Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 Aug 2002, 12:03 (Ref:361140)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1989 Le Mans: Richard Lloyd Racing

I have a question about this year and this team and also a request.

Richard Lloyd racing entered two cars in 1989

no.14 driven by Derek Bell, James Weaver and Tiff Needell which retired after a fire 21 hours into the race

and

no.15 driven by Steven Andskär, David Hobbs and Damon Hill which retired after engine problems 14 hours into the race.

My question is this: In 1990 I attended my first Le Mans and on radio Le Mans Tiff Needell told a story about how the car caught fire and it would be best to deliver the car to team pits so that they believed him! (Although he did say that he should have perhaps stopped at the pits of a team he didn't like! Was this 1989? And I seem to remember that the background of the story involved lots of Richard Lloyd racing cars catching fire! Where there any others?

And finally does anyone have any photos of the no.15 car? And any of Damon Hill driving?

Cheers Adam
Old 19 Aug 2002, 14:44 (Ref:361295)   #2
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was 1989..........
Another, TakeFuji liveried, Lloyd 962 caught fire at Le Mans back in 1987, and bounced back to win at Norisring a couple of weeks later....
Old 19 Aug 2002, 18:05 (Ref:361454)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Adam, the conversation you speak of was between James Weaver and Radio Le Mans. Although it's right to say that Tiff's car expired in a fire in '89. I don't think the conversation was in '89 - trouble is, James set fire to RLR Porsches three years running - if I remember rightly.

I've got at least one pic of the Hill Porsche - I'll try and dig it out.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 18:23 (Ref:361474)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've found 2 for you Adam - here's the first.....
Attached Thumbnails
rlr15-1.jpg  
Old 19 Aug 2002, 18:25 (Ref:361475)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
....and here's the second. (Haven't got a clue who's driving!).
Attached Thumbnails
rlr15-2.jpg  
Old 19 Aug 2002, 18:31 (Ref:361481)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm sure it was Tiff Needell and the conversation must have been 1990 or later because I hadn't heard Radio Le Mans before that! But he was referring to previous years.

Now you come to mention it I think he might have been saying that it was his team mate who should have stopped in the wrong pit. The thing that made me think it actually happen while Tiff was in the car was a extra bit in the conversation where he was talking about collecting a model of every car he had driven at Le Mans. He said he got a Richard Lloyd racing version for Christmas, but it (allegedly) caught fire over the Christmas dinner!

A lot of the rest of the conversation was about how chuffed they were to bring the short tailed bodywork for the newly chicaned track. Only they and the Brun team had done so.

Tiff Needell, Anthony Reid and David Sears did really well to finish third in 1990 (behind the two Jags ), but I can't for the life of me remember the name of their team that! Argghh. I can picture the car...

A pic of the Hill Porsche would be great, I look forward to it. Thank you.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 18:36 (Ref:361487)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
And while I'm typing they appear. Thanks. They're great!

Old 19 Aug 2002, 19:43 (Ref:361518)   #8
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Needle / Sears / Reid car was No 45 entered by Alpha Racing Team using chassis 154 3.0 t Main sponser was Alpha Hitech Design and Zenitaka. The year Brun almost caught everyone out with a 2nd place only to fail in the last 15 minutes due to a 50p oil seal, such a sad sight.

Also Tiff was driving in 89 when the car caught light, just AFTER the pit lane entrance so he parked it at the end of the start straight. He did however say that he could smell burning bfore that but no smoke or flame.

Referance from the Le Mans Yearbooks.

Simon
Old 19 Aug 2002, 19:59 (Ref:361525)   #9
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone remember cheering when the Brun car broke. It was cruel luck but with the Jag leading. I remember there was an enourmous cheer(including me) but i had to feel sorry for the Brun team afterwards!
Old 19 Aug 2002, 20:52 (Ref:361578)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I've found 2 for you Adam - here's the first.....
Aysedasi - Great pics btw, I could have done with asking you for a favour of posting these about 3 years ago!
I was commissioned by Damon's management to do a painting for him which showed all of his major race cars from FF2000 & 1600 up to the 99 Jordan - all in side profile.
I had no photos to work from except from my own reference archive as DH could not even remember which cars he had driven!
I searched everywhere for a decent pic of the 89 Porsche that he drove but no shots in side view - until now!
The painting is on my website www.andrewkitson.com and under the circumstances I think I got pretty close to it. Thanks again for posting those.
P.S. The guy who commissioned me on DH's behalf is Pete Boutwood. Pete is a good buddy of Damon's and looked after all of DH's official merchandising. As a designer, he is the guy who actually designed the famous Damon B&H caps, Tee's etc. He also designed all of the current DC range and the colour schemes of all the MG race & rally cars. Previously he designed the Jordan B&H shark livery.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 21:05 (Ref:361588)   #11
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Tiff Needell, Anthony Reid and David Sears did really well to finish third in 1990 (behind the two Jags ), but I can't for the life of me remember the name of their team that! Argghh. I can picture the car...
Here you go Adam - the 1990 Porsche in question!
I painted this for David Sears in '93 and he has the painting in his office at Supernova. It is 30 x 20ins.
I also have a montage to paint later in the year for Tiff, of some of his favourite cars he has raced at Le Mans.
I did one for him previously of his single seater career but now he wants the sportscars.
Attached Thumbnails
sears962.jpg  
Old 19 Aug 2002, 22:11 (Ref:361672)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Great painting! You're a talented chap!

Thanks. It's interesting to here about the Damon caps, I have many vintages of Damon cap!
Old 19 Aug 2002, 22:17 (Ref:361677)   #13
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might have some Tiff photo's if you need them.

That 90 Sear's car is spot on as well, I have a photo of the other side but it looks good.

Simon
Old 20 Aug 2002, 08:08 (Ref:361868)   #14
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam if you have the Le Mans 1990 video(i think its this year) with the Radio Le Mans commentary, the interview in question is on it.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 08:08 (Ref:361869)   #15
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks guys!
Tiff tends to keep loads of photos of his racing - the hard part will be for him deciding which cars to include as he has raced so many! I think he may also want some cars he raced in Japan - not just Le Mans.
A very under-rated driver I think. Just didn't get the breaks to go the whole way.
If I need help with pics I'll get in touch SL. Thanks for the offer.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 08:24 (Ref:361880)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by egor
Adam if you have the Le Mans 1990 video(i think its this year) with the Radio Le Mans commentary, the interview in question is on it.
It is a long time since I have watched that, but it could be why I remember the conversation!

I don't think it'll be long till I watch it again. I remember the early stages of the video and the Jags because of pits where in the first four places. They were stopping odd numbers one lap even numbers the next.

"There's two on the track, two in the pitlane..."
then the commentators voice gets raises in volume and pitch
"...that's a Jaguar 1-2-3-4!"
Old 20 Aug 2002, 16:00 (Ref:362148)   #17
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glory Days
Old 20 Aug 2002, 17:38 (Ref:362222)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Love this thread!

The '90 RLM video is the best, to my mind. I was going to point out that the Needell interview was on the '90 tape - the one in which Martin Haven tells Tiff that the "...cars been sitting there for 20 minutes and everyone is saying where the bloody hell's Needell?" - see, I can remember it virtually word for word - I've watched it so many times!

I am sure the "setting fire to someone's pit I don't like" interview was James Weaver and it was the same year - 1990. That year, Weaver drove the 43 RLR Porsche with Reuter and Lehto.

Andrew - thanks for the comments about the pics - they were the only two decent shots I got of that car. I know of Pete Boutwood - if I remember rightly, he used to do s pot of racing himself - did he use a fairly distinctive helmet design - I'm sure I've got a photo of it somewhere......

On the subject of the Brun Porsche's demise in 1990 - that was very sad indeed. Jaguar supporter or not, Walter, Oscar and Jesus deserved that 2nd place. I'm pretty sure I've got some useful photos from 1990 knocking about.........
Old 20 Aug 2002, 17:49 (Ref:362231)   #19
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I know of Pete Boutwood - if I remember rightly, he used to do spot of racing himself - did he use a fairly distinctive helmet design - I'm sure I've got a photo of it somewhere......
Yes, Pete ran in class B F3 back in 86/87/88.
He and Steve Robertson ( now Kimi's manager) could always be spotted around the paddock with their 80s 'Limahl' style barnets!
Pete first met Damon when he had him off while being lapped.
Despite this they became best mates - to this day.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 18:01 (Ref:362243)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
"...cars been sitting there for 20 minutes and everyone is saying where the bloody hell's Needell?"

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I've got some useful photos from 1990 knocking about.........

Me too, but they need scanning and they're at my parents...
Old 20 Aug 2002, 19:27 (Ref:362323)   #21
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah yes Ayse, i remember receiving some photos from 1990 of yours!
Old 21 Aug 2002, 20:25 (Ref:363177)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
Ah yes Ayse, i remember receiving some photos from 1990 of yours!
Ah yes!

By the way Paul, I owe you an apology - the last lot of pics you sent me - I'm afraid I've lost 'em. Yes, seriously. When I replaced my pc I thought I had saved them carefully - but I hadn't. Perhaps you could let me have them again?
Old 21 Aug 2002, 21:09 (Ref:363200)   #23
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah sure no worries. I'll send them in the next couple of days... there's a few of them!