Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Sep 2003, 16:36 (Ref:727884)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indy

Nothing special says Alonso. I think the layout may be boring but since its inception I feel it has produced the best racing over the years. Even last year with the runaway victory, Indy still produced what I think was better racing than anywhere else behind the BS/Ferraris.

Maybe they knew what they were doing. As a matter of fact if the track was more technical there would be less passing and the US audience would become quickly bored with the event. Imagine a race like the one in Budapest in Indy. That would be suicide.

Last edited by neilap; 23 Sep 2003 at 16:37.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 17:30 (Ref:727924)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has the advantage of having one relatively easy passing point. I like the circuit, it does always provide good racing.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 19:14 (Ref:728022)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry if Alonso's alittle bored, but as a fan, you've got to like the racing it provides.

Danica Patrick
Old 23 Sep 2003, 21:27 (Ref:728144)   #4
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought they only intended to run the circuit for about 1 or 2 years then change it, so they incorporated another long run on the back straight?????
Old 23 Sep 2003, 21:47 (Ref:728158)   #5
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
I thought they only intended to run the circuit for about 1 or 2 years then change it, so they incorporated another long run on the back straight?????
Hello, Esorniloc,

Yes, the plans for a track using the back straight existed, but were shelved in early 2001. The most detailed study depicted a figure-of-eight track, with an overpass, like Suzuka (or Oran Park, for those in Australia, or Balcarce, or Hämeenlinna).

The construction of such a track would compromise the golf course that exists in the Brickyard complex (with eight holes inside the track and ten out of it), and the IMS decided against it.

Regards,

Muzza
Old 24 Sep 2003, 08:08 (Ref:728448)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What's a golf course doing inside a the track???
Old 24 Sep 2003, 11:44 (Ref:728624)   #7
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know, but we play football on one of the greens outside the back stretch in between support races every year at the USGP...
Old 24 Sep 2003, 12:09 (Ref:728646)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Indy has produced some good racing over the last couple of years, but i still reckon the F1 circus should be racing at Road America
Old 24 Sep 2003, 13:06 (Ref:728706)   #9
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Hello, ASCII Man,

Curiously, several times motorsport and gold crashed (I apologize for the poor pun) regarding the use of the same piece of land. The stillborn figure-of-eight road course at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is far from being a single case, ad I remember at least two more instances of similar situations elsewhere.

One is the Jarama track, in the suburbs of Madrid. The R. A. C. E. (Royal Automobile Club of Spain) had a plot in that area, and curiuously enough decided to split it between a race course and a golf course. The whole plot itself was not that large, so John Hugenholtz - the famed Dutch race track designer, commissioned by the R. A. C. E. to pen the course - was forced to "cram" the racing one into about 50% of the originally available land.

That was tough, as the track was supposed to bring Formula 1 back to Spain, and the FISA had requirements regarding minimum track lenght. So Hugenholtz was obliged to make full use of the slopes and hills of the plot, twisting the track around itself. That was an innovative concept for the time - albeit practiced before by LuĂ*s Roberto Sanson when he conceived Interlagos back in 1939.

Hence Jarama was considered an "odd" lay-out when it came to light, in 1967 - remember that those were days where the so-called natural race courses such as Spa-Francorchamps and NĂĽrburgring prevailed. Jarama was the original "mickey mouse" track, as it was there that Jackie Stewart coined the term, used to refer to slow and twisting tracks.

Another case is Bridgehampton, in Long Island, New York State. Regrettably this challenging track was closed years ago when the circuit fell into desrepair, and after the local town council was convinced by real estate developers (those "evil creatures" that sadly killed more than a few tracks around, Edmonton in Canada and Riverside in California are two that spring to mind now) that a luxury, high-end community build around a gold course would generate more revenue that racing...

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 24 Sep 2003, 15:11 (Ref:728790)   #10
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Indy has produced some good racing over the last couple of years, but i still reckon the F1 circus should be racing at Road America
Perhaps, but they'll probably have to butcher the place to get them racing there (FIA Tarmac on the exit of the Carousel...no thanks! )

The good thing about the American race is the speedway part, a long fast straight where cars can actually pass.....plus it's wide, so there's almost no chance of a first corner pile up since people have easy escape routes (though I probably shouldn't Jinx it like that!! )

The bad part of the track is....all the rest of it...nothing happens....

The real question is will any Americans turn up, after last years farce at the finish?? :confused:
Old 24 Sep 2003, 18:40 (Ref:728992)   #11
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To the best of my knowledge the term, "Mickey Mouse" track was coined regarding the 1967 Le Mans Bugatti circuit used for the French GP that year. In fact there is a video from 1967 called Nine Days In Summer, a chronichle of the first races of the lotus 49 which states, "Even one leading driver called the track a Mickey Mouse circuit!"
Old 26 Sep 2003, 03:39 (Ref:730384)   #12
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Hello, Bcobbus,

Thanks for correcting me - has anybody else any other information about the origins of the term "mickey mouse track"?

Regards,

Muzza