Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Jun 2013, 07:38 (Ref:3265317)   #51
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So why is it in bits then? Sorry couldn't help myself there, Bob.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 09:03 (Ref:3276925)   #52
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
WANTED!

Only 3 months away now for our first FLIERS race, so here are a few examples of the types of cars we're after:-

1) Rod Begbie's Elva Mk IV
2) Chris Guest's Cooper T21
3) Brian Arculus Lotus Mk IX (photo by Pat Arculus)
4) David Lee's Tojeiro- JAP
5) Alex Quattlebaum's MG LECo 2
6) George Cooper's Cooper Sports
Attached Thumbnails
Elva MkIV Sports Racerwb.jpg   IMG_0513wb.jpg   IMG_7541wb.jpg  

Tojeiro JAP (2)wb.jpg   IMG_9075wb.jpg   IMG_8931wb.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 12 Jul 2013 at 09:12.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 10:21 (Ref:3280754)   #53
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ok, it's an advert but not mine to sell but I have a real interest in seeing this sold to a good home since it is absolutely the sort of car we are looking for for the FLIERS. I realise it is not likely that it could be completed for our first race in Autumn but I have an eye on the longer term. So here we go - a car with provenance and currently in the custody of someone (Roger Dunbar) who knows and appreciates Elvas and their histories:-

The ELVA Mk.1B is dated 1957; built for the '57 Autosport Championship series, driven initially by Pat Fergusson and campaigned regularly by next owner G. Donald Hill (many entries listed) as shown page 79 of the Elva book. Chassis ID #32; road registration # 796 DRB; have old logbook etc etc. Originally powered by ELVA IOE converted Ford 100E and Elva conversion comes with the car as does the rare Wooler remote for the Ford gearbox. Much work undertaken but just too many Elva projects taking up time. Car completely dismantled; and chassis checked and repainted in correct Elva period colour; then aluminium panels replaced (under tray, footwells etc.) by the craftsman who undertook the work back in 1957! Has the original Ashley Laminates (Falcon) body shell which has been prepared and repainted in a nice racing green. History file and umpteen pictures so absolutely ideal for the 1950's race series. Can provide much more info if needed. This historic car needs to be out racing again and so very reluctantly offered to another good home. Price to be negotiated. Contact roger@elva.com or call on 07976234470.

I have Roger's agreement to post this.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3280772)   #54
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hope you don't mind, I've posted this on Facebook in the Historic Racing Group.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 17:13 (Ref:3280880)   #55
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
That's great, thanks, Peter.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 09:11 (Ref:3297710)   #56
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Entries for all the races at the Castle Combe Autumn Classic are now open.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 16:00 (Ref:3302179)   #57
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope I have this right, the suggestion is for a race series similar to Stirling Moss, but limiting engine capacity to 1500cc, what a great idea, and the majority of events in the UK? as the Stirling Moss series have only 2 or 3 so those with no time to spare for 'touring' the continent find their racing season rather curtailed,as it seems no other events exsist.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 16:12 (Ref:3302183)   #58
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well it wasn't the Moss races which triggered this but in effect I guess that is how it will pan out but the 1500cc limit for the cars is of production units like the XPAG but only 1100cc for racing units, so no FWE or FWBs. Am trying to attact cars that either have been driven away by the later engined and/or bigger cars or those which haven't seen the light of day for awhile. There are a lot of cars out there but many are not anywhere near race ready so I think we are likely to be in for the long haul on this which may mean augmenting the grid early days with up to 1500cc road sports cars from the same period and earlier but again nothing with FWE.

Many of the cars in this year's Madgwick Cup at the Goodwood Revival are eligible for the FLIERS. Take a look at the FLIERS section of our website at www.fiscar.org
Old 12 Sep 2013, 07:15 (Ref:3302551)   #59
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it comes to fruition John, and not only because as it may prevent an associate from considering disposal of a suitable car, simply because there are not enough events in the UK, and as we are all aware mothballed cars suffer, and at a time when the market is 'slow' to say the least.
The 'clubby' atmosphere is also attractive, and a move in the right direction, as a personal friend remarked recently, discussing the 'classic' Historic motor sport is only one step behind behind F1 in the cost of being involved with particular emphasis on entry costs.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 10:35 (Ref:3302632)   #60
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Many thanks; even if the Castle Combe race is short on entries, I intend to pursue this because I do have a lot of interest from owners who simply, as you say, have mothballed cars that are no longer race ready. Perhaps you could put your associate in touch with me? I really believe this has legs but it's hard work!
Old 18 Sep 2013, 13:17 (Ref:3305753)   #61
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Many thanks; even if the Castle Combe race is short on entries, I intend to pursue this because I do have a lot of interest from owners who simply, as you say, have mothballed cars that are no longer race ready. Perhaps you could put your associate in touch with me? I really believe this has legs but it's hard work!
Done, have passed on details
Old 20 Sep 2013, 07:47 (Ref:3306472)   #62
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Unsurprisingly and for a whole bunch of the usual reasons we are struggling to get a good sized grid for this first race. I have turned away three cars that were period correct but with later and/or non compliant engines on the basis that creating a precedent always comes back to haunt you later, and we intend to start as we mean to carry on. There are, in fact, a lot of suitable cars out there, many with really fabulous histories but most have remained dormant for many years and are not race ready. Long term, I am excited about the prospect for these cars, but the first race is clearly going to be difficult. This is a list, not necessarily exhaustive, of the sort cars and engines, that are eligible:-

FLIERS – Eligible Cars

Attila - Climax
Buckler – Mk5, 6, 90, DD1 & most DD2s
Cisitalia
Connaught – ALSR
Cooper – T10, T13, T14, T21, T39
Dellow -
Elva – Mk 1,,3, 4, 5
Gilby - Climax
Keift - Climax
Lola – Mk 1
Lotus – 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 17
MG XPAG Specials – Dargue, Leco, Lester, DJS, Parson, Playford
OSCA – MT4, FS372
Porsche – 550/550A
Tojeiro – MG

Engines – JAP, Ford 1172, Ford 1508 (Consul), MG XPAG, Lea Francis, Coventry Climax (FWA ONLY)

Even if you don't have a car on that list but is period correct and maybe suitable, please pm me. I am also prepared to create a separate class to accept any roadsports cars from the late 30's to end of 50's (but no Elites as they run the FWE and should be in our Inter-Marque race, anyway!) up to 1500cc if not too tweaked if anyone wants a last outing of the season.

Last edited by John Turner; 24 Sep 2013 at 06:56. Reason: 60 to 6 (Buckler) - see Stan's post below
Old 23 Sep 2013, 18:40 (Ref:3308289)   #63
Stan Hibberd
Rookie

England
Rugby
Stan Hibberd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fiscar List

Nice to see Bucklers in the elegibility list for thr FISCAR Fliers race. One small error in the Buckler types there is no type 60 I think that should be Mark 6. I think Mike and Andrew Hibberd are entering my Buckler Mark 6 in the Castle Combe race. This is a pleasant surprise to me that I never thought likely to happen when I put the case for including Buckler cars in the FISCAR list several months ago. Best wishes for the opening race.
Stan Hibberd
Old 24 Sep 2013, 06:55 (Ref:3308572)   #64
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, indeed, a slip of the finger; thanks Stan.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 09:37 (Ref:3310643)   #65
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Should probably have included the Maserati 150S on that list. We could but hope for such a presence!
Old 13 Oct 2013, 10:43 (Ref:3317097)   #66
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
My race report, here:-

http://fiscar.org/castle-combe-50s-fliers/
Old 14 Oct 2013, 14:47 (Ref:3317756)   #67
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I've now added a page for FLIERS for sale!

http://fiscar.org/fliers-for-sale/
Old 26 Jun 2014, 08:27 (Ref:3426647)   #68
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Since the FLIERS had their second race at the weekend (as part of the MGCCs Iconic50s race), I thought it time to dredge this thread up. I've updated the cars for sale:-

http://fiscar.org/fliers-for-sale-1/

and also increased the number of cars in the FLIERs gallery here:-

http://fiscar.org/fliers-cars/

Interestingly, the Bonhams sale at Goodwood at the weekend has two eminently suitable cars - the rebodied Tojeiro MG and that fabulous HRG.