Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Jul 2011, 09:15 (Ref:2925914)   #301
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Whilst they may go separately in some areas there will certainly be some common parts between Audi and Porsches cars as it would make no financial sense to build them totally independently
Corrected it for you.

If you have followed the VAG PR on this very subject, you will have read that Porsche is responsible for the development of the sportscar platforms for the Group.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...s-for-vw-group
Old 13 Jul 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2926149)   #302
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Corrected it for you.

If you have followed the VAG PR on this very subject, you will have read that Porsche is responsible for the development of the sportscar platforms for the Group.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...s-for-vw-group
That appears to be road cars and doesn't necessarily mean race cars.

I also heard what Chris from Audi said during the Le Mans pit visit when he made it clear that if another P1 programme arrived from VAG there would be some common parts where it made sense but also individual design where appropriate - It would not simply be a badge engineering project.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2926154)   #303
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought you meant sportscar in general.
As for the LMP program, we will have to wait and see.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 19:10 (Ref:2926185)   #304
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I thought you meant sportscar in general.
No sorry if I was unclear, but the thread is about the Porsche P1 programme
Old 13 Jul 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2926217)   #305
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Yes, but never-the-less, my correction still stands.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2928862)   #306
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone provide a good translation of what Romain Dumas is trying to say about the Porsche LMP1 and his future in LMP1 in this article? Unfortunately, Google Translate and Babelfish are not working well with this article. Unrelated, but I can tell that he is still angry at the GT cars for not moving over! I don't know, maybe his criticisms are unfair, but I can't really comment because the translation is really bad.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 09:13 (Ref:2928870)   #307
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
I cleaned up the translation provided by google translate a bit.
Quote:
In two years, Porsche is back in LMP1. What inspires the comeback?
"This is what many people expected. The myth returns in the premier class. It is clear that there will be a lot of work in the future. Porsche will not restart from scratch because the RS Spyder is not far. For me 2014 is far and I do not want to miss the 2012 and 2013 editions. Maybe in 2014 I will do a stint in an Audi and one in a Porsche (laughs). My heart beats for Porsche. Being small, I still remember the images of the Audi Group B rally, while for Porsche it is the 956 and 962C. I wrote a page at Porsche with the RS Spyder, but I miss a Le Mans victory with this brand. It is a big big challenge. In the meantime, I will not get through the next two editions mancelles."
I have a hard time finding a correct translation for the word "mancelle". According to http://www.langtolang.com/dictionary...glish/mancelle it means chain or belt, but that word does not fit the concept.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 09:28 (Ref:2928873)   #308
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks. It's interesting, but I don't know what to make of what Dumas is saying. Is there a possibility that he won't be driving an LMP1 in 2012 and 2013? Then again, he jokes about driving a stint in both Audis and Porsches in 2014, so who knows. I'm not even sure if he knows what is going on exactly!

Maybe he is trying to say that he won't survive being locked out of the 24 hours the next two years? I don't know. Just a guess. It kind of goes with belt/chain. Kind of!
Old 20 Jul 2011, 12:00 (Ref:2928947)   #309
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
I cleaned up the translation provided by google translate a bit.
I have a hard time finding a correct translation for the word "mancelle". According to http://www.langtolang.com/dictionary...glish/mancelle it means chain or belt, but that word does not fit the concept.
... "mancelle" relates to / corresponds with "residents of the commune of Le Mans"...

Old 20 Jul 2011, 19:06 (Ref:2929111)   #310
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think that Romain would want to sit idle the next couple of years waiting for the Porsche program to come on line. That might be about the only co-operation that Audi and Porsche might have--let Timo and Romain run the R18 at LM and elsewhere until at least LM '13 to keep them sharp, and then they might go back to Porsche.

But as Dumas himself said, 2014 is still, in terms of this sport, a very long time away.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 06:27 (Ref:2929276)   #311
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Yes, but the issue is that as 2014 approaches, and both companies are developing their cars under the 2014 regulations, the current desire for cooperation may not be so forthcoming.
Both companies will try and keep their "secrets" under their belts , and so may not want drivers jumping from one car to another.
Anyway, that scenario is still some way off.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 16:59 (Ref:2929485)   #312
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from autonews interview to porsche ceo Muller

When will you get back into a high-profile motor sports such as DTM or Formula One?

A motor sports strategy has to exist from the ground up. Porsche is far and away the most successful brand in the brand cup arena. This is where we reap the greatest enthusiasm while having a profitable business at the same time. This is what we want to nurture and develop. I have a very critical stance toward Formula One. Long-distance and endurance motor sports seems to me to be far more attractive. Audi is very active here and will not want to relinquish this position. But that's the way things are for us as a successful Group. The fact is there are only four attractive categories – but we have 10 brands. That means that we may have to compete against a sister brand at Le Mans.

Old 21 Jul 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2929489)   #313
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You may also see VW competing against Skoda in the WRC, only they would likely share technology.

Le Mans is the only arena two brands can compete, and each use different technology.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 23:36 (Ref:2929650)   #314
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Tbh, I don't see the problem. Having 2 strong brands in LMP1 will leave less of a chance for non-VAG brands to win. And anyway Audi and Porsche make (mostly) different kind of road cars, so there's no real competition there. And they can bring in the Lambo as well
Old 21 Jul 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2929652)   #315
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would have thought the more competition there is, the better.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 07:04 (Ref:2929697)   #316
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
This is Murphy's take on things:
http://murphythebear.com/blog/index....ut-what-is-it/
Old 22 Jul 2011, 08:17 (Ref:2929713)   #317
PorscheCurves
Racer

Australia
Sydney
PorscheCurves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Pretty good read that.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2931943)   #318
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wonder how the cancellation of LMP-1 will affect Porsche's decision of returning to Prototype racing?
Old 27 Jul 2011, 22:43 (Ref:2931954)   #319
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb View Post
I wonder how the cancellation of LMP-1 will affect Porsche's decision of returning to Prototype racing?
No worries LMP1 is only being cancelled in the LMS. Porsche is running in the WEC. i dont think any manufacturers have interest in the LMs which is why they probably binned the class.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2932148)   #320
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In Autosports article about Penske running Porsches, it's said Penske were in talks with Audi about running an R18 at Le Mans this year.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 15:58 (Ref:2932156)   #321
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
No worries LMP1 is only being cancelled in the LMS. Porsche is running in the WEC. i dont think any manufacturers have interest in the LMs which is why they probably binned the class.

They can also unbin it if enough P1's start to want race states side.

But for that to happen Porsche would need to sell customer cars as would Aston and Toyota. Thats all assuming any of them make the light of day or can turn a wheel more than once.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2932182)   #322
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
In Autosports article about Penske running Porsches, it's said Penske were in talks with Audi about running an R18 at Le Mans this year.

Ancient news. Penske, Highcroft and I believe Wayne Taylor were in talks to run all of ALMS, and LM... but Audi NA said no to the funding.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2932234)   #323
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Issue with that was that it was confirmed that Penske and the others were in talks to run grandfathered R15s in the ALMS this year.

I don't think that there was much (at the time) to deduce that Penske would get an R18 or two for LM, or after LM. But this may throw a kink into the rumored "customer" R18 program for the WEC, but knowing Penske and how he runs his ship (see the end of the RS Spyder program after PMNA stopped funding much of that program), the only reason I can see him getting R18s is to prepare for the 2014 Porsche program, and he has a sponsor lined up.

I'll believe the Audi R18/Porsche 2014 rumors when I see it happen, just like the Abt WEC rumors.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 21:31 (Ref:2932279)   #324
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
And to add, if Penske were to get R18s next year, they probably wouldn't run in the ALMS. Audi of America boss Johan de Nysschen has commented in a discussion on the Audi fan site Fourtitude that Audi currently has no plans to run the full ALMS season (only the WEC races) because of reports that the ALMS intends on combining LMP1 and LMP2 into a single main LMP class like in 2010 for 2012.

It's doubtful as of now that Penske will get R18s is a fact in anyway, but it's more or less a fact that outside of Sebring and PLM next year, Audi won't run any other ALMS events until the LMP1 class returns as its own class. Which means no Penske ALMS program.

So if Penske runs R18s to get ready for the 2014 Porsche program, it'll have to be in the WEC, which is why if Penske gets the Porsche nod, he might do testing but won't race until 2014.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 06:47 (Ref:2932350)   #325
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
And to add, if Penske were to get R18s next year, they probably wouldn't run in the ALMS. Audi of America boss Johan de Nysschen has commented in a discussion on the Audi fan site Fourtitude that Audi currently has no plans to run the full ALMS season (only the WEC races) because of reports that the ALMS intends on combining LMP1 and LMP2 into a single main LMP class like in 2010 for 2012.

It's doubtful as of now that Penske will get R18s is a fact in anyway, but it's more or less a fact that outside of Sebring and PLM next year, Audi won't run any other ALMS events until the LMP1 class returns as its own class. Which means no Penske ALMS program.

So if Penske runs R18s to get ready for the 2014 Porsche program, it'll have to be in the WEC, which is why if Penske gets the Porsche nod, he might do testing but won't race until 2014.
I would take that with a pinch of salt: - If Audi and Penske definitely wanted to do P1 in 2012 then ALMS would provide the class for them.