Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Jan 2004, 23:48 (Ref:839793)   #1
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
IMSA delaying introduction of 2004 LMP regs

Just posted on DSC. Good news for some of the current ALMS competitors for sure.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 00:19 (Ref:839816)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
But slightly worrying, in the longer term. Might it not condemn the ALMS to old, out-of-date equipment, and have the teams lagging behind their European counterparts? I'd hate to see the ALMS as Europe's poor relation.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 00:43 (Ref:839849)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this with the blessing of the ACO.

In 2004 at least what actual difference will this make? Current cars only need to run a slightly smaller rear wing and fual tank afterall.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 01:04 (Ref:839863)   #4
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
What is driving this? Competitors?
Old 16 Jan 2004, 01:24 (Ref:839876)   #5
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this really doesnt make much sense to me. all the LMP teams would be in the same boat, changing the wings and fuel tank. there was no 2004 spec LMP1 car anywhere. The only diffrence now is that the MG's are back in LMP675. which could turn out to be worse. How many LMP900's?

1x champion, 1x AutoCon and 1x Intersport R&S. 3 LMP900 cars! then there would be 8-9 LMP675 cars... really doesnt make sense for the alms to do this!
Old 16 Jan 2004, 03:01 (Ref:839923)   #6
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sure the Lola MG's will run in the LMP1 class...

I suspect they are keeping the old rules since there are no new cars. Whats gained by having all the present LMP teams changing to the shorter wings...
Old 16 Jan 2004, 03:43 (Ref:839943)   #7
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess is that this has mostly to do with Dyson. I think they were pretty ticked off after being told no change would happen and then they did extensive testing (remember the 3 days at Sebring after the season?). I think there may have been a chance they might have withdrawn after what they may have perceived as a bs move. If I have it straight Dyson was one of the teams NOT to accept their auto entry for 2004 (along with Joest and Bentley) after saying last year they really wanted to do Le Mans in 2004.

Smart move to leave things status quo with no new LMPs coming on board. It also shows a willingness by the ACO to be able to "help" ALMS instead of it always being the other way. Maybe some second thoughts by the ACO on the effect the LMES is appearing to have on ALMS has made them realize that helping ALMS as a partner is in their best interest.

Last edited by BobN; 16 Jan 2004 at 03:46.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 03:48 (Ref:839945)   #8
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another question what happens to the "Euro" teams that will be running the 2004 spec's but what to come over for Sebring etc.? I guess they will have to change the cars depending what side of the atlantic there on...
Old 16 Jan 2004, 04:15 (Ref:839953)   #9
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PAt, that would seem to be the case. Again, because there are no new LMP1s for 2004 it shouldn't be a problem for those theams either. They should all have set up info for 2003 packages. Being Sebring preceeds all the LMES races they won't be doing a back and forth in configurations or fuel stratagies.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 04:22 (Ref:839956)   #10
awegrzyn
Racer

awegrzyn has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I hate to say this, but there won't be no ALMS 3 years from now if they continue doing what their are doing.

I'm not going to the races this year anymore. I prefer to see 10 prototypes in some european event on TV then 3 prototypes live.

Last edited by awegrzyn; 16 Jan 2004 at 04:23.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 04:34 (Ref:839962)   #11
dscwall
Rookie

dscwall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at the moment there is NO tv deal to cover the LMES, and with no prize money or start money you might struggle to see 10 prototypes in Europe
Old 16 Jan 2004, 04:40 (Ref:839965)   #12
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO, IMSA HAS to become part of a real international championship to survive. Right now, it is nothing more than a north American series that happens to have the same rules as Le Mans.

A series like IMSA that is based on technology rather than managed competition can't survive without new cars in the class that shows off that technology.

If there is going to be a battle of G/A and IMSA for survival in north America, G/A will win.

IF a true world championship was formed, AND it was marketed and promoted as well as F1, then and only then would an American car maker actually consider building a prototype.

NASCAR gives GM, Ford and Chrysler alll the north American exposure they need. They have no need to spend a cent on a north American VERSION of a European series.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 09:14 (Ref:840097)   #13
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
This was always going to be an interim year - This is a VERY sensible move by the ALMS to retain current competitors whilst the sportscar scene settles down.

And yes btw this is with the ACO's blessing.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 13:00 (Ref:840293)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Managed Competition" -- you mean "Race Fixing"? Since when did we decide REAL competition was not a part of racing anymore?

For those who believe racing is entertainment and only entetainment, a pre-scripted event will be fine -- the Harlem Globetrotters draw very well whenever they come to town, and so does the WWF.

But for those of us who like RACING, "managed competition" will never be satisfactory.

I agree we ought to go international. I plan to go international in June, as usual.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 13:31 (Ref:840337)   #15
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ratel, it's your turn now - get a move on!
Old 16 Jan 2004, 13:52 (Ref:840372)   #16
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
PatB - I highly doubt those that are using the "European" regs will need to change to be legal. They will likely have the option to do as they choose.

dscwall - It would seem between the two classes LMP1, & LMP2 there will be at least 12 LMP's at each event in the ALMS.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 20:39 (Ref:840858)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And 14+ LMP1s and 5+ LMP2s in LMES.

I don't think theres been start/prize money in any European racing for a long time.

Last edited by JAG; 16 Jan 2004 at 20:40.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 21:59 (Ref:840959)   #18
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about American Spirit? Were they not preparing two cars according to LMP2 rules? That certainly throws a wrench in the works for their 2004 campaign doesn't it?
Old 16 Jan 2004, 23:08 (Ref:841045)   #19
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
What about American Spirit? Were they not preparing two cars according to LMP2 rules? That certainly throws a wrench in the works for their 2004 campaign doesn't it?
Perhaps you missed it, all LMP teams voted to have the 2004 rules implementation delayed. Given this, I doubt it throws a wrench into anything.

Besides, IF a car is purchased that conforms to 2004 regs to run by anyone (ie. the new Lola), it won't be turned away. This change is to be inclusive of all, and minimize costs of change and testing that would be required.

Two thumbs up for the change.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 23:27 (Ref:841064)   #20
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, the current LMP2 regs encompass the old 675 regs so the old aluminium tubbed 675s are now called "LMP2". I don't think AmSpirit will actually convert those Lolas to "new" LMP2, they will still be 675s.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 03:38 (Ref:841178)   #21
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still don't quite understand, so maybe someone can explain exactly what the rules change delay means...

Let's say Team "X", running to 2003 rules (at 675 kg and with larger wing) wins the small displacement prototypes class at Sebring (regardless if the choose to still call it LM675 or LMP2)....Will they have to increase the weight to 750kg and make the other modifications as per 2004 ACO rules to run in the LMP2 class at Le Mans?
Old 18 Jan 2004, 07:40 (Ref:842119)   #22
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I don't see any mention of the 750 kgs thing anywhere now... oh, sorry ! The new chassis are 750 kgs balanced : Courage C65 at least...
Old 18 Jan 2004, 09:34 (Ref:842159)   #23
Scrutineer78
Racer

Scrutineer78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham Goodwin
This was always going to be an interim year - This is a VERY sensible move by the ALMS to retain current competitors whilst the sportscar scene settles down.

And yes btw this is with the ACO's blessing.
Ditto. The LMP class is yeh close to life support here and hopefully this will allow some of the teams to grab some 2003 spec FIA cars and run them, then convert them for 05.

It's a tired tune but the GT and GTS class are just more attractive to the "new" manufacturers. So goes the LMP...
Old 19 Jan 2004, 02:21 (Ref:842885)   #24
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by dretceterini
Let's say Team "X", running to 2003 rules (at 675 kg and with larger wing) wins the small displacement prototypes class at Sebring (regardless if the choose to still call it LM675 or LMP2)....Will they have to increase the weight to 750kg and make the other modifications as per 2004 ACO rules to run in the LMP2 class at Le Mans?
The delay relates to the penalties only - new categories and grandfathering specs remain in force.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 19 Jan 2004, 03:17 (Ref:842898)   #25
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how hard is it to set up the championship as international?
the transport costs would be huge back and forth back and forth Europe-NorthAmerica,Europe...maybe Japan...south america unless they do a world trip and start in sebring swing through canada then Spa 1000km, Nurburgring, 1000km Le mans, then US rounds then japan...
where is DHL or FedEx or even an airline like Delta, united, Luftansa, Iberia, any one-to be the transport sponsor, oh where oh where...