Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Apr 2018, 14:12 (Ref:3816361)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
General Motors

I think I know the answer to this, but have any GM brands ever competed in Formula 1?
Old 18 Apr 2018, 14:36 (Ref:3816365)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Brabham Repco engine was originally a Buick all Aluminium V8.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 15:58 (Ref:3816374)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Ahhhhh! But never any official presence? (I’m excluding the Indy 500 from 1950-60.)
Old 18 Apr 2018, 16:03 (Ref:3816375)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, not according to Wiki, usual caveats apply.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 16:06 (Ref:3816376)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Was Lamborghini under Chrysler control during its ill-fated entry? (I’m thinking the Big Three: obviously Ford went in hard with the DFV and beyond.)
Old 18 Apr 2018, 16:14 (Ref:3816377)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Possibly but it was still not branded GM.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 16:16 (Ref:3816378)   #7
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
No, Chrysler were never part of GM. Big Three: GM, Ford, Chrysler (later DaimlerChrysler).
Old 18 Apr 2018, 16:27 (Ref:3816381)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Sorry I misread you.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 16:37 (Ref:3816383)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Easily done! My prose is not always as limpid as it could be.
Old 19 Apr 2018, 00:45 (Ref:3816437)   #10
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to a search on the interwebs: Nope. GM has never done anything in the realm of F1
Old 19 Apr 2018, 06:50 (Ref:3816457)   #11
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The isuzu v12 engine that Lotus tried in '91. Don't think GM owned isuzu at the time?
Old 19 Apr 2018, 11:55 (Ref:3816482)   #12
dan_ferguson
Rookie

dan_ferguson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't Lotus owned by GM around the time of the Isuzu project?
Old 19 Apr 2018, 12:13 (Ref:3816488)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_ferguson View Post
Wasn't Lotus owned by GM around the time of the Isuzu project?
Isuzu might have been, not sure about Lotus. But certainly what we’re saying is that GM has never had any *major* involvement in F1.
Old 20 Apr 2018, 15:10 (Ref:3816664)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
You’re probably thinking of the Opel/Vauxhall Lotus series that ran in the 90s.

I can’t think of any GM brands in F1 either
Old 20 Apr 2018, 15:40 (Ref:3816670)   #15
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
didnt GM own Lotus for a bit in the 80s?

but i guess the race team was always separate.
Old 20 Apr 2018, 21:30 (Ref:3816695)   #16
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They owned Lotus Cars at one time, but never Team Lotus. (Team Lotus was always in Chapman hands, never a part of the public limited company.)
Old 21 Apr 2018, 09:07 (Ref:3816758)   #17
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Chev powered cars won the 1969 Madrid F1 GP & the 1973 Race of Champions,they were of course non championship races,but F1 races all the same...
Old 21 Apr 2018, 10:12 (Ref:3816773)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes but they were also F5000 engines.
Old 21 Apr 2018, 19:19 (Ref:3816825)   #19
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I know.....I was stretching a very long bow...
Old 24 Apr 2018, 07:37 (Ref:3817121)   #20
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The Brabham Repco engine was originally a Buick all Aluminium V8.
Now I understand why Rikky von O. raced for them in 1974
Old 24 Apr 2018, 07:39 (Ref:3817123)   #21
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When Jose Froilan Gonzalez was paid by Maranello with a Ferrari car to Argentina, he fitted it with a Corvette engine.
With that car he won the 1958-59 Torneo Triangular Sudamericano, his main single-seater title after F1, in an F1 car.