Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What's your score for the Spanish Grand Prix?
10 0 0%
9 0 0%
8 0 0%
7 2 5.26%
6 4 10.53%
5 5 13.16%
4 5 13.16%
3 7 18.42%
2 9 23.68%
1 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 May 2018, 23:26 (Ref:3822460)   #26
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think we might see Sky gone sometime
I have an account with Formula1.com and recently got an e-mail saying, if I sign up to the F1 TV Access package I will get 10% off, which translates at £0.86 per race but I hear other Tenthers saying it is really glitchy.
Old 15 May 2018, 10:32 (Ref:3822563)   #27
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I only saw the highlights (such as they were). A 3 from me - not very much going on really. Grosjean brain fart, Alonso around the outside of Ocon then fade to grey.
Old 15 May 2018, 16:36 (Ref:3822629)   #28
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
FIA should just adopt the WEC FCY system. It has it's flaws but nothing is perfect and it's much much better than this VSC crap.
FCY is a fixed speed, like the pit lane limiter - I think it's 60kph. VSC requires the driver to hit a specific delta time displayed on the in-car display on the steering wheel, which allows for a bit of variance.

Personally I'd go for the FCY every time when it's my backside over the wall dealing with something trackside. Plus it's pretty impressive watching the cars leap from an identical trundle to racing speed in a split second once the countdown to green ends!
Old 15 May 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3822664)   #29
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the VSC works fine, gives marshals time to clear up an incident without usually compromising the race. Certainly it’s easier for the marshals and better for the spectators
Old 15 May 2018, 19:15 (Ref:3822674)   #30
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i dont want to diminish the marshals' need for safety but i do think there is something to be said for bunching up the field and getting everyone back on the lead lap even if it takes a few extra laps to accomplish.

50sec separating LH and DRic in 5th, with three others 1 lap down, and the rest 2-3 laps down.

this is a perhaps a problem made worse by this particular circuit so i wont attempt to justify a rule change based on this one race but short of meaningful rules changes something else has got to give imo.
Old 15 May 2018, 19:22 (Ref:3822676)   #31
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There is a case though for not letting backmarkers unlap themselves. I think it’s fairer at times to have the VSC. If you’re a lap down then tough. Also SCs are no longer unnecessarily used since the introduction of VSC
Old 15 May 2018, 19:24 (Ref:3822678)   #32
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
What is the difference and benefit?
Much safer and much less variance. Everyone just goes on the limiter and stays there.

I think one of the problems is perhaps that the shitty tyres need constant weaving to keep up the temperature
Old 15 May 2018, 21:33 (Ref:3822703)   #33
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
.... there is something to be said for bunching up the field and getting everyone back on the lead lap even if it takes a few extra laps to accomplish....
There is NOTHING to be said good about it. It is completely contrary to the concept of a sport. Randomly taking away an advantage that a driver has built up on merit.

I didn't know about the FCY but the speed limiter idea is just what I was advocating several years ago. Let's do it! And introduce a no weaving rule too. Cold tyres? Tough. It's the same for everyone. Deal with it!
Old 15 May 2018, 22:00 (Ref:3822711)   #34
S griffin
Veteran

The only good thing is it prevents red flags. So that’s a price to pay. I can’t see FCY being adopted. And warming of tyres has always happened and always will
Old 15 May 2018, 23:47 (Ref:3822721)   #35
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
There is NOTHING to be said good about it. It is completely contrary to the concept of a sport. Randomly taking away an advantage that a driver has built up on merit.
on one hand i completely agree. on the other hand i cant pretend LH's time advantage was built up purely by his own merit.

we can talk about modifying tracks to create closer racing, we can say get rid of aero and the hundreds of millions of dollars worth of development advantage some teams have, we can talk about budget caps, resource restrictions and fair wealth distribution etc etc.

at the end of the day these are all artificial suggestions aimed at removing advantages confirmed onto one team over another because one has more money and for me money isnt sport.

this is a big business sport (and probably now days more entertainment then sport) so it always going to be hard to reconcile these sorts of ideas.
Old 16 May 2018, 07:28 (Ref:3822762)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
on one hand i completely agree. on the other hand i cant pretend LH's time advantage was built up purely by his own merit.
Puzzled by that one. By whose merit did he build it up then?
Old 16 May 2018, 14:33 (Ref:3822860)   #37
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Puzzled by that one. By whose merit did he build it up then?
i just meant that, all things being equal, the top three teams enjoy a massive car advantage so its not just down to the driver.

for example, Alonso finished 1 lap down compared to the podium sitters and he is one of the highest rated drivers on the grid...anyways i dont think im saying anything out of the ordinary by suggesting the cars themselves played a role in the large time gaps we saw in the race.

also i was probably rebuffing the notion of what actually constitutes an 'artificial suggestion/rule' in a manufacturing based sport.

in other words, mainly just stuff i am prone to talk about in the aftermath of a sub par race...if this race was better i would be saying 'dont change a thing'!
Old 16 May 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3822863)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A driver can only perform faultlessly, in whatever circumstances he finds himself. By that token, he did it entirely by his own merit, IMO. (But I understand your thinking).
Old 16 May 2018, 20:05 (Ref:3822912)   #39
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What about the team and driver built up the advantage on their own merit? This being the point of the sport.
Old 16 May 2018, 20:08 (Ref:3822913)   #40
S griffin
Veteran

Yes F1 rewards skill and hardwork. It’s stupid to give it up for the sake of it