Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Oct 2021, 14:26 (Ref:4079729)   #101
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
I've always said that about the GP layout. It never really brings the usual exciting racing. Overtaking seems much less prevalent on that layout. For what is always built up as the best event of the year, its often the least for action.
I do not agree with this at all! Last year, when it was the second round, we had three exciting races, some of the best of the season. In 2019, it was one of the most thrilling title deciders I've ever witnessed. In 2018 we had that final round battle for the lead between Cook and Sutton where they were side-by-side for almost an entire lap. In 2017, Turkington put in the drive of his career to win race two from 15th on the grid and keep the title fight alive. In 2016, Shedden had to pass Tordoff on track to win. In 2015, Shedden fought from the back to get fourth and beat Plato for the title. 2014 was pretty much over before we got to Brands, but we still had that great race which Morgan won. In 2013, Jordan fought from the back in the final race to win the title. 2012 was wet but we had wins for Aron Smith and Frank Wrathall. And then the 2009 final round was another of the greatest ever title battles between Turkington, Plato and Giovanardi. I will not allow the Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit to be insulted like this; it's the best track on the calendar.
Old 24 Oct 2021, 14:28 (Ref:4079730)   #102
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Am I the only one that cannot stand Paul O'Neill on the itv coverage? He over reacts to literally everything.
Old 24 Oct 2021, 14:30 (Ref:4079731)   #103
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Huge credit to Ash Sutton for taking the championship. A fantastic season from him, it's rare that it is clear who will win the title so early in the year. Hopefully the rest will be closer next year, and I think they will be. WSR have had a bad season by their high standards, but they will be back stronger and hopefully Turkington will stay. Tom Ingram should also be stronger when he and the team have more experience with the Hyundai. The scrapping of success ballast should also reduce Sutton's advantage. Congratulations, Ash Sutton. Class drives too from Josh Cook, who is now third in the championship and will start ahead of Hill and Ingram for the final race, and Dan Lloyd with a fourth podium in the last three rounds, as Power Maxed's season has absolutely turned on its head.
Old 24 Oct 2021, 14:33 (Ref:4079732)   #104
BTCC frog
Veteran

Jelley and Chilton on the front row for race three. That is Jelley's fourth reversed grid pole of the season, after Thruxton, Snetterton and Knockhill. From the unluckiest driver on the grid in the last four seasons, he seems to have become the luckiest in 2021, as that is the equal most reversed grid poles in one year ever in the BTCC, with Sam Tordoff from 2016.
Old 24 Oct 2021, 14:34 (Ref:4079733)   #105
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
Am I the only one that cannot stand Paul O'Neill on the itv coverage? He over reacts to literally everything.
Doesn't seem like you can stand the championship at all so not sure why you're watching then.
Old 24 Oct 2021, 14:36 (Ref:4079734)   #106
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Jelley and Chilton on the front row for race three. That is Jelley's fourth reversed grid pole of the season, after Thruxton, Snetterton and Knockhill. From the unluckiest driver on the grid in the last four seasons, he seems to have become the luckiest in 2021, as that is the equal most reversed grid poles in one year ever in the BTCC, with Sam Tordoff from 2016.
That's quite the stat! But has failed to convert any to a win so far. Would've loved to have seen Smiley get it in this last race and would've been on the front row if not been taken out (?). Deserved a podium at least this year.
Old 24 Oct 2021, 14:41 (Ref:4079735)   #107
BTCC frog
Veteran

Quote:
I think Paul O'Neill's commentary is great. He gets so excited and emotional but that is good; it's important for commentators to really love the sport they are commentating on. And in particular I enjoy the odd 'go on, son!' that sneaks into his commentary.
Old 24 Oct 2021, 14:51 (Ref:4079737)   #108
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What the hell is going on in Race Control today, 2 cars off between last corner and finish line close to the edge of the track, medical car on track and only a waved yellow flag.

I realise there isn't time to call the SC so it should of been a red flag to stop racing past the scene.

Safety being compromised for the sake of TV scheduling.
Old 24 Oct 2021, 15:01 (Ref:4079739)   #109
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Doesn't seem like you can stand the championship at all so not sure why you're watching then.
How? Because I've said this year has been boring. Which it has. Sorry forgot not allowed your own opinion on here.
Old 24 Oct 2021, 15:35 (Ref:4079743)   #110
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for the Mini's, Coates the race winner, Zelos the Champ.
Old 24 Oct 2021, 15:41 (Ref:4079744)   #111
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
As for the Mini's, Coates the race winner, Zelos the Champ.
Great race. Feel for Thompson there. Hopefully see a few of those guys in the BTCC next year.
Old 24 Oct 2021, 15:50 (Ref:4079747)   #112
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Great race. Feel for Thompson there. Hopefully see a few of those guys in the BTCC next year.
Yes, bit gutted for Bobby T, I hope some of the Mini drivers will graduate to the BTCC next year.
Old 24 Oct 2021, 16:12 (Ref:4079752)   #113
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well done Sutton, youngest triple champion. He deserves it. Turkington gave it his all in the second race, showing what a great champion he will always be. Cookie now takes the most wins this year. Just imagine if he hadn’t failed the ride height in R2 at Silverstone?

Some drivers are having a great end of season despite a tough year. Things are finally going right for Flash, up to 6th in the championship! Jelley has been on it this weekend, unlucky in R1, but great recovery in R2, despite a bent car. Chilton finally gets to grip with the Beemer, but R2 incident was his fault I have to see.

Another great weekend for Lloyd as well

Congrats to our other champions. Nice to see Cammish get the Porsche title. For me this has been the best support series this year

Now time for the BTCC final. The title may be decided, but we should have a great race. Let’s see what Jelley and Chilton can do from the front row
Old 24 Oct 2021, 16:45 (Ref:4079755)   #114
CroftPilgrim
Racer

CroftPilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
It means 1 TBL available, the car might not be for sale.
Given that Boardley Motorsport own 2 TBLS and Laser Tools one, if Boardley has as rumoured fallen out with the team, there's every chance there's no seat for Sutton next year. Rumours of new cars and teams might not be far off the mark. If Sutton returns for 2022 it will be with a different package (that's my guess anyway)
Old 24 Oct 2021, 17:15 (Ref:4079757)   #115
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So that's the season done.

Andy Neate finished his last BTCC race, Carl Boardley is heading for the exit as well.

For me the most anonymous driver of the year has been Sam Osborne. The least deserving of a seat has been Jack Butel.

Does anyone else have their end of season awards?
Old 24 Oct 2021, 17:22 (Ref:4079759)   #116
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
The least deserving of a seat has been Jack Butel.
Missed a few there... Neate, Edwards, Hamilton, Smelt. Jelley disappointing too with so many reverse poles and so few good results in a great car.

Really did expect a bit more from Boardley, awful last few rounds.

Rowbottom the surprise of the season. Lloyd, Smiley, Proctor, Moffat all had good seasons too, at least in part.
Old 24 Oct 2021, 17:23 (Ref:4079760)   #117
mark_l
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftPilgrim View Post
Given that Boardley Motorsport own 2 TBLS and Laser Tools one, if Boardley has as rumoured fallen out with the team, there's every chance there's no seat for Sutton next year. Rumours of new cars and teams might not be far off the mark. If Sutton returns for 2022 it will be with a different package (that's my guess anyway)
BMR Racing have 1 TBL (used by Sutton)
Boardley Motorsport has 2 licences (1 for Boardley, the other loaned to Team Hard for Hamilton)
Aidan Moffat Racing has 1 TBL (for Aidan Moffat)

So I'd expect to see at least 2 infinitis next year.

I am not sure if Boardley can continue to loan the TBL to Team Hard if they are no longer in the championship, so it will either be sold to Team Hard or returned to TOCA.
Old 24 Oct 2021, 17:30 (Ref:4079762)   #118
BTCC frog
Veteran

Quote:
So that's the season done.

Andy Neate finished his last BTCC race, Carl Boardley is heading for the exit as well.

For me the most anonymous driver of the year has been Sam Osborne. The least deserving of a seat has been Jack Butel.

Does anyone else have their end of season awards?
Least deserving of a seat Jack Butel is harsh. He improved this season and got in the points in the middle of it. I will write up a full ranking for all the drivers in the next few days, but Butel does not rate too near the bottom.
Old 24 Oct 2021, 17:36 (Ref:4079763)   #119
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wonder what Dick Benetts meant with we need help from somewhere! won't go further
Old 24 Oct 2021, 17:40 (Ref:4079764)   #120
mark_l
Veteran

England
According to my records, here are the penalty points issued up to R2 today.

5 Penalty Points: Andy Neate
4 Penalty Points:Jade Edwards, Chris Smiley
3 Penalty Points:Colin Turkington
2 Penalty Points:Senna Proctor, Jake Hill, Dan Rowbottom, Aron Taylor-Smith, Gordon Shedden, Rick Parfitt, Josh Cook, Tom Ingram
Old 24 Oct 2021, 17:55 (Ref:4079765)   #121
Evantra
Veteran

England
Also of note was how good the support series all were this year. Big grids and open battles for the championship. Even F4 was watchable this year. Only disappointment of course was not being able to watch half of them (Mini Challenge, looking at you.)
Old 24 Oct 2021, 19:42 (Ref:4079783)   #122
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Great final race of the year. Great 5th win of the season from Sutton. Shame though the SC came out just as Rowbo was catching him, that really killed the race for the win

Jelley did well to hold on for as long as possible, but sadly was taken off by Hill, who should have backed off. He was not enough alongside. At least Sonic ended the season with a fine 6th. Also good end of season races for Goff and Jackson

Can’t believe the season is over, been a bit of a blur at times. It took ITV’s end of season montage to remind me of most of the incidents this season
Old 24 Oct 2021, 20:55 (Ref:4079799)   #123
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
wonder what Dick Benetts meant with we need help from somewhere! won't go further
I think he was alluding to the boost levels the BMWs are allowed.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 07:50 (Ref:4079863)   #124
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
I think he was alluding to the boost levels the BMWs are allowed.
Playing devils advocate, the straight line speed of the BMW is about "on par" with the Infinity. I think its the curly bits they need to improve.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 08:02 (Ref:4079865)   #125
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Team HARD really should just give up.
Why - at what point should a team 'give up'?

Goff scored 77 points and came 17th and the team (considering their entry is split three ways) came 10th.

Should Ciceley or Excelr8 have given up after finishing 10th and 19th in 2019?
Should BMR and Laser Tools have given up after finishing 10th and 13th in 2018?
BTC Racing when they finished 11th in 2017?
PMR when they finished 14th in 2016?

If teams gave up after results akin to HARD.'s, then we'd just have Speedworks, Dynamics, WSR and Motorbase on the grid. I'm sorry - but a BTCC with only four teams entering is not for me.