Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Dec 2009, 03:43 (Ref:2594711)   #1
msportfan
Rookie

msportfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pre Race Entertainment

Just watching the pre race entertainment in sydney. Is it really needed? More cars, more laps, less singing and dancing!
Old 6 Dec 2009, 03:47 (Ref:2594715)   #2
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's been an extravaganza of road cycling, tap dancing and advertisemensts... Really exciting stuff... if you flick over to the golf.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 03:54 (Ref:2594716)   #3
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WTF - The Fujitsu Series Race 2 was shortened by 5 laps (ie. by more than 22%)............. for that????
Old 6 Dec 2009, 03:56 (Ref:2594717)   #4
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by msportfan View Post
Just watching the pre race entertainment in sydney. Is it really needed? More cars, more laps, less singing and dancing!
Was rather lame, I switched over to the cricket!
Old 6 Dec 2009, 03:58 (Ref:2594718)   #5
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went and read about Teflon Tiger the Cheetah...there is a 4th one about to come out...[waits]...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 6 Dec 2009, 04:33 (Ref:2594721)   #6
applecart
Rookie

applecart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SBS had the answer...Shannons Nationals from 1pm till 3pm (whilst the circus prepared on CH7), great amateur (read: real) motor racing action...then at 3pm switch across to CH7 just after all the pre event garbage wraps up
Old 6 Dec 2009, 06:29 (Ref:2594744)   #7
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a look at the F3's and Porsches meself, (and Julie looked good today without her usual bulky black jacket ), but I also wanted to catch the GTs and V8 qualifying from Homebush, so avoiding the tap dancing and the Tour-de-Homebush for Malvern Stars was awkward. Think I'll go all modern, get a DVD recorder and start watching the events at about 2:30 next year and fast forward through all the filler !!
Old 6 Dec 2009, 06:56 (Ref:2594751)   #8
KineticEnergy
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
KineticEnergy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When will these so-called professional entertainment promoters realise that the punters are just not interested, correction, totally p'ed-off with this sort of stuff at major events.

Open your ears for once. We are just not entertained by this sort of rubbish. If we are at the football, we are there for football, not baton twirlers (with all due respect to baton twirlers). If we are at a motorsport event, we are there to see motor racing, nothing else. Do not compromise on support motor races, just so that we can be forced to endure poorly choregraphed dancing girls. It might be what you like, but the punters do not.

End rant.

I am glad I was at home switching across to the cricket during this rubbish. Advertisers take note.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2594754)   #9
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just stayed with the cricket until i saw the grid animation during an ad break. Longer coverage is not better coverage.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 07:18 (Ref:2594757)   #10
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
It was like the bad old days of Bathurst all those years ago with all the marching girls on pit straight.

I don't have a problem with any of it to be honest except that it was on TV - what a waste of good telecast time.

If they weren't going to show any other racing (would have been great to see the development series guys) then at least they should have done a "walkabout" segment with Cromley or something of interest along those lines.

I never bother watching opening ceremonies for Olympics etc and if I'd know that this was what they were going to telecast wouldn't have bothered with this stuff (turned over to the cricket - much better).

Don't know who they think wants to watch it?
Old 6 Dec 2009, 07:37 (Ref:2594760)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
was not a fan. surprised they didn't pull out moving hills hoists or inflatable kangaroos on bicycles

We want racing.

if we want a concert we go to a concert (maybe we went saturday night)
Old 6 Dec 2009, 08:13 (Ref:2594770)   #12
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As the biggest pain in the arse on our roads, they at least could have had a car race on at the same time as the "pushies" for some real entertainment
Old 6 Dec 2009, 08:36 (Ref:2594772)   #13
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, it was a bit average.

Why a cycle sprint during a race meeting!?
Old 6 Dec 2009, 10:35 (Ref:2594833)   #14
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Yep, it was a bit average.

Why a cycle sprint during a race meeting!?
I would have said it was to get a different market of people to the event. I am sure every one of those riders had support in varying degrees. You only have to grab a couple from them and they bring others.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2594874)   #15
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When i flicked over to the opening crap from the cricket (then turned back to the cricket, as i was taping the entire telecast on the HDD recorder), i thought i heard Mr White's commentary in the background. It sounded like he was talking about Caruso and 3 wide into thar corner doesnt go..

When the race came on, sure enough, I heard very similar commentary at the beginning.

Whilst I flicked back to the cricket, I wondered what the relevance was with drummers hitting 20 gallon drums and flames bursting into the air, followed by a lof of random dancing and unchoregoraphed moves...

I then remembered about the XXXX girls. Seems I answered my own question.

At least the XXXX girls were giving away free beer (from what I heard on TV) and are easy on the eye...
Old 6 Dec 2009, 19:44 (Ref:2595019)   #16
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
I would have said it was to get a different market of people to the event. I am sure every one of those riders had support in varying degrees. You only have to grab a couple from them and they bring others.
You're right, in selling this 'event' to the pollies and the greater public, it was important to emphasise that even if you hated motor racing, then you could still buy a ticket and be happily entertained by cycling races, country music rising stars, kids puppet shows, whatever.
There were quite a few people I know who only bought tickets to see Chisel, and didn't even bother heading out to Homebush during the daylight hours. But their money is the same colour, and they still count at the turnstileometer.
Whether the treadly race would have attracted many paying punters who aren't interested in V8s is debatable, but Dick Smith paid the bills so all is well. At least the bikes didn't kill any golden bell frogs either, unlike the Valvoline cars with them splattered all over their headlights.
This was a unique event in how it was pitched, and I'd say a fair few of the dancing and cultural aspects were just ammo to throw back at any greenies or lefties who questioned the holding of a motor race at the site of what was called the clean and green games 10 years ago when the environment potato wasn't even warm compared to how hot it is today.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 22:18 (Ref:2595092)   #17
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowgto View Post
As the biggest pain in the arse on our roads, they at least could have had a car race on at the same time as the "pushies" for some real entertainment
Although I'm not sure why they had a bike race on. I'm a bike rider and enjoyed it, but its this sort of attitude to bike riders that gets people killed.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 23:24 (Ref:2595121)   #18
Porka54
Rookie

Porka54 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
WTF - The Fujitsu Series Race 2 was shortened by 5 laps (ie. by more than 22%)............. for that????
And possibly robbed David Russell of 2nd place in the championship the way he was progressing thru the field....it makes a joke of what is supposed to be the 2nd top series in Aus...and how do the Fujitsu car sponsors feel being cut out of prime time advertising....good motor racing or kids tap dancing on drums...easy choice...
Old 6 Dec 2009, 23:31 (Ref:2595125)   #19
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
Whilst I flicked back to the cricket, I wondered what the relevance was with drummers hitting 20 gallon drums and flames bursting into the air, followed by a lof of random dancing and unchoregoraphed moves...

I then remembered about the XXXX girls. Seems I answered my own question.

At least the XXXX girls were giving away free beer (from what I heard on TV) and are easy on the eye...
That sums up my thoughts perfectly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowgto View Post
Hear hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
Although I'm not sure why they had a bike race on. I'm a bike rider and enjoyed it, but its this sort of attitude to bike riders that gets people killed.
No, bike riders riding on roads meant for cars is what gets people killed. Motorways and Freeways are not intended for bicycles, and riding on the road (even where there are specially built cycle paths) is not safe for anyone - drivers and bicycle riders alike.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 23:59 (Ref:2595142)   #20
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Im not sure thats true Rotorfan (i accept the freeways part)

Roads are for everyone bikes, cars, trucks, horse and carriages. all need to be tolerant of each other and your comment and lowgto comment are not very tolerant of other road uses
Old 7 Dec 2009, 01:45 (Ref:2595196)   #21
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Peckstar and I agree anyone who rides a pushbike on a motorway or freeway is an idiot (And I think its illegal anyway, it is in my state) The biggest problem we have are the idiots on both sides of the fence who think they have more right to be on the road than anyone else and use the roads as there own personal playground with no though for other road users motorised or otherwise.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 03:50 (Ref:2595245)   #22
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to the topic at hand, it's not the first event to have the problem and it won't be the last. It also won't be the first to have NOTHING done about it and won't be the last. Indy's been the same for about 10 years.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 04:02 (Ref:2595249)   #23
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
As soon as those kids with the drums and flags came on I took the oppurtunity to grab a bite to eat-this pre race entertainment does serve it's purpose after all! Still trying to understand why there was a bike race on in the middle of a V8 meeting though- (if it had've been motorbikes then thats different). Superbikes around Homebush? hmmm...
Old 7 Dec 2009, 04:19 (Ref:2595253)   #24
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
MarkInTheStands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Just an FYI, the Bikes were on during the 1 hour Lunch Break on Saturday. Considering Dick Smith put a great deal of money behind it. They had a Track Store and advertising on the Telstra Screens. Apprently the Race was part of a tour happening that weekend and it was one "Special Stage".
Old 7 Dec 2009, 04:34 (Ref:2595257)   #25
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
horse and carriages.
Yep there should be more horse and carts out there.

Those people flying by in those motorised carts at warp speed are going to ruin the world, what do they think it is the 1940s!!! Some of these good-for-nothing motor cart pilots have even been spotted without the proper attire of the hat... I tell you they are up to no-good.

Seriously it would be good to see all users going slowly and patiently and more variety of horses, bicycles, rickshaws, scooters and diwheels out there sharing and taking a steady and safe journey at no more than 40 kph. Too many execs in SV6s who think they are mark skaife... darting around other cars, ignoring hard-to-see obscured red light pedestrian crossing (nearly bowling over woman and pram) because they were going to fast to spot it etc etc etc... save that for race circuits.