Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Dec 2018, 14:03 (Ref:3873290)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
ESPIRITO de MONTJUIC (Barcelona) Peter Auto

Circuit de Montmelo, Catalunya, Barcelona- call it what you will. The Montjuic street circuit in the Park no longer exists, although the roads it used are still there, however....

Peter Auto season opener, to include the first races for their Global Endurance Legends cars. (Previously demonstrated only)
Old 4 Jan 2019, 22:36 (Ref:3874078)   #2
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Global Endurance Legends race length has changed from a 1×1:30 race to 2×30 mins race lengths.Not much tracktime when you look at Group C for example.
Can't wait though.
Old 4 Jan 2019, 22:38 (Ref:3874079)   #3
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why was the Montjuic removed from the Barcelona circuit.Can't seem to find anything about it and thought I'd ask.Don't know much about the track apart from that its good.
Old 5 Jan 2019, 01:57 (Ref:3874089)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Why was the Montjuic removed from the Barcelona circuit.Can't seem to find anything about it and thought I'd ask.Don't know much about the track apart from that its good.
google is your friend
https://sidepodcast.com/post/fast-bu...ntjuic-circuit

the current circuit is 25k out of town
Old 5 Jan 2019, 07:14 (Ref:3874102)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Global Endurance Legends race length has changed from a 1×1:30 race to 2×30 mins race lengths.Not much tracktime when you look at Group C for example.
Can't wait though.
2 x 30 minute races, plus 30 min free practice and 30 min qualifying ain't bad for the first of a new untried race series. GpC only get 2 x 45 min races, plus 2 x 45 min Q.....

Anything new has to be squeezed into an existing timetable without upsetting the established categories.
Old 5 Jan 2019, 07:22 (Ref:3874103)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
As David says, there is lots of info on Montjuïc via a search engine! Just to expand on his reply, the current circuit is outside Barcelona, just off the Motorway to the North East. It’s hardly a glamorous location. Hopefully the attached screen prints from google maps will show the locations of Montjuic and the current circuit....
Attached Thumbnails
CD66333E-6E06-434D-90F1-9A02775B3933.png   00EE9F34-2454-4D8B-994E-27321727718E.png  
Old 5 Jan 2019, 07:53 (Ref:3874106)   #7
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Why was the Montjüic park removed? May be an answer here:
http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/65660.html The Google view doesn't give a good idea of the slope variations.
When talking about a famous track one should ask about its nickname. Example? Nürburgring Nordschleife is "Green Hell", original Charade was "Little Nürburgring", the real Spa Francorchamps was said "A f.....g hairy place" while riders use to say Montjüic was a nice place for a suicide… Same riders' nickname for Dinan Trelivan or Bourg en Bresse. Happy days!
Old 5 Jan 2019, 08:32 (Ref:3874109)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes, hard to believe the old layout went round a ‘mountain’ in the Park, being so close to the Mediterranean! It cost the lives of drivers and riders as well during the years it was in operation, so not surprised deemed too dangerous.
Old 5 Jan 2019, 08:59 (Ref:3874111)   #9
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
2 x 30 minute races, plus 30 min free practice and 30 min qualifying ain't bad for the first of a new untried race series. GpC only get 2 x 45 min races, plus 2 x 45 min Q.....

Anything new has to be squeezed into an existing timetable without upsetting the established categories.
Will be interesting to see the first grid.
I see your point with the untried bit.Maybe thats a good thing.Its quite a packed timetable now.As its replacing Euro F2 the times are quite close with it.Only an extra 5 or 10 minutes on session length
Old 5 Jan 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3874112)   #10
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quite a history then , cheers for all the info.
Old 5 Jan 2019, 09:37 (Ref:3874116)   #11
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If you like to try and catch the spirit of what could be racing in the past, may be copies of Le Mans by Steve Mc Queen, Rush by Ron Howard, Grand Prix by John Frankenheimer and Continental Circus (riders) by Jérôme Laperrousaz are worth. I won't say the same about Driven by Sly…*Of course those are movies with a huge part of romance, but McQueen was a competent driver together with Howard (Corvette Greenwood for instance) while Frankenheimer was a car collector with a very good knowledge. Its only my opinion, of course. End of O/topic, Mike!
Old 6 Jan 2019, 10:08 (Ref:3874242)   #12
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barcelona as a city break is a cracking destination. And it is possible to walk the old cicuit, well worth it too.
Old 6 Jan 2019, 10:58 (Ref:3874252)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy norm View Post
Barcelona as a city break is a cracking destination. And it is possible to walk the old cicuit, well worth it too.
I hear that. Sadly when we race there I never get time!
Old 6 Jan 2019, 11:32 (Ref:3874255)   #14
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I hear that. Sadly when we race there I never get time!
Hehehehe I know the feeling.... I go to Barcelona at least twice per year, but when I do it is always to meet a connection to head South to my Mother.... or rushing back to fly home to Oz. I know the every terminal at the airport intimately though!

One day I will do the touristy thing.
Old 6 Jan 2019, 11:46 (Ref:3874256)   #15
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I know the every terminal at the airport intimately though!
Are the toilets clean, E.B ?
Old 28 Jan 2019, 05:58 (Ref:3880101)   #16
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
A first for a French organisation, PA ready to announce rev limitations via the same MSD box already in use in the Masters series. Cobras et Shelby 350 maximum limit 6 800 rpm. Taxes included…
Old 28 Jan 2019, 12:37 (Ref:3880149)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It will be interesting to see how the ‘2 Litre Cup’ 911s lap times compare with previous. I’ve heard that some engine builders / preparers are hard at work ensuring that valve sizes, ignition etc are per regulations before the engines are sealed.....
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:01 (Ref:3880188)   #18
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike, one of my bloke asked for a quote to some famous engine builder. I had to ask him to repeat, not only because I'm old but because of the number. 100 k€ let you either voiceless or expecting for great power figures. For obvious reasons you can't achieve the same bench results for a 2 litre than for a Carrera 6, first being the later had twin spark heads… Sorry for off topic! By the way, it seems you should add some taxes to this. Please dont send me to "the" other thread, Mike……
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:04 (Ref:3880189)   #19
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It will be interesting to see how the ‘2 Litre Cup’ 911s lap times compare with previous. I’ve heard that some engine builders / preparers are hard at work ensuring that valve sizes, ignition etc are per regulations before the engines are sealed.....
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:09 (Ref:3880194)   #20
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Somewhat surprised that PA is just targeting Cobras and Mustangs....I would have thought some other popular types might have been “looked at”.

Either way with the regs knobbling the competition expect to see a little 356 on the front row after quali.....
Mag 7's #60
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:16 (Ref:3880197)   #21
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Will……… no-one is targeted, of course. Just a bet, PA people dont read all the threads here. When they will, may be TVR's will be added to the list! Shhhh, keep our secret… public! With the 2.0 L Cup, I understand you miss some people to humiliate in your category.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 17:41 (Ref:3880234)   #22
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Mag 7's #60
Old 29 Jan 2019, 05:36 (Ref:3880346)   #23
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Of course having engines checked and sealed is a fantastic move forward. Together with checking the syncs in the gearbox with an endoscope. Weight tunnel is good too. What else? Something I've been asking for, track and wheelbase. May be they'll discover that some SWB are not so short, kind of S1,5WB?
Old 3 Feb 2019, 22:24 (Ref:3881755)   #24
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys, I can see you are having fun but, for the record, track was measured at the first 2 Litre Cup round last season. For those of you that don't actually compete in the series - ie all of you - it's more closely scrutineered than most
Old 4 Feb 2019, 06:27 (Ref:3881824)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
You’re quite right, Robert, none of us other posters race in the 2 litre Cup. You are the man!

A bit of generalisation in one or two recent posts, I think, but we’re happy to be corrected and get more insight from those directly involved. May bump into you (figuratively speaking) at the first race in Spain!