Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Feb 2018, 20:57 (Ref:3797557)   #26
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was a little lazy, sorry I also wondered if loon’s was to do with this or a more general I hate things post? Here’s as good as anywhere. Especially as this will probably get closed at some point.

Thinking about it, it can’t be here. As Formula E doesn’t have grid girls. https://www.autosport.com/fe/news/13...l-announcement
Old 1 Feb 2018, 21:03 (Ref:3797558)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Twitter has some uses. I liked this joke.
https://twitter.com/lastonsunday/sta...19671210455045

Quote:
Never mind the grid girls, what about those poor people involved in making the national dress costumes? Nobody else is going to order 30 Austrian milk maid outfits!
Old 1 Feb 2018, 21:19 (Ref:3797566)   #28
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I was a little lazy, sorry I also wondered if loon’s was to do with this or a more general I hate things post? Here’s as good as anywhere. Especially as this will probably get closed at some point.

Thinking about it, it can’t be here. As Formula E doesn’t have grid girls. https://www.autosport.com/fe/news/13...l-announcement
But that just sums up Formula E. Nobody really watches it, and they feel the need to tell everybody how much better they are at every opportunity. They may well have shouted about it, and nobody cared.

There's huge irony in saying "we didn't see the need to shout about it", and then shouting about how you beat someone else to it. Formula E is massively hypocritical in how it is run, and I'm a huge EV fan.

Anyway, if people care enough then we'll just reintroduce grid girls. But we'll bring grid boys along too. We'll see if people like that. In F1 they'd probably be wearing suit trousers and a nice shirt. But in BTCC the grid boy would be wearing a banana hammock and a lycra top, rippling over his muscles. That way, everyone will be happy and there will be absolutely no complaints at all.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 21:53 (Ref:3797575)   #29
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
since this is a technology driven sport, i would say just bring along some grid robots....but Honda would probably screw that up as well!

Old 1 Feb 2018, 22:11 (Ref:3797588)   #30
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of the populace have dreary day jobs...Motor Racing has always added a little glamour and excitement into peoples lives...just like the theatre, music and other entertainments...what next? Plain beige hydrid cars lined up on the grid? Grey food vans where uniformly dressed people line up for their Soylent Green?
Old 1 Feb 2018, 23:09 (Ref:3797601)   #31
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Silverstone maybe.....
I quite like the idea of Morris Dancing at Silverstone but it must be traditional and not with grid girls.

Different groups of Morris Dancers would perform between races at the British GP, with a vote for the best group before the GP itself. All you that would be needed is a couple of beer tents and it would have that jovial feel of a point to point fixture.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 23:18 (Ref:3797603)   #32
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Most of the populace have dreary day jobs...Motor Racing has always added a little glamour and excitement into peoples lives...just like the theatre, music and other entertainments...what next? Plain beige hydrid cars lined up on the grid? Grey food vans where uniformly dressed people line up for their Soylent Green?
And yet before they do those dreary day jobs they don't have 20 girls standing around their office chairs with fake smiles on to add glamour?
No because it is a professional workplace not a night club.

So apparently we can't move towards a more equal society because of tradition? Because the minority of the right wing that spends their day inventing an imagined thought police censoring the world gets angry when we make another tiny step towards equality?

Literally every time there is a redressing of the power balance in society there is the same tired, clichéd cries of "p.c. gone mad!" Or "left wing libtard cucks controlling the world!", whether it be for gay marriage, diversity in the media, equal pay for women or whatever else.
And who cried loudest? Why it's those who now realise they have to share the world power (not lose, SHARE) by those they used to be able to easily exclude.
The fact those that had the power for centuries alone are now able to twist anything progressive In society as some sort of attack on traditional values and way of life to the point you get a trump/brexit situation has genuinely been one of the most depressing things about recent times.
No one wants to exclude anyone in this society, including straight white men. But it's time they learnt to share.

So liberty makes a business decision to try and make the sport more appealing to women and families and suddenly it's p.c. gone mad. laphead:
Wow that slogan has jumped the shark so much now no one ever uses it right eh?

And i know we're largely straight white guys on this forum so we're not going to further the discussion much but well, it's happening.

Personally, I've never actually "got" the grid girl thing. I find it awkward as hell to pay someone to be somewhere she has no interest in just to stand there with a fake smile on and look pretty. She's just there for a paycheque, she doesn't give a jack shite about the sport or the fans there, so what's she adding really?

I've seen this day coming for a long time. The fact it has taken until 2018 to finally happen shows you how much the sport was in the grip of an octaganarian previous to this.
As liberty have learnt from their social media, if you finally realise that it isn't the 1970s any more it will pay you back in dividends.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 23:46 (Ref:3797606)   #33
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a fairly jaundiced view codename...oh well...

Good to see this female person doing well in the atrociously male dominated world we live in...
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-0...racing/9383610
Old 1 Feb 2018, 23:48 (Ref:3797608)   #34
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's more PC BS, driven by a small minority of whiners who have to impose "equality" by driving everything down to their level at the bottom of the toilet. In the end it's jealous unattractive women disturbed by attractive women having a shot at a job that gets them attention, new boyfriends/husbands and access to potential jobs up the ladder. I have known many "grid girls" over 15 years that have used those jobs to make contacts and secure jobs in marketing, accounting, sales, management, etc. in and out of motorsport. It's all about who you know and these jobs allow a ground floor opportunity to make contacts in industry. That clearly disturbs the lazy and unattractive who *****ed and moaned to Liberty about this "oppression" and so here we are.

Formula 1 has always been about glamour, excitement, speed. You chisel that away and what do you have, Formula E and who gives a damn about that?

We've seen sports strip away their core values in favor of feminizing their sport and in the end those audiences are just not there. I've been around the block a few times and no matter how hard you try to feminize sports and especially motorsport, I have never seen that many women interested. There are a few ladies that participate in some of the clubs and a few that drive and a few that spectate and hey whatever, have at it but that is the exception not the rule. I have known many women around the world and I can think of very, very few that have any interest in watching motorsports or getting their hands dirty doing so. It's fools gold to chase that non existent market.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 23:58 (Ref:3797611)   #35
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think some forget why there is interest in motor racing and why people will spend horrendous sums to get into racing or participate as a fan and devote their time and money to watching it or going to races. Do people go to the movies to see a movie about pink hatted out of shape women complaining on the screen, or the theatre for the same or perhaps to listen to autotuned screeching of such women for music?

No.

Once these people kill the joy in these extra curricular activities, why bother and it's why I don't follow certain series these days anymore and prefer things like the TT, Dakar and such.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 00:00 (Ref:3797612)   #36
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's a fairly jaundiced view codename...oh well...

Good to see this female person doing well in the atrociously male dominated world we live in...
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-0...racing/9383610
Mines a jaundiced view and all the "this is pc gone mad" brigade are balanced and reasonable?
Sure..

And if you cant see the difference between a grid girl and the woman driver in the article you posted then words fail me.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 00:03 (Ref:3797613)   #37
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
The grid girl discussion thread ran its course and eventually was locked.
Understand how the left works. When they can't win the argument they have to ban, regulate, tax, oppress, subvert, suppress. They proclaim "equality", "tolerance" and "diversity", but they are anything but equal, tolerant or diverse.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 00:15 (Ref:3797615)   #38
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
As I said on another thread on here I normally watch the grid and the start and end, now I'll only watch the end !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Feb 2018, 00:39 (Ref:3797617)   #39
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
I mean seriously, you'd see them for all of 5 mins on the grid walk and during thr podium ceremony, not having them isn't going to fundamentally change the sport

The fact there's so much drama-rama says a lot more about the people outraged over it and their blinkered view of the world than it does liberty trying to get some good publicity for the sport by making a step towards equality.

Mark my words, in 20 years time we'll be looking back on grid girls and wincing as much as we do now to low cockpits with no seat belts, hay bales on track and various other things we look back on as relics of the past now.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 00:46 (Ref:3797619)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IndyCar doesn't have grid girls.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 02:11 (Ref:3797630)   #41
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I'm personally not thrilled with the idea, but there's no reason to discuss the reasons ad nauseum.

Don't know why they couldn't just have 10 men and 10 women in national garb holding up the numbers and smiling down the cameras. Oh well.

Here's a cute and novel idea - why not Grid Kids. The AFL Grand Final does it excellently, letting little kids in the team gear hand the players their winning medals after the game. As well as most AFL games with junior mascots. Why not have 20 youngens dressed in team gear? They don't have to be 3-5 year olds obviously for the safety reasons. Could be 10-14 year old kids who love F1, have a comp for every race, make it something the fans can engage with....

...or will that then start a debate on child oppression?

I guess there's now 20 less people that Martin Brundle has to shuffle through awkwardly on his excellent grid walks now at least.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 03:21 (Ref:3797643)   #42
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Understand how the left works. When they can't win the argument they have to ban, regulate, tax, oppress, subvert, suppress. They proclaim "equality", "tolerance" and "diversity", but they are anything but equal, tolerant or diverse.
Yup, spot on!

Basically any political affiliation looking to chase "cheap"votes, and / or scared of aggravating a lunatic fringe.

Current fad, feminism, denigrating anything male and belittling any woman who dares to disagree with the miserable feminist view of the human race.

News flash, men and woman are different, and some of them actually like one another!

This stupid political correctness is just sad for everybody.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 03:57 (Ref:3797647)   #43
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I'm not a very political person but I tend to agree. I've noticed a greater intolerance from those who claim to be Liberal, towards those with a differing point of view and not that that point of view is outrageous.

Now they've banned the grid girls, the teams could have one of the pit crew stand by the car. It keeps it in the family.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 04:14 (Ref:3797648)   #44
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I guess there's now 20 less people that Martin Brundle has to shuffle through awkwardly on his excellent grid walks now at least.
Nope just room for 20 more nobodies or wannabes
Old 2 Feb 2018, 05:25 (Ref:3797651)   #45
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Nope just room for 20 more nobodies or wannabes
Lewis Hamilton posse? 20 more Biebers? Nooooo!!
Old 2 Feb 2018, 07:17 (Ref:3797662)   #46
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'm not a very political person but I tend to agree. I've noticed a greater intolerance from those who claim to be Liberal, towards those with a differing point of view and not that that point of view is outrageous.

Now they've banned the grid girls, the teams could have one of the pit crew stand by the car. It keeps it in the family.

Not to keep banging on about this, but grid girls are not banned. There is no sporting or technical regulation outlawing grid girls. They are contractors to F1, and they are simply not coming back. If I stop hiring a builder as a contractor, builders are not banned.

This happens to, literally, thousands of contractors in every industry every year.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 08:01 (Ref:3797670)   #47
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
FFS take a step back and look at yourselves, this is becoming stupid. Aren't there more important things in the world - even in the not-very-important world of F1 - to foam at the mouth about?

I've never read such drivel as been posted here. "PC gone mad. " "Liberal Lefties. " This isn't a political statement it's simply that a commercial rights owner has taken a decision that some people agree with, some don't. As certain members of the UK community keep telling people who voted the other way: "You lost. Get over it."

Someone asked us to remember why we got into this sport in the first place. Errrrrrrr...could it have been the cars and the racing? To my mind, the more "glamour" someone puts up the worse the content that they want to hide.

Let the racing tell the story. If you want totty, go to a pole dancing club.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Feb 2018, 09:05 (Ref:3797674)   #48
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Take your son to an F1 race and they are going to come away feeling they could do any job there. Take your daughter and she is going to get a very different impression.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3797679)   #49
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Someone asked us to remember why we got into this sport in the first place. Errrrrrrr...could it have been the cars and the racing? To my mind, the more "glamour" someone puts up the worse the content that they want to hide.
While we're at it can we ditch the 'celebrities' from the grid too? They add nothing with their inevitable "I've never been to an F1 race before but it's really cool" quote.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 09:47 (Ref:3797683)   #50
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I er noticed that there were quite a few lycra catsuit models at the Autosport Show still, which struck me as a bit 'Max Power' era to me, to be honest!