Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Apr 2018, 21:08 (Ref:3817564)   #1
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Drink Competition Safety Car?

I see the idea being talked about on the interweb,when the race is boring bring out the safety car and bunch them up.
Good idea or a step to far too 'artificalise' a race?.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 22:51 (Ref:3817579)   #2
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Looking at the voting on the Rate the Race thread for the Chinese GP, you would have to say that your safety car proposal is excellent.
Better at shaking up the race than any other method, and popular apparently.

Random number generator for the lap on which a safety car intervention will take place, and a second dip for where in the field the car will insert itself.
E.G. Lap 20 position 5.

Apparently what is wanted according to the rating of the Chinese GP.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 23:23 (Ref:3817582)   #3
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just shows how far Formula 1 has fallen.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 23:33 (Ref:3817584)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Eeeek. F1 gets more like NASCAR every day, with their 'competition yellow' at a fixed lap number.

All a bit too contrived for me when it goes that far, although I have to admit the yellow spiced up a potential borefest in China.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 00:25 (Ref:3817590)   #5
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Clearly the answer is to place boxes randomly on the track that drivers can run over. Each box has some type of power up like a Koopa shell, Banana peel, etc. that drivers can use during the race. Everyone has an equal chance. Nothing artificial at all.

It’s a proven solution and I am puzzled as to why they haven’t tried it yet.

Richard
Old 27 Apr 2018, 05:05 (Ref:3817631)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Surely there's a revenue stream here? Fans can call a premium rate number during the race to decide when the safety car/banana peel/rockets are deployed.

There is precedent of course, thanks to Formula E fan boost.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 27 Apr 2018, 05:42 (Ref:3817632)   #7
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Remember when Bernie suggested random water sprinklers many moons ago....
Old 27 Apr 2018, 06:59 (Ref:3817639)   #8
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Remember when Bernie suggested random water sprinklers many moons ago....
Is that really moons, or should it be moans?
Old 27 Apr 2018, 10:10 (Ref:3817679)   #9
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's a fine idea...if you don't want to be a serious motorsport.

That's why BTCC can do reverse grid, drawing numbers out of a hat. It's embraced the fact that it really isn't that serious a series anymore (although I'm sure it is to the competitors). It's kinda like a comedy act. And that's fine. So it depends on what they want F1 to be.

Same goes for Formula E. Super-duper serious sport...where the driver who gets the most hashtag twitter fanboost points gets extra power. Decide what tone you want the series to be - you can't have it all ways.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3817711)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
No way, we just need less aero. Introducing a competition SC is not F1. If it happens all the time, it will lose the novelty of it being a potential race changer. They should though get rid of the free pass rule
Old 27 Apr 2018, 12:26 (Ref:3817713)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
No no no no no no no no no. Have I made myself clear? No.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 18:01 (Ref:3817766)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Looking at the voting on the Rate the Race thread for the Chinese GP, you would have to say that your safety car proposal is excellent.
Better at shaking up the race than any other method, and popular apparently.

Random number generator for the lap on which a safety car intervention will take place, and a second dip for where in the field the car will insert itself.
E.G. Lap 20 position 5.

Apparently what is wanted according to the rating of the Chinese GP.
I get your point, but i don’t think there is a contradiction.

I am against this suggestion. If F1 is to remain a sport then it should be allowed that a race can develop in a boring manner naturally where a team and driver can dominate becaus they are doing a better job. However if required, for normal random reasons, a SC is required I am not going to turn it off at that point. I am also going to enjoy it if it becomes interesting.

The issue here is whether you purposely and artificially cause the interest or if it is random.

FWIW I don’t mind a competition in NASCAR. Is that contradictory too? No, I expect different things from that series.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 18:55 (Ref:3817776)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's a bad idea, they use it in NASCAR and on occasion in IndyCar. It will be seen as another artificial gimmick, rather than actually dealing with issues F1 faces.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 19:04 (Ref:3817778)   #14
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Brilliant idea, but only when positions one and two pass the pit entry..
Old 27 Apr 2018, 21:30 (Ref:3817799)   #15
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about drawing grid positions out of a hat that way you should get away from the fastest cars always being at the front of the grid and the engineers would have to design cars that can overtake.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 00:02 (Ref:3817807)   #16
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Brilliant idea, but only when positions one and two pass the pit entry..
That one has been done already.

Almost all the cars had driven past the debris twice. Then waited for the two leaders to drive past pit entry before they put out the SC.

Sounds like a 'competition safety car' to me.

Old 28 Apr 2018, 04:48 (Ref:3817827)   #17
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fix the cause, not the symptom.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3817918)   #18
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
No no no no no no no no no. Have I made myself clear? No.

Old 29 Apr 2018, 01:05 (Ref:3817981)   #19
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
^^^^ And yet you gave it an 8 TrapezeArtist.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 08:00 (Ref:3818003)   #20
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
^^^^ And yet you gave it an 8 TrapezeArtist.
No, he didn't. He gave a race a rating of 8 that had a naturally produced safety car in it. There's a difference between a naturally produced safety car and a safety car that's called purely for entertainment purposes. And even then he rated a race, not a proposal for a rule change.

What is it with people deliberately taking things out of context to start arguments nowadays?
Old 29 Apr 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3818058)   #21
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
No, he didn't. He gave a race a rating of 8 that had a naturally produced safety car in it. There's a difference between a naturally produced safety car and a safety car that's called purely for entertainment purposes. And even then he rated a race, not a proposal for a rule change.

What is it with people deliberately taking things out of context to start arguments nowadays?
Natural?

Two laps after an event a safety car is triggered in such a manner as to deliberately prejudice the leaders.

Sorry not buying it.

Perfectly natural for a competition safety car".
Old 29 Apr 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3818063)   #22
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Yeah, and I get that - your opinion is that that SC was a bit of a fix. I see your point, and I'm not saying your wrong. However, that isn't what you said. You said he voted for it before (which is wrong, he certainly did not) and he may hold an opinion you don't agree with, which doesn't make him wrong. If you're going to dig back in peoples post history to try and cause arguments, at least be accurate about what that person said rather than literally make it up.

TrapezeArtist thought the race was entertaining. He also does not want a competition safety car rule. It really isn't that hard to understand, unless you're being deliberately difficult.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 11:50 (Ref:3818066)   #23
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Yeah, and I get that - your opinion is that that SC was a bit of a fix. I see your point, and I'm not saying your wrong. However, that isn't what you said. You said he voted for it before (which is wrong, he certainly did not) and he may hold an opinion you don't agree with, which doesn't make him wrong. If you're going to dig back in peoples post history to try and cause arguments, at least be accurate about what that person said rather than literally make it up.

TrapezeArtist thought the race was entertaining. He also does not want a competition safety car rule. It really isn't that hard to understand, unless you're being deliberately difficult.
Okay, I take your point, let's let it rest here.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 16:00 (Ref:3818152)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Another race I enjoyed that had SC. I still don’t want competition SC.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 18:14 (Ref:3818196)   #25
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Competition caution is supposed to be for safety reasons(I know - yeah, right) to be bed in the tyres after practice, qualfying or some such has been washed out. The stage stuff is what NASCAR does now and is the reason I've fallen into indifference on it.

So, no, I don't care for that. Just aero design rules that makes 'em racey and have a proper race lasting an hour plus.