Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 May 2008, 17:18 (Ref:2197720)   #276
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well if they do not introduce a C7 mid engine Corvette then they probably won't do an "EVO" Corvette as it does not fit the current business model for the Corvette program, which like it or not, understand it or not, works like gangbusters.
Maybe we will see the/a "EVO" coupe from GM as a Cadillac Cien in mid engine form as a fore-runner/test bed for a mid engine C7. That way they can put a larger sticker price on it as it is a Caddy. (?) And produce it in smaller #'s as it, at that level of production, would not occupy any space on the Bowling Green assy lines.

L.P.
Old 9 May 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2197721)   #277
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
We have!
Lister Storm.
Very, very poor example! The engine has way more potential than that.

L.P.
Old 9 May 2008, 22:47 (Ref:2197909)   #278
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Very, very poor example! The engine has way more potential than that.

L.P.
i know, i know.
but we have.
Old 12 May 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2200310)   #279
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not really sure where I should put this but short of starting a new thread, this is probably the best place. The FFSA-GT GT1 Class is having a hum-dinger of a series this year with 4 Saleens (the Labre cars are last years Oreca Saleens I think) and three ex-Corvette Racing Vettes (2 C6Rs and one C5R). Bouchut and Bornhauser are leading the points in a Saleen but are closely followed by the two C6R Vettes of SRT and DKR (ex-PSI car) with Ayari & Hernandez and Dayraut & Lebon, respectively. Lots of good drivers and great racing with different winners almost every race. Six races so far and Bouchut & Bornhauser have won 3, Dayraut and Lebon have won two and Ayari & Hernandez (actually Fassler substituted for Ayari) have won one. This is actually a better GT1 Class than in either ALMS or LMS!!

DK
Old 2 Jun 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2217978)   #280
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Marshall Pruett's speedTV Le Mans bog:

"Rumors and Rumblings

I’ve heard from a usually reliable source that the Corvette Racing team has a new car undergoing scale model wind tunnel testing. Where it gets interesting is that as I’m told, it’s not a GT car."

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...test-day-blog/
Old 2 Jun 2008, 17:47 (Ref:2217982)   #281
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt
From Marshall Pruett's speedTV Le Mans bog:

"Rumors and Rumblings

I’ve heard from a usually reliable source that the Corvette Racing team has a new car undergoing scale model wind tunnel testing. Where it gets interesting is that as I’m told, it’s not a GT car."
Well, it is true that a wind tunnel model has been tested. This was in Murphy the Bear on April 13th. The thing is, this was voted down at the board meeting. Always subject to change in the future, but for now..... Unless a completely new model was done... after the vote... which was only a few weeks ago...
Old 2 Jun 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2217986)   #282
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jan Magnussen has officially confirmed this weekend, that this is the last year of the C6R. Next year will see a whole new project...

curiously the same weekend saw him talking about NASCAR. I hope that he stays away from the trucks, and sticks with the new GM project!

Last edited by Aslak Vind; 2 Jun 2008 at 17:59.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 18:45 (Ref:2218037)   #283
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
Jan Magnussen has officially confirmed this weekend, that this is the last year of the C6R. Next year will see a whole new project...

curiously the same weekend saw him talking about NASCAR. I hope that he stays away from the trucks, and sticks with the new GM project!
It would be terrible to see Jan, either of the Ollies or anyone else from Corvette racing get sucked into NASCAR. I shudder to think about it.

DK
Old 2 Jun 2008, 19:22 (Ref:2218069)   #284
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Source?
Old 2 Jun 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2218186)   #285
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Source?
Jan was interviewed to a Danish motorsports site DBA.dk, Jan also talks about the new Corvette engine with direct fuelinjection, to save fuel and stretch the stints.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 21:42 (Ref:2218200)   #286
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Jan was interviewed to a Danish motorsports site DBA.dk, Jan also talks about the new Corvette engine with direct fuelinjection, to save fuel and stretch the stints.
His exact words was, that the CURRENT car will be pensioned at the end of the year. And that GM will have a new project ready..
Old 3 Jun 2008, 02:39 (Ref:2218292)   #287
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
I didn't come up with that, direct, translation. link

L.P.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 04:27 (Ref:2218315)   #288
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
I didn't come up with that, direct, translation. link

L.P.

Good thing we have online translators, usually so much more reliable than people who actually speak the language.

With it being a known that P&M has a contract for Corvette Racing through to the end of 2010, I kind of hope that they do take a new direction and GT1 finally disappears.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 20:03 (Ref:2219056)   #289
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Wasn't Marshall Pruett actually on the location in Le Mans? Obviously the question is, did he heard old or new info.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 23:56 (Ref:2219225)   #290
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Good thing we have online translators, usually so much more reliable than people who actually speak the language.

With it being a known that P&M has a contract for Corvette Racing through to the end of 2010, I kind of hope that they do take a new direction and GT1 finally disappears.
Ya, good thing. Its amazing that peoples who speak in the same language yet with different dialects often using the same exact words come out with different meanings, go figure.

And even though GM has P&M under contract till 2010, they could pull the plug tomorrow and not race anything, go figure!
And they have stated that it is still a ??, go figure.

L.P.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 00:01 (Ref:2219227)   #291
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
Wasn't Marshall Pruett actually on the location in Le Mans? Obviously the question is, did he heard old or new info.
Marshall was on location. Rumours get circulated around, hard to say really.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 00:17 (Ref:2219229)   #292
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This must be about Corvette, from DSC:-

Quote:
The best (and most educated) guess at the moment indicates a singel GT class - If that happens then expect a double edged attack from one of the biggest GT names out there with a factory-led GT effort destined as a long-term customer programme coupled with an attack on whatever emerges as the premier prototype class.
Not Ferrari, while Porsche and Aston Martin already have Prototype/GT programs out in the open.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 00:47 (Ref:2219241)   #293
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
This must be about Corvette, from DSC:-

Not Ferrari, while Porsche and Aston Martin already have Prototype/GT programs out in the open.
It doesn't state that the programs aren't in the open already.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 01:00 (Ref:2219250)   #294
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It doesn't state that the programs aren't in the open already.
OK, but if it was Porsche, it's fairly obvious they will have a customer GT program, new rules or not. Corvette on the other hand have always run a factory GT team, focusing purely on customers would be a change of direction worthy of note.

The article is also with regards to ALMS rumours, considering Aston Martins lack of participation, I doubt they'd run a factory P1 in the ALMS.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 01:29 (Ref:2219262)   #295
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
What about Acura? Or BMW? Or Audi?
Old 4 Jun 2008, 01:51 (Ref:2219269)   #296
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmmm think I have changed states

I am from Missouri ....

You know the rest
Old 4 Jun 2008, 17:38 (Ref:2219819)   #297
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
What about Acura? Or BMW? Or Audi?
All could also run P1/GT programs, but the fact is GT1 is dead, P&M have a contract for another 3+ years, they've supported the ALMS for 2 years with zero competition (so are arguably more commited to the series than any other manufactuer), they've had/have a P1 EVO car in the wind tunnel, the ALMS have openly stated they are working to allow GM's idea of a P1 Evo car to compete alongside current P1 cars, while drivers such as Magnussen state they'll have a new car next season.

Last edited by JAG; 4 Jun 2008 at 17:41.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 17:47 (Ref:2219829)   #298
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
the ALMS have openly stated they are working to allow GM's idea of a P1 Evo car to compete alongside current P1 cars"
?
Old 4 Jun 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2220006)   #299
JAG
Veteran

England
From DSC:-

Quote:
When asked if indeed the EVO regs were dead, he (Mayer) said, “I don’t see them as dead – I see them as evolving.” From this discussion, it is plain to see that the Prototype class will be seeing changes in the future, all which should be good for the sport. Not massive and sweeping changes, but changes that will allow manufacturers to compete in a way that suits they desires. “If a manufacturer wants a car to have strong styling cues, reminiscent of a street car, we hope to have the regulations in place to allow for that and still allow them to be competitive.”
I.E a Corvette P1 EVO with road car styling cues, and resultant loss in downforce compared to a current P1 like the Peugeot 908, would be performance balanced by having more power, less weight etc.

Last edited by JAG; 4 Jun 2008 at 21:40.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 22:13 (Ref:2220032)   #300
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
From DSC:-

I.E a Corvette P1 EVO with road car styling cues, and resultant loss in downforce compared to a current P1 like the Peugeot 908, would be performance balanced by having more power, less weight etc.

I think you have figured out more then many of the Corvette or P&M engineers have done.

Maybe best to not read to much into those motorsprots mag articals and speculations. Rumors are like . . Every one has one.