Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Apr 2018, 14:18 (Ref:3816190)   #126
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm surprised more drivers don't cover the inside line as tight as they could, like right up to the inside track limits.

If there is zero gap down the inside then the overtaking driver has no choice but to switch to the outside line.He'll be hoping to cut back and gain a better exit.Either that or go right around the outside.

The defending driver still holds all the cards though because he can afford to brake earlier and position his car in such away that his adversary can't turn in until he does. If he tries to run right around the outside then the defending driver can just run him wide at the exit.

The key factor for the defending driver is not to brake ultra late and miss the apex. He actually needs to brake earlier, keep his car alongside and in the process take control of when his adversary can turn in.

Most defending drivers get sucked into "The last of the late brakers" scenario when actually the opposite is required.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3816192)   #127
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not sure how much life SV had left in his tires to take anything other than wide and slow. he was effectively nursing a damaged car to the finish line and was using a different line.

imo Max should have realized this and recognized the gap wasnt really a gap as SV would be turning back onto the normal racing line/clean part of the track.

Alonso on the other hand struck a bit earlier and was able to gain position and SV quite rightly had to back off. im sure SV would have braked harder if he could have in order to take back the exit but going off track was his best escape/back out move given the condition of his car imo.

i see those as two different situations..but who knows maybe thats just bias/favoritism towards Alonso.

as for Kempi's question...agreed the techniques around the late braking move are known...i felt his question was more about what attributes DR has that allows him to seemingly pull this moves of more frequently and more cleanly then others.

is he a better athlete, stronger legs, longer legs, bigger stones etc types of questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Ross Brawn and Ron Dennis would run the strategies in their heads.
indeed!
Old 17 Apr 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3816216)   #128
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks chilli, that is exactly it.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 18:26 (Ref:3816228)   #129
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
The best overtake of the race was Bottas on Raikkonen, yet he's not getting the headlines he deserves for it.

The move was absolutely sublime.
He positioned his car perfectly, lost no traction or momentum and gave Kimi all the room they both required.

It was so perfect it was all too easy to overlook.Sure the Red Bull drivers pulled off some exciting stuff, not Max so much, but none had the understated class of the Bottas move.
Yes. Not taking anything way from Ricciardo’s move, which was sublime, but Bottas’s had more to it.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 04:50 (Ref:3816294)   #130
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also had Kimi backing out of the contest with Seb which made him much slower in comparison.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 05:02 (Ref:3816296)   #131
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The best overtake of the race was Bottas on Raikkonen, yet he's not getting the headlines he deserves for it.

The move was absolutely sublime.
He positioned his car perfectly, lost no traction or momentum and gave Kimi all the room they both required.

It was so perfect it was all too easy to overlook.Sure the Red Bull drivers pulled off some exciting stuff, not Max so much, but none had the understated class of the Bottas move.
It was a good move no doubt, but given the tyre condition of Raikkonen having suffered from being the Ferrari sacrificial lamb and left circulating on old rubber in the hope he might be able to help Vettel by holding Bottas up, it is not as though the cars were of equal performance and grip. Kimi was struggling to do 39's and Bottas, on relatively fresh rubber was lapping in mid 37's. Kimi did not have the car to offer any real resistance.

Mind you the key factor in the Ricciardo moves, although opportunistic was also more a tyre influence.... the Bottas move also assisted by Bottas backing out at the end to save a collision. Had it been Ricciardo and Hamilton the result would have been tears.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 08:38 (Ref:3816310)   #132
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Every overtaking manoeuvre in the race was totally influenced by each drivers relevant tyre degradation situation. Same in Bahrain, same at every GP.

In fact if Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull are all on exactly the same tyres, with exactly the same amount of degradation, then none of them have any chance of overtaking each other.

That is such an absolute fact that I'm very surprised how poor the top teams are at working it out...and quickly. Mercedes, in particular. seem very dim in this respect.

Everybody knows a tyre change under the safety car is effectively a free stop.Everybody also knows that tyre degradation has a profound effect on lap times.More than any other single factor by some margin. Top teams spend millions on finding tenths of a second but don't seem to realise quickly enough that a set of new tyres can find 2 seconds or more instantly.

The only GP where track position is everything is probably Monaco.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 09:02 (Ref:3816313)   #133
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Every overtaking manoeuvre in the race was totally influenced by each drivers relevant tyre degradation situation. Same in Bahrain, same at every GP.
Except for:

OCO/STR Lap-6
VAN/SIR Lap-5
Old 19 Apr 2018, 06:10 (Ref:3816452)   #134
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
Agreed as well. And it was not one of the divebombs that both Red Bull drivers practice. The main difference is that Ricciardo manages to hit the apex where Verstappen usually does not and pushes the outside line driver away.

The thing that amazes me: how can Ricciardo's Red Bull brake so late compared to other cars and still hit the apex? Question of a lift and cost situation where the leading driver feels "too safe"? The way Ricciardo usually does this is by braking a good 5-10m later than the others and basically coming out of nowhere.
Surely someone will turn in on him at some point. Whilst there is skill imvolved in his moves and a 'killer instinct' he iz also looking for the element of surprise.

All it will take is for another driver to not be using his mirrors and there will be a shunt.
Old 19 Apr 2018, 06:51 (Ref:3816458)   #135
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe when cars can follow each other closely, he will be able to take less risks with his moves. That said I don't think his moves are too risky, unlike some of Max's
Old 19 Apr 2018, 14:54 (Ref:3816514)   #136
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
but surely preferable to all overtaking being influenced by DRS zones no?
Old 19 Apr 2018, 15:17 (Ref:3816517)   #137
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:

In fact if Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull are all on exactly the same tyres, with exactly the same amount of degradation, then none of them have any chance of overtaking each other.

That is such an absolute fact that I'm very surprised how poor the top teams are at working it out...and quickly. Mercedes, in particular. seem very dim in this respect.

Everybody knows a tyre change under the safety car is effectively a free stop.Everybody also knows that tyre degradation has a profound effect on lap times.More than any other single factor by some margin. Top teams spend millions on finding tenths of a second but don't seem to realise quickly enough that a set of new tyres can find 2 seconds or more instantly.

The only GP where track position is everything is probably Monaco.
apologizes on the selective use of your post there.

just re read it and absolutely agree with the larger point you were making. my previous post didnt reflect that.
Old 19 Apr 2018, 19:04 (Ref:3816544)   #138
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
but surely preferable to all overtaking being influenced by DRS zones no?
Yes!
Old 19 Apr 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3816546)   #139
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
His moves don’t look that risky though. They tend to be assertive so the other driver is in no doubt, but also well executed so there is no lock up and allowing the other driver to react sensibly and have the room to react.

Yes, other drivers may not see, but that risk is there for any overtake. Other than just blast plast on the straight an out brake is one of the safest. Especially if the attacker doesn’t lock up with Ricciardo seems to rarely do.

And we don’t want to not see overtaking.
Old 20 Apr 2018, 09:45 (Ref:3816627)   #140
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm a bit late to the party (and I still haven't seen the post-race interviews and analysis) but I have to throw in a few comments.

Red Bull were lucky that the safety car came out just when it did. The Red Bull drivers were lucky that the team reacted so quickly to the safety car.

When it comes to out-braking, Verstappen seems to think that different laws of physics apply to him. In Ricciardo's case, different laws of physics do apply!

Verstappen's mistakes and outbursts show that he has a greater sense of entitlement than that shared by all F1 drivers. But he is different to other young drivers reaching the top in motor-racing because he is a completely manufactured product, created by Jos Verstappen from the moment he was weaned.

I thought the Verstappen/Vettel contact was just a racing incident. Maybe not 50/50 but Vettel could have avoided it by giving a bit more room. Later in the race, he jumped off the track completely when Alonso came barging through.

Bottas drove a superb race, but being smooth and understated, he perhaps doesn't get the credit he deserves. He's more Prost than Senna.

It must be frustrating for poor Raikkonen. He's driving as well as he ever has yet he's already cast in the number two role to help Vettel win the championship. You have to be a selfish person to get into F1 at all, so I find it hard to understand how the likes of Irvine, Barrichello, Massa and Kimi can tolerate that situation.
Old 20 Apr 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3816649)   #141
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote "You have to be a selfish person to get into F1 at all, so I find it hard to understand how the likes of Irvine, Barrichello, Massa and Kimi can tolerate that situation." Quote.

I think "big money" is the answer.
I saw a documentary once on Eddie Irvine..he admitted to being No2..and then said..
"So would you if you saw what I was being paid to do it".
Old 20 Apr 2018, 15:41 (Ref:3816671)   #142
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
I think "big money" is the answer.
I saw a documentary once on Eddie Irvine..he admitted to being No2..and then said..
"So would you if you saw what I was being paid to do it".
I would agree, the sums of money involved could be very persuasive. But these guys are very ego-driven and it seems a bit feeble to battle all the way to F1 and then say "I'll just sit back now and take the money."

Massa got his day in the sun after several years of brown-nosing Schumacher. Irvine and Barrichello never did get a proper shot at being a No 1 in a competitive team (ignoring the time when Schumacher broke his leg). Kimi has been right to the top of the tree, he's still got the speed yet he finds himself in a role where he just has to ensure Vettel gets as many points as possible and Hamilton as few as possible. I find it hard to believe he's doing it for the money as he walked away from a F1 salary once before when he fancied rallying instead, though I'll admit I can't think of another plausible explanation.
Old 20 Apr 2018, 21:22 (Ref:3816693)   #143
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I thought the Verstappen/Vettel contact was just a racing incident. Maybe not 50/50 but Vettel could have avoided it by giving a bit more room. Later in the race, he jumped off the track completely when Alonso came barging through.
Having watched some replays, I've revised my opinion on Verstappen v Vettel. Seb left more than a car's width (inadvertently) but Max didn't have sufficient control to keep his car within the space. I'm still amazed that Fred got away with his move on Vettel though.
Old 22 Apr 2018, 10:09 (Ref:3816879)   #144
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I would agree, the sums of money involved could be very persuasive. But these guys are very ego-driven and it seems a bit feeble to battle all the way to F1 and then say "I'll just sit back now and take the money."

Massa got his day in the sun after several years of brown-nosing Schumacher. Irvine and Barrichello never did get a proper shot at being a No 1 in a competitive team (ignoring the time when Schumacher broke his leg). Kimi has been right to the top of the tree, he's still got the speed yet he finds himself in a role where he just has to ensure Vettel gets as many points as possible and Hamilton as few as possible. I find it hard to believe he's doing it for the money as he walked away from a F1 salary once before when he fancied rallying instead, though I'll admit I can't think of another plausible explanation.
Think most of these guys are realistic enough to admit that there is nothing that can be done with most of the cars on the grid, so collect the money, do as you are told and live a long, happy and prosperous life. There is no possible reward for dragging most of the cars on the grid around.

Barrichello and Irvine were never the best of the best, and yet they made very good livings out of F1 and got good results even if they paid second fiddle to Schumacher. They would never have beaten him consistently in an equal car anyway.