Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Apr 2018, 08:39 (Ref:3817661)   #51
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
I would suggest Williams decided to cash-in on their name, brand image and fabulous F1 history some time ago.

Selling two drives to the highest bidders, combined with the income generated from the payments they receive as a "Special Status" F1 team, probably amounts to a considerable sum of money. Throw in a commercial sponsor like Martini and you've got yourself a nice little earner.

To keep costs down, they've probably built a "cheap but adequate" F1 car which is unlikely to get much in the way of up-dates across the season. Not a great strategy for the fans but I'm guessing it works for them......gives Frank's kids a good living I would imagine.

It's been a long time since Williams did anything of note on the race track so there must come a time when their "Special F1 Status" must surely lapse.
They've got 600 staff on the payroll, so I suggest they've built an expensive inadequate car!
Old 27 Apr 2018, 11:19 (Ref:3817693)   #52
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a matter of interest, are all 600 staff there just to support the F1 operation?

I know Williams have several other business interests, but I've no idea how many staff are exclusively dedicated to the F1 effort.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 11:44 (Ref:3817700)   #53
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
As a matter of interest, are all 600 staff there just to support the F1 operation?

I know Williams have several other business interests, but I've no idea how many staff are exclusively dedicated to the F1 effort.
From an interesting interview with CW..

ttps://www.racefans.net/2018/04/18/williams-exclusive-its-not-what-you-have-its-how-you-spend-it/

“Of course we came into the season believing that we were going to turn things around. Maybe it’s a case of managing expectations. I don’t believe it’s as simple as just plugging in a few senior heads. This is a big organisation, there’s some 600 people working in our Formula One team.
“Obviously we’ve got issues that could be percolating with them, just at the senior, senior level and we need to address those issues. To say ‘It’s not where we wanted to be’ is the grossest understatement that you could imagine.” It is visibly as painful for Claire as it sounds.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 14:08 (Ref:3817736)   #54
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the average salary is £50k then the payroll is £30 million per year.

I would think the money from Stroll and Sirotkin should cover that particular bill.
I don't know how much they receive from the Heritage Payments but I'm guessing it's considerable. Add the Martini money, plus other smaller sponsors, and I still think they'll be doing OK.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 14:20 (Ref:3817740)   #55
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I keep going back to the Williams documentary and thinking this is a fitting way for the team to be run. Frank was all business, kept his family at arms length, and was never as passionate about them as he was his team. Now Claire, who didn't get the passion from her father she should have, is running his team in a similar cold, business-like way as frank treated his family. Sort of turning the tables on Frank's way. I kinda like it.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3817742)   #56
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
If the average salary is £50k then the payroll is £30 million per year.

I would think the money from Stroll and Sirotkin should cover that particular bill.
I don't know how much they receive from the Heritage Payments but I'm guessing it's considerable. Add the Martini money, plus other smaller sponsors, and I still think they'll be doing OK.
Currently yes, but look ahead to 2019 - no Martini, less FOM income and maybe Stroll has walked - currently in FP2 at Baku he is telling them the car is undriveable...
Old 31 May 2018, 08:28 (Ref:3825822)   #57
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
The plan, is to let go one of F1's best aerodynamicists. Sacked after only one season.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...aves-team.html

Old 31 May 2018, 09:10 (Ref:3825826)   #58
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Judging by the car, 'best aerodynamicist' is quite the stretch.

Old 31 May 2018, 11:34 (Ref:3825853)   #59
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Judging by the car, 'best aerodynamicist' is quite the stretch.
He was definitely in the top 10 of aerodynamicists before he departed....

Although it was noted by a poster in the forum here that Ferrari benefitted in the aero department after he departed them too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
[...]new aero rules were introduced for 2017, [...] Ferrari benefitted from the rule change for sure.

Old 31 May 2018, 11:54 (Ref:3825856)   #60
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
How influential was he? It he wasn’t highly regarded at Ferrari, was he that good?
Old 31 May 2018, 14:21 (Ref:3825881)   #61
littleman
Veteran

Apparently,in 2018, there are 2,208 individual billionaires in this World. My guess is then that there must be hundreds of thousands of Millionaires as a minimum.

I reckon there are no more than 6 F1 drives available for sale, 2 of which are at Williams.

I'm thinking demand for F1 drives, even from a tiny percentage of the above filthy rich, is certain to outstrip supply.

Williams plan is clearly to milk these suckers dry....why else would you put up with the likes of Stroll.
Old 31 May 2018, 14:36 (Ref:3825883)   #62
littleman
Veteran

That said, if someones giving you £15million quid a year you could at least be arsed to tighten their headrest up properly.......poor kid.
Old 31 May 2018, 18:46 (Ref:3825908)   #63
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
That said, if someones giving you £15million quid a year you could at least be arsed to tighten their headrest up properly.......poor kid.
Headrest tightening is gonna cost ya an extra 1 million. Everyone knows that.
Old 31 May 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3825922)   #64
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
He was definitely in the top 10 of aerodynamicists before he departed....
Top 10 aerodynamicist of 10 teams.

That's not saying much, isn't it?
Old 1 Jun 2018, 00:16 (Ref:3825941)   #65
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I think that may have been the joke....
Old 1 Jun 2018, 03:50 (Ref:3825954)   #66
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I think that may have been the joke....
Old 1 Jun 2018, 10:21 (Ref:3825993)   #67
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Headrest tightening is gonna cost ya an extra 1 million. Everyone knows that.

Yep, maybe it is like a well known van rental company that many years ago I once went to hire a van from at the price writ large outside the depot, apparently for which I could indeed hire the van, but not unlock the door, drive it or put anything in it, all of which were extras....
Old 1 Jun 2018, 10:24 (Ref:3825995)   #68
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why, on this, I see shadows of Walter Wolf behind Stroll...
Why, oh why.
Old 2 Jun 2018, 05:52 (Ref:3826156)   #69
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps the deal with Porsche is already done, and the squad is doing the next 3 seasons on the cheap until the massive pay.. transformation shows up
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Jun 2018, 00:39 (Ref:3827896)   #70
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Williams F1 Team have won the race!

The annual F1 raft race that is. We will probably never hear that said about Williams F1 on track for a long, long time.

Old 10 Jun 2018, 08:34 (Ref:3828030)   #71
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Williams F1 Team have won the race!
Some highlights...

https://www.facebook.com/Formula1/vi...7431437747171/

Hmm.. can't see any team red shirts?

Old 19 Jun 2018, 14:18 (Ref:3831894)   #72
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Apparently PL is now saying they will make 'good progress' by the 'summer break', it was supposed to be by Spain wasn't it! And they are working on the 2019 car as well!
Old 21 Jun 2018, 08:18 (Ref:3832285)   #73
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They must recover the sponsorship of Canon.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 08:20 (Ref:3832286)   #74
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Quote:
Some highlights...

https://www.facebook.com/Formula1/vi...7431437747171/

Hmm.. can't see any team red shirts?

That looks more "Jeux Sans Frontières" than F1.
Old 26 Jun 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3833198)   #75
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
trying to think of something positive to say like nice attempt at trying a 1 stop strategy...

but really its more like what were they thinking trying a 1-stop strategy after lap 1!!!

and why put both cars on the same gamble?

and why not adapt after noticing the issues of a flat spot/vibrations on Strolls car?

i am at a loss. they dont even look to be trying!