Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Apr 2017, 08:31 (Ref:3726280)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bahrain Grand Prix 2017 - Round 3 of 20 - Grand Prix Weekend Thread

Discuss Bahrain here.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 10:35 (Ref:3726299)   #2
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Some of the talk on the flight over from China has been the rear wing, and also, the floor of the Ferraris. Both are flexing, and eyebrows have been raised. Teams have noticed and there could be a need for Charlie Whiting to clarify.

Ferrari have also bought a new front wing design for Bahrein. No doubt teams will be keeping a close eye on this as well today.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 12:43 (Ref:3726337)   #3
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
FP1 results. Ferrari on top, and bottom.

Old 14 Apr 2017, 14:00 (Ref:3726363)   #4
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For those who may be interested, and it seems new to me, Channel 4 in the UK is showing the free practices live, with FP2 on at 15:55 to 17:35 BST and FP3 tomorrow at 12:55 to 14:25 BST. FP1 will be on catch-up if required.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 14:37 (Ref:3726373)   #5
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari are bringing new parts for this race. They're meant to be strong here. I think they did benefit from the rule changes over the winter - especially on suspension - they're meant to have a better system than both the Mercedes and Red Bull.

I think I heard on the Sky feed - that it's meant to be quite windy on race day and there could be a sandstorm .
Old 14 Apr 2017, 14:47 (Ref:3726376)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
got a kick out of seeing this.

Nick Mason in the Ferrari garage!

https://twitter.com/ScuderiaFerrari/...549761/photo/1
Old 14 Apr 2017, 15:09 (Ref:3726379)   #7
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
A bit more on the Ferrari suspicions HERE. Many other sites also reporting this issue.

But if the Ferrari has passed all the FIA tests, then it should be play on.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 15:32 (Ref:3726385)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
A bit more on the Ferrari suspicions HERE. Many other sites also reporting this issue.

But if the Ferrari has passed all the FIA tests, then it should be play on.
obviously im not in a position to comment on the legality of the Ferrari, and Ferrari have already issued their own challenges of legality against other teams this year so whats good for the goose is good for the gander type thing.

but this is also why i really respect Ferrari's decision to talk less to the media this year.

because after watching f1 for many many years one thing is certain...if Ferrari are doing well the most dominate headline of the year will about cheating and any legitimate question another team may have is immediately translated by the media into accusations of cheating for click bait headline purposes...frankly its boring.

if it fails a FIA mandated test then lets talk about it.

anyways, changing topics slightly...if flexible wings/floors is the solution to the 'dirty air' problem and for lack of any better ideas then the sport has been able to come up with, then maybe they should allow for greater aero flex in these parts and let everyone go back to proper racing!
Old 14 Apr 2017, 16:05 (Ref:3726395)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Kimi taking a shortcut through the desert...obviously with helmet on!

https://streamable.com/cqkwb

he really knows his tracks and service roads/areas.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 18:45 (Ref:3726430)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great intro.

Usually a rather dull affair, though there was that cracker of a race three years ago. I would like to see something like that again, though I expect we will be in for more of the same; I hope I'm proven wrong. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to see how the Ferrari vs. Mercedes story unfolds.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 06:13 (Ref:3726508)   #11
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Neppatsrev Xam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Christian Horner calling for a ban on T wings after the wing on Bottas his car broke off and Max drove over it causing £50,000 worth of damage.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128970
Old 15 Apr 2017, 08:46 (Ref:3726528)   #12
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neppatsrev Xam View Post
Christian Horner calling for a ban on T wings after the wing on Bottas his car broke off and Max drove over it causing £50,000 worth of damage.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128970
The cynic in me says the RB drivers had instructions to run over any T wing debris they saw on track, ok perhaps unlikely BUT I keep hearing it said that banning them would affect every team in the same way which is obvious nonsense as it would clearly not affect those who have chosen not to run them so they have an advantage to gain by getting them banned.

Personally I'd like to see them go, but not in an overtly political way as this always leaves a bad taste.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 10:19 (Ref:3726546)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I hope they go too. They do nothing to improve the racing or the look of F1 cars and now are proving dangerous. Hope they're gone on a whim like those 98 X-wings.

Still RBR are looking good, really seem to have turned a corner this weekend
Old 15 Apr 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3726549)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
They do nothing to improve the racing or the look of F1 cars and now are proving dangerous.
Quick couple of questions regarding the T-wings.

How do we know that racing wouldn't be worse without them. Perhaps Verstappen's struggle to get close to cars last time out may be partly due to a lack of T-wing.

How have they proven dangerous? Debris on the track is not ideal, but there have been plenty of other bits of carbon fibre that end up on the track over the years.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 12:42 (Ref:3726587)   #15
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Drivers have been warned that if anyone does what Vettel did at the start line in China, they're likely to be penalised. If so, why wasn't Vettel penalised in China then?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...cident-894102/

That article says only two similar incidents in the last 20 years.

Here's Vettel in China.

Here's Ricciardo in Japan 2016.

Big difference!! Ricciardo's right front tyre is out of the marked box, but his right rear tyre appears to be just inside, or on the line. Where as Vettel is half a car's length outside!
Old 15 Apr 2017, 13:55 (Ref:3726610)   #16
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Drivers have been warned that if anyone does what Vettel did at the start line in China, they're likely to be penalised. If so, why wasn't Vettel penalised in China then?
Because as the drivers' steward on the day said - the rules were felt as being unclear so they chose to note this incident, but not penalise.
But now that a clarification has been issued, drivers can be penalised in future.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 14:05 (Ref:3726617)   #17
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
But the rules are still the same. Nothing has changed. A precedent was set in China. So if the starting rules have not changed, then any driver can still do what Vettel did. If they get penalised, they've got a very good case to argue.

Let's face it, if Whiting had aborted the start (as he was supposed to), and Vettel was forced to start from the pitlane, the championship would have lost the shine it had from Melbourne. IMO, that's the only and real reason Vettel was not penalised.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 14:53 (Ref:3726640)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...cident-894102/

That article says only two similar incidents in the last 20 years.

Here's Vettel in China.

Here's Ricciardo in Japan 2016.

Big difference!! Ricciardo's right front tyre is out of the marked box, but his right rear tyre appears to be just inside, or on the line. Where as Vettel is half a car's length outside!
Lewis, who was doesn't seem to be quite in place either.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 15:24 (Ref:3726648)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Woah nothing wrong with Wehrlein now! Nearly 8 10ths quicker than Ericsson...

Checo out?

Magnussen must have had problems he's not that slow?
Old 15 Apr 2017, 16:21 (Ref:3726660)   #20
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Let's face it, if Whiting had aborted the start (as he was supposed to), and Vettel was forced to start from the pitlane, the championship would have lost the shine it had from Melbourne. IMO, that's the only and real reason Vettel was not penalised.
Probably. It's almost that simple, but not quite. IMHO, this is one of those rules you don't expect anyone to break, or push the envelope with. But Vettel did, and beyond your point above (which I agree is a big factor), I expect it caught Charlie off guard and he may have been thinking... How far out can he be? Move the internal discussion (Charlie, stewards, etc.) to after the start vs. declare false start and potentially get it really wrong. If It had ended up improving Vettel's start we may have seen a stop and go for him. But I don't think it did help him so they left it alone so it could be clarified with the drivers later.

Quote:
But the rules are still the same. Nothing has changed. A precedent was set in China. So if the starting rules have not changed, then any driver can still do what Vettel did. If they get penalised, they've got a very good case to argue.
No precedent has been set. Plenty has changed. We all have our opinions, but that is a ridiculous argument. The rule is a bit vague and while IMHO the clarification from Charlie could be better, it has been clarified. I expect if anyone tries the same stunt (at least to the level Vettel did) they will be penalized even if they gain no advantage. Why else would Charlie make the point?

Richard
Old 15 Apr 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3726666)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'm massively surprised Vettel was allowed to get away with that in China. The FIA seem willing to stamp down on the smallest indiscretions, however that grid stunt was allowed to go unpunished, great consistency.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3726687)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I completely missed Qualifying but I see Bottas got pole. Good for him and judging from this pic from Autosport, Lewis seems happy enough with it.

Old 15 Apr 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3726698)   #23
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lewis was also pretty happy with Rosberg doing well, until he became a real threat. not a criticism of Lewis, they'd all rightly be like that. But that almost proud smile will disappear if Bottas gets within fighting distance of the championship.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 18:54 (Ref:3726711)   #24
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Lewis was also pretty happy with Rosberg doing well, until he became a real threat. not a criticism of Lewis, they'd all rightly be like that. But that almost proud smile will disappear if Bottas gets within fighting distance of the championship.
Completely agree!

Richard
Old 15 Apr 2017, 20:04 (Ref:3726723)   #25
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think at the moment Lewis knows all things being equal he has got Bottas covered, he probably knows where the 2/10ths went missing in the middle sector afterall, no big deal, you can't be on pole every race can you.