Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Jul 2018, 15:52 (Ref:3835462)   #51
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
A tough dude for sure!

First the Sandown wreck and racing straight away, and now this.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Jul 2018, 22:01 (Ref:3835564)   #52
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 8 Jul 2018, 23:43 (Ref:3835580)   #53
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't watch the races as I've been battling a nasty chest infection and a cracked rib. Looks like I missed a cracker of a few races
Old 9 Jul 2018, 02:53 (Ref:3835595)   #54
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sick of Rhiana's pitlane reporting too.
A lot of the people she talks to come across as putting up with her. And I agree, she is hunting for drama with her questions. She adds nothing to the telecast, but worse, she makes it less appealing and professional.
I have no problem with the female inclusions to the team but they have to make sense (I think Yates does a great job)
Old 9 Jul 2018, 04:58 (Ref:3835604)   #55
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Meantime, the house of 8’s are back, smacking them.. again..

And the Penskes can’t seem to convert to race wins.

And the retiring fella still has his race craft...
I was hoping the retiring one got up to 3rd in either of the races.
Raced hard all weekend though !
Old 9 Jul 2018, 09:09 (Ref:3835631)   #56
dirtymacca
Racer

dirtymacca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
A lot of the people she talks to come across as putting up with her. And I agree, she is hunting for drama with her questions. She adds nothing to the telecast, but worse, she makes it less appealing and professional.
I have no problem with the female inclusions to the team but they have to make sense (I think Yates does a great job)
Her hair looks much better this year...
Old 9 Jul 2018, 12:33 (Ref:3835650)   #57
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been three times, 2009, 2010 and 2014.

It amazes me how the number of grandstands has reduced each year.

In '09 there was a huge stand on the inside of the final turn and along the straight opposite the pits. It's gone.
There was another down near Officeworks at T2. Gone.
One at the kink at T1. Gone.
And more on the curve between T11 and T12. Gone

Are they too dear? Is it too hot to sit in the sun?

Not a bash - I'm just curious
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 9 Jul 2018, 12:58 (Ref:3835653)   #58
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymacca View Post
Her hair looks much better this year...
Agreed blonder, more curly and shorter
Old 9 Jul 2018, 13:10 (Ref:3835656)   #59
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Agree with all except the brackets at the end. For a team of talkers that supposedly prides itself on motor racing experience with Skaife, Ingall, Crompton, Larkham and Murphy, why is there not females on the team with proper motor racing experience??

As an aside, the presentation could get away with Larko on his own in the pits as well, why we need three pitlane reporters outside of Sandown and Bathurst is beyond me.
Old 9 Jul 2018, 23:32 (Ref:3835772)   #60
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Agree with all except the brackets at the end. For a team of talkers that supposedly prides itself on motor racing experience with Skaife, Ingall, Crompton, Larkham and Murphy, why is there not females on the team with proper motor racing experience??

As an aside, the presentation could get away with Larko on his own in the pits as well, why we need three pitlane reporters outside of Sandown and Bathurst is beyond me.
Have you ever been in pitlane? It can be a busy place with cars and crews and having people to cover all the stories makes for a more comprehensive coverage. Things can go wrong in pitlane that require reporters to be in two places at once.

Just the chatter that used to come through to Murphy, Rusty (when he was there), and Rihanna is quite intense. One reporter would never be enough!
Old 10 Jul 2018, 01:28 (Ref:3835782)   #61
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
A female with race experience would maybe work better.
But I see Yates' role being one that keeps Skaife and Russel in check, while keeping the telecast on track, something that most ex-racers could not do without some form of broadcast training.
She doesn't need to have deep inside knowledge but she does need to stop those that do from veering off on tangents, getting silly, and messing up the time constraints they have for each individual segment.
Old 10 Jul 2018, 01:42 (Ref:3835785)   #62
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as female pitlane reporters go, Ms Crehan is one of the better ones.

Even the revered Shea Adam has her cringeworthy moments.
Old 10 Jul 2018, 02:08 (Ref:3835788)   #63
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
As far as female pitlane reporters go, Ms Crehan is one of the better ones.

Even the revered Shea Adam has her cringeworthy moments.
I've only seen Shea work during the 12hr and she comes across very good.

I'm gonna take a punt and say you are one of only a few with that view on Rihanna. I cannot recall ever hearing someone say something positive about her. That is not an exaggeration.
(except for the comment above about her hair )
Old 10 Jul 2018, 02:19 (Ref:3835790)   #64
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will go as far as to say that the way she comes across on TV is not a reflection of her as a person. Hence questioning the expletives aimed at her in previous posts. That kind of thing is never acceptable in any circumstance regardless.

When she is given some freedom, she's very good. However that does not appear to happen very often. As GTR mentioned, everyone on the broadcast team is wired up to a director barking orders as to where to go, who to see, and what to ask. This happens on the fly, and in the heat of the moment it's easy to jumble words, when you're trying to hold two conversations at once. Where the likes of Mr Murphy, Mr Larkham, etc have an advantage is that they've been around the game a long time.
Old 10 Jul 2018, 03:04 (Ref:3835793)   #65
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Fair enough.
The natural concern shown for competitors injured has shown the real person she is on a few occasions during telecasts.
Old 10 Jul 2018, 03:57 (Ref:3835795)   #66
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A female with race experience would maybe work better.
But I see Yates' role being one that keeps Skaife and Russel in check, while keeping the telecast on track, something that most ex-racers could not do without some form of broadcast training.
She doesn't need to have deep inside knowledge but she does need to stop those that do from veering off on tangents, getting silly, and messing up the time constraints they have for each individual segment.
For what little it is worth it is one of my pet hates about the Foxtel coverage. Yates is clearly professional, more than just competent and yet appears to either be unwilling or otherwise held back from expressing opinions about what she sees and understands. Yet the job looks, in part, like having to keep those two boofheads (Skaife and Ingall) under control. Yates deserves to be treated better and should be treated better.

For a timely (if not particularly applicable) reference have a look at the commentators for the test cricket, announced today. Led by Alison Mitchell...
Old 10 Jul 2018, 04:45 (Ref:3835798)   #67
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The natural concern shown for competitors injured has shown the real person she is on a few occasions during telecasts.
No doubt as a result to her being the significant other to a driver who has suffered both injuries and potentially injurious accidents in the past. She knows the emotions such a person goes through in the immediate aftermath of such events first hand. (That is said in a complimentary vein, not as a criticism.)
Old 10 Jul 2018, 04:48 (Ref:3835799)   #68
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
No doubt as a result to her being the significant other to a driver who has suffered both injuries and potentially injurious accidents in the past. She knows the emotions such a person goes through in the immediate aftermath of such events first hand. (That is said in a complimentary vein, not as a criticism.)
Also as a WAG as well as media member, she is friends with many drivers and their partners.

Sadly the fact remains that she cannot speak to camera without tripping over her own feet, so she ain't qualified for the job.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 10 Jul 2018, 04:49 (Ref:3835800)   #69
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
For what little it is worth it is one of my pet hates about the Foxtel coverage. Yates is clearly professional, more than just competent and yet appears to either be unwilling or otherwise held back from expressing opinions about what she sees and understands. Yet the job looks, in part, like having to keep those two boofheads (Skaife and Ingall) under control. Yates deserves to be treated better and should be treated better.

For a timely (if not particularly applicable) reference have a look at the commentators for the test cricket, announced today. Led by Alison Mitchell...
Off topic but..... will there ever be another male lead on coverage of male related sports!
Old 10 Jul 2018, 05:35 (Ref:3835808)   #70
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Fair enough.
That probably stems from her medical background.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 05:45 (Ref:3836001)   #71
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool, so which bloke is going to lead the netball coverage then? Women want equality, well blokes want it to. Put up or shut up.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 06:04 (Ref:3836003)   #72
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
Cool, so which bloke is going to lead the netball coverage then? Women want equality, well blokes want it to. Put up or shut up.
Clementine Ford would be all over that

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 11 Jul 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3836058)   #73
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
If you were the team boss would you sack him for This

Hard to not consider it..
Old 11 Jul 2018, 13:06 (Ref:3836064)   #74
Umai Naa
Veteran

There'll be a few backsides getting kicked in that camp this week. Drivers, engineers, and management alike.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 14:03 (Ref:3836080)   #75
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
If you were the team boss would you sack him for This

Hard to not consider it..
I would at least bench him for the next round and put the enduro co driver (Steve Owen?) in the seat. Rabble Racing well describes it on that showing.

Last edited by E.B; 11 Jul 2018 at 14:09.