that BBC Sport article link to see this was not a good decision. 99.9% of the comments are against this decision.
sure, but instead of listening to randomers off the internet talk to women actually trying to work in the sport in any other role and see what they say. this one isn’t about what men and the privileged 30 or 40 girls per event think, it’s a far, far bigger thing than that.

there’s no point in bothering to discuss this any more tbh. nobody is going to change their viewpoint no matter how much energy everyone wastes on it.

as someone on twitter said, remember it’s not The Feminists that have decided to stop booking models for work, it’s a bunch of middle aged conservative men. the same ones who are umming and ahhing over whether to change race start times
Old 1 Feb 2018, 11:24 (Ref:3797411)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Liberty Media haven't done this for anything noble, like equality reasons, they have made this change because they are worried about their bottom line (pardon the pun). Public perception matters and if that affects their brand, then that means lower revenues. They have just stuck their finger in the air and seen which way the wind is blowing on this very topic, personally I don’t blame them for taking the decision, however deep down I don’t think it’s been done for the right reasons. I think if the women involved enjoy it and aren’t being coerced into it, I don’t personally see the problem. It’s a modelling job at the end of the day, are they going to ban modelling now as a “profession”?

Last edited by Sodemo; 1 Feb 2018 at 11:34.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 11:29 (Ref:3797413)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Liberty Media haven't done this for anything noble, like equality reasons, they have made this change because they are worried about their bottom line (pardon the pun). Public perception matters and if that affects their brand, then that means lower revenues, they have just stuck their finger in the air and seen which way the wind is blowing on this very topic, personally I don’t blame them for taking the decision, however deep down I don’t think it’s been done for the right reasons. I think if the women involved enjoy it and aren’t being coerced into it, I don’t personally see the problem. It’s a modelling job at the end of the day, are they going to ban modelling now as a “profession”?
Yes, I agree. All for the wrong reasons. If they concentrated on bringing back affordable technology so this would be no issue. All this is doing, is moving the furniture around. It makes no difference to the racing.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 11:39 (Ref:3797415)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think if the women involved enjoy it and aren’t being coerced into it, I don’t personally see the problem. It’s a modelling job at the end of the day, are they going to ban modelling now as a “profession”?
ehhhhhh, it's not strictly modelling though. promotional work maybe. it does need thinking about.

the issue is that whilst they're making money (get it, girls), and by all accounts having a great day, they're also validating the act of using women as decoration. so yeah, from their point of view it's fine but from the outside? it's saying "go ahead guys, that's all i'm here for - leering at and giggling at your crap chatup lines, lewd remarks and dad jokes".

i have a feeling this is going to end up being like the wec was - the *series* won't be hiring any grid girls, but they could easily tell the teams they need to provide someone to hold the grid board.

the interesting thing for me is that if we elevate men to do the same kind of job as grid girls it generally just looks a bit desperate and awkward. but if we say that we only expect women to do the promotional work that men currently do, it looks very different. i was thinking about that in general terms earlier as well - society and the media kicks off a bit when women start acting like men (see: the ladette culture of the 90s), but now we're expecting men to behave how we see women as doing, eg with a bit of decorum around the opposite sex, there's uproar.

put your impartial hat on and ponder that next time you're waiting for a kettle to boil. it's quite an interesting rabbit hole to disappear down. and totally off-topic
Old 1 Feb 2018, 12:09 (Ref:3797425)   #19
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I understand Bella's point of view and respect it.... I just think the banning of grid girls per se is a bit of a knee jerk. They could do as some GP's already did.... dress the girls in National costumes and put some culture in the show. As an example, the Olympic's opening ceremony.

Then the girls get their gig and everyone is happy.
For those that want a flesh show, go pick up a Target catalogue.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 12:13 (Ref:3797428)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
dress the girls in National costumes and put some culture in the show. As an example, the Olympic's opening ceremony.
sorry i just had this mental image of a whole bunch of girls in full faces of slap and perfectly done hair.... dressed as morris dancers
Old 1 Feb 2018, 12:23 (Ref:3797432)   #21
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
sorry i just had this mental image of a whole bunch of girls in full faces of slap and perfectly done hair.... dressed as morris dancers
Silverstone maybe.....
Old 1 Feb 2018, 20:06 (Ref:3797545)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Never ever has there been a better gauge of what is right than the comments section on the BBC website.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 20:21 (Ref:3797549)   #23
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why is this being discussed in the rules section? This is not a rule. Grid girls have not been banned. There is not a regulation on this. It is simply contractors not being rehired due to the job no longer being required.

If I stop hiring a builder, builders are not banned. They just aren't hired. So no matter what your opinion on grid girls, let's be clear that it is not a sporting regulation or rule - just F1 isn't hiring for a redundant position anymore. Making positions redundant that are filled by contractors happens, literally, every day in thousands of companies and positions around the world. Nobody seems to be fighting the side of the office worker who was "banned".
Old 1 Feb 2018, 20:42 (Ref:3797552)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Why is this being discussed in the rules section?
Good point. New thread created. For us all to enjoy.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 20:50 (Ref:3797554)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
good shout. i think we're all bored of discussing this but still it continues...

adam, just need to do some housework, mine and chili's convo was about techno-nomex gloves not lycra!

edit: done